PDA

View Full Version : Will the next star qb please stand up

Kerr
06-03-2005, 01:12 AM
J.P.Losman, Bills

The Bills are relying on a player who has thrown five NFL passes as their starting quarterback. For a team that has playoff-caliber talent -- just missing the postseason in 2004 -- that's a risky proposition.

But the Bills have two things going for them: They believe in this kid, and they watched what Ben Roethlisberger did for the Steelers last year.

The Bills thought enough of Losman to trade away their first-round pick this year to get the Cowboys' first-round pick in 2004 to take Losman, even though Drew Bledsoe was their quarterback.

Buffalo decided to release Bledsoe earlier this year because they believed Losman was ready to take over. The Bills ranked 27th in passing yardage last year, which isn't good enough.

Buffalo coaches think Losman is ready, which is why they don't consider this a risk. And so far there has been nothing but praise coming out of Buffalo from players and coaches. Losman has been working hard with quarterbacks coach Sam Wyche the entire offseason, his appetite for success said to be insatiable.

He also seems to have the swagger quarterbacks need. Remember, he told anyone and everyone he was the best quarterback in the 2004 draft in the months leading up to it. With Roethlisberger and Eli Manning having success as rookies, he has some catching up to do.

"They call me cocky and I've been criticized for it my whole life," Losman told the Buffalo media earlier this year. "But I'm just a confident kid who prepares extremely hard and extremely well. When it comes to football, I know exactly what I want to do. I guess that's why I maybe come across a little too confident at times."

If he's as good as he thinks, Buffalo will love this kid. If not, the ghost of Rob Johnson might be what they talk about.

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8524129/2