Losman: Will the next star QB please stand up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NC-BILLS44
    • Jul 2002

Losman: Will the next star QB please stand up?

J.P.Losman, Bills
    The Bills are relying on a player who has thrown five NFL passes as their starting quarterback. For a team that has playoff-caliber talent -- just missing the postseason in 2004 -- that's a risky proposition.

But the Bills have two things going for them: They believe in this kid, and they watched what Ben Roethlisberger did for the Steelers last year.

The Bills thought enough of Losman to trade away their first-round pick this year to get the Cowboys' first-round pick in 2004 to take Losman, even though Drew Bledsoe was their quarterback.

Buffalo decided to release Bledsoe earlier this year because they believed Losman was ready to take over. The Bills ranked 27th in passing yardage last year, which isn't good enough.

Buffalo coaches think Losman is ready, which is why they don't consider this a risk. And so far there has been nothing but praise coming out of Buffalo from players and coaches. Losman has been working hard with quarterbacks coach Sam Wyche the entire offseason, his appetite for success said to be insatiable.

He also seems to have the swagger quarterbacks need. Remember, he told anyone and everyone he was the best quarterback in the 2004 draft in the months leading up to it. With Roethlisberger and Eli Manning having success as rookies, he has some catching up to do.

"They call me cocky and I've been criticized for it my whole life," Losman told the Buffalo media earlier this year. "But I'm just a confident kid who prepares extremely hard and extremely well. When it comes to football, I know exactly what I want to do. I guess that's why I maybe come across a little too confident at times."

If he's as good as he thinks, Buffalo will love this kid. If not, the ghost of Rob Johnson might be what they talk about.
  • Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Good article, except he had to bring up Rob Johnson at the end.

Comment

• NC-BILLS44
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
      Good article, except he had to bring up Rob Johnson at the end.
      I guess he couldn't control himself.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
        Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by NC-BILLS44
        I guess he couldn't control himself.
        Like it's diarrhea.

Comment

• NC-BILLS44
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
          Like it's diarrhea.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
            Sab and TD are insignificant
            • Sep 2002

I really think Losman will be a VERY pleasant surprise for us.

I also really really hope that the patriots have lost a step with the departures of crennel and weis.

that should open the division up for us at least a little bit (hopefully enough to be the first wildcard at the very least).
            www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• feelthepain
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by NC-BILLS44
              http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8524129

J.P.Losman, Bills
              The Bills are relying on a player who has thrown five NFL passes as their starting quarterback. For a team that has playoff-caliber talent -- just missing the postseason in 2004 -- that's a risky proposition.

But the Bills have two things going for them: They believe in this kid, and they watched what Ben Roethlisberger did for the Steelers last year.

The Bills thought enough of Losman to trade away their first-round pick this year to get the Cowboys' first-round pick in 2004 to take Losman, even though Drew Bledsoe was their quarterback.

Buffalo decided to release Bledsoe earlier this year because they believed Losman was ready to take over. The Bills ranked 27th in passing yardage last year, which isn't good enough.

Buffalo coaches think Losman is ready, which is why they don't consider this a risk. And so far there has been nothing but praise coming out of Buffalo from players and coaches. Losman has been working hard with quarterbacks coach Sam Wyche the entire offseason, his appetite for success said to be insatiable.

He also seems to have the swagger quarterbacks need. Remember, he told anyone and everyone he was the best quarterback in the 2004 draft in the months leading up to it. With Roethlisberger and Eli Manning having success as rookies, he has some catching up to do.

"They call me cocky and I've been criticized for it my whole life," Losman told the Buffalo media earlier this year. "But I'm just a confident kid who prepares extremely hard and extremely well. When it comes to football, I know exactly what I want to do. I guess that's why I maybe come across a little too confident at times."

If he's as good as he thinks, Buffalo will love this kid. If not, the ghost of Rob Johnson might be what they talk about.

If he's so great why are the Bill's the only team to recognize his talent??? Why didn't he play for Oaklahoma or Miami or FSU??? I think he thinks more of himself then most. I guess time will tell. To compare him to Big Ben or Eli is a bit of a stretch, at least to Ben, because the Steelers as a team are far better then the Jet's Bill's or Fins, so to think PJ will have success like Ben is dumb.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by feelthepain
                If he's so great why are the Bill's the only team to recognize his talent??? Why didn't he play for Oaklahoma or Miami or FSU??? I think he thinks more of himself then most. I guess time will tell. To compare him to Big Ben or Eli is a bit of a stretch, at least to Ben, because the Steelers as a team are far better then the Jet's Bill's or Fins, so to think PJ will have success like Ben is dumb.
                Here we go again. If Feeley is so good why is it the fisn were the ony ones to offer a 2nd rd.?

You still think Feeley is better than JP without taking away Jp's scrambling ability?
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Bling
                  • Jul 2004

If he's so great why are the Bill's the only team to recognize his talent??? Why didn't he play for Oaklahoma or Miami or FSU???
                  I think that's a horrible arguement coming from a Fin fan. I agree that everyone sees this guy through their red and blue glasses, but that has no bearing on how good he is. Just look at Brock Berlin, Jason White and Chris Rix. Hell, when did FSU or UM produce a good QB? Vinny T? Charlie Ward played basketball. Chris Weinke couldn't play with the Panthers. Dorsey couldn't beat out Rattey.

Comment

• jamze132
                    Don’t hate…
                    • Jun 2003

I guess John Elway and Jerry Rice sucked ass because they didn't play at Oklahomo, Miami or FSU!

Who the hell's gonna put a couple of guys like that in the HoF?

Comment

• bills_fan_atic
                      • May 2003

Need we remind dumb ass Dolphin fans that Tom Modrak who played a role in the drafting of Losman was also the trigger in drafting McNabb in Philadelphia much to the dismay of Eagle's fans? Whose laughing now?

I won't even start on the QB situation Miami. Like you guys have any room to talk.

What nerve! Frick'n losers!

Comment

• bills_fan_atic
                        • May 2003

I'd say that Bill's brass knows a little bit about drafting star quarterbacks, even if everyone in the football world is blind to the fact that we may have drafted the best in the class. What the hell do they know? I don't see any of them running football teams. Funny how Mike Sherman and Mike Martz were all over this kid but I guess they don't know jack about the postion either.

And they call me a block head....

Comment

• TigerJ
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Bling
                          I think that's a horrible arguement coming from a Fin fan. I agree that everyone sees this guy through their red and blue glasses, but that has no bearing on how good he is. Just look at Brock Berlin, Jason White and Chris Rix. Hell, when did FSU or UM produce a good QB? Vinny T? Charlie Ward played basketball. Chris Weinke couldn't play with the Panthers. Dorsey couldn't beat out Rattey.
                          Agreed. Ben Roethlisberger played for Miami of freakin Ohio and he did OK. As you say, if great QBs go to Miami, how did Brock Berlin end up starting for a couple years?
                          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Ferrygoat
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Bling
                            How about Jim Kelly

Comment

• kevinj22
                              • Feb 2005

Fin Fan you really make me laugh. Thank GOD that Kutztown state was around when it was, I'd hate to think about what kind of player Andre would have been playing for Miami. You guys have a lot of QB issues to deal with without having to worry so much about ours. I truly think that you are worried sick about this kid, and guess what, you should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X