PDA

View Full Version : Browns reach deal with LJ Shelton

Philagape
06-03-2005, 10:09 PM
Just saw it on the AP wire, will probably be on Yahoo, ESPN soon

One-year deal, didn't say how much, said it was insurance in case Verba holds out

Tatonka
06-03-2005, 10:53 PM
disappointing.

jmb1099
06-03-2005, 11:03 PM
Only a one year deal? Either he really didn't want to play here, or we didn't want him all that badly. At any rate its now time to cross our fingers and hope there is some magic in McNally's hat.

G. Host
06-03-2005, 11:31 PM
Shelton deal gives Browns leverage against Verba
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2075601

BuffRanger
06-04-2005, 12:49 AM
Only a one year deal? Either he really didn't want to play here, or we didn't want him all that badly. At any rate its now time to cross our fingers and hope there is some magic in McNally's hat.
u a brown's fan or a Bills fan?

jmb1099
06-04-2005, 08:38 AM
u a brown's fan or a Bills fan?
Are you serious???
Re-read the post and if you're still having difficulty then maybe I'll type out a direct answer to your question.

Jayhawk
06-04-2005, 08:41 AM
:curse:

Mr. Miyagi
06-04-2005, 09:06 AM
Are you serious???
Re-read the post and if you're still having difficulty then maybe I'll type out a direct answer to your question.
:snicker:

ghz in pittsburgh
06-04-2005, 09:12 AM
I'm a little disappointed that the Bills did not even put any effort to get Shelton as a backup, considering we have only Gandy as the primary option, a first time tackle in a former TE, and Teague who the Bills prefer not to move at LT position. Mind you I don't want Shelton long term, but as gap filling for this season, which seems to be exactly what the Browns did.

I remember Donahoe gave Shelton a pretty good endorsement earlier this year and the Bills brought him for a visit, and later Danahoe declared that "our coaches don't like him." The only logical conclusion I can arrive at is that McNally does not like him!

Fair enough - if a coach does not want to work on a player, the GM probably should not force the player onto the coach. But so should the blame if things does not work the way they envisioned. Should LT turns out to be such a killing spot for Bills offense this season, McNally and Mularkay should take full responsibility.

Mind you McNally is not perfect. I recall he did not like certain Guard from Arizona last year and that guard went to the Jets winding up with a pretty good year; meanwhile the Bills played musical LG all season long. Hopefully McNally did not see another Mike Pucillo in LT this year like he did in pre-season last year.

djjimkelly
06-04-2005, 10:54 AM
hopefully this causes a domino affect and they cut verba. i wouldnt mind to take a look at him at LT. but im thinking we either have to be satisfied with what we got or we are looking to next years draft for a young LT. on alot of 2006 draft boards there are about 5-6 LT's with first round grades.

howvere i do find it curious we didnt want to come up with a one year deal ourselves to not have to marry shelton on the books and cap

wchutalkinboutwillis
06-05-2005, 12:20 AM
Who can honestly say that they knew anything about LT Shelton prior to his name coming up as a trade option for Henry? Really. The guy is a nobody and we all got so excited at the chance to trade for him. "LJ Shelton??? Yeah, I think he's good. He was a first round pick and he started alot of games. He makes like 3mm a year. He must be good. Let's make that trade." I'll admit it; it sounded good to me at the time too. But I think it's a good thing that LJ is not a part of the squad. TD won that poker game and made Dennis Green pay.