PDA

View Full Version : To those who think that the reason for the Bills success, ....

WG
12-20-2002, 06:29 PM
...whatever of it there's been, who attribute that to Drew;

Cheers!

Originally posted by lordofgun

:clap: Excellent post! That's exactly what I've been trying to say. Look at last year...Henry didn't have even CLOSE to the numbers he does this year. It's because the Defense finally has a quarterback that it must respect.

That's pushin' it a bit.

So what you're saying is that the only major difference this season from last has been Bledsoe?

That's ridiculous. The OL is incredibly better than it was last year. Has everyone forgotten the rag-bag collection of "talent" that we had on our OL last year or what? I mean come on now. I can tell you this, that if Bledsoe would have had last year's OL, then he would've looked like a complete bust this season.

You guys put way too much credence into what Bledsoe has done. He only does positive and doesn't do anything negative.

Now someone start answering these questions one by one or I'm simply not gonna give the time to this argument anymore;

1) Which games were we so far behind in that we lost in which Bledsoe had to throw as much as he did?

2) Who's fault was it in the Oakland game that we fell behind to the point of needing to pass?

3) Why was the S.D. game so close and why couldn't we score anymore than 13 points through the first 57 minutes of the game? How did we finally score the winning TD? Did Drew's marvelous passing open up the run in that game?

4) How come Drew and the offense led by him have only been able to put up the following point totals offensively in 7 of the last 8 games:

16 Miami (game 1)
24 Detroit (at home v. the 28th ranked D)
7 v. N.E. (16th ranked D)
16 v. K.C. (32nd ranked D)
13 v. Jets (24th ranked D)
17 v. N.E. (game 2)
20 v. S.D. (25th ranked D, particularly when we threw twice as much as running Henry right up until the last 3 minutes of the game)

???

5) What is the excuse/defense/explanation in games that Drew has thrown the most, Henry has run the least, less than 17 carries/game, why do we have the worst record of all if we are supposed to have our "best chances of winning when Drew takes to the air the most"?? I mean if that's true, then how come it isn't?!

Oakland Game: Drew 53 attempts, 2 TDs, 3 INTs, 5 sacks; Henry 15 carries LOSS

2nd N.E. game: Drew 51 attempts, 2 TDs, 4 INTs; Henry 15 carries LOSS: Our largest deficit was 20! Q: Who's mistakes led to points 11-20 in that game for the Pats??

1st N.E. game: Drew 45 attempts, only 1 TD; Henry 11 carries (LOSS

Denver game: Drew 41 attempts; Henry 12 carries

First Jets game: Drew 39 attempts, 1 TD, 2 INTs (one of which set the Jets up at our own 19 for a TD), 4 sacks; Henry 31 carries for 149 yards, 3 TDs, 6 recpts. for 29 yards! Who contributed more to the points we got? Yes, Henry fumbled, but the Jets did not convert on the following drive and we got the ball back on the next drive at our own 37 and Drew was sacked for -10, threw 2 for 3 for a net 4 yards and forced us to punt?

Those were 5 of the 6 games in which Bledsoe threw for the most attempts!

Say what you will about those games. We were not significantly behind for the greater part of most of those games and when we were, it was often Drew who put us there if not always.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch:

In the 6 games in which Bledsoe has had the least 8 number of attempts, the Bills are 6-2 and in the 4 games in which he has thrown the 4 least, we're 4-0. In those games, generally speaking, Henry had his games w/ the most carries and most yards.

Say what you will, many of you act as if simply b/c you say something, that it's true. But these are facts. Dispute them if you will, but dispute them on the merits of the games and not with high-level, generic platitudes that really say nothing other than what you wish were the case.

Again, the facts:

In the 6 games in which Drew's thrown the most passes, the Bills are 1-5. It was also in those games that we allowed the most points against us! 218 in 6 games or 36.3 PPG allowed.

In the 8 games in which he's thrown the fewest, we're 6-2. In those 8 games, we allowed only 160 points or 20 PPG allowed! In those 8 games Drew threw for 300+ yards only 3 times out of 8. He threw for less than 260 yards 5 times. Less than 190 yards 3 times. The two games that we lost were K.C. in which many of you even criticized the team for not running Henry more and the other was the 2nd Jets games in which Henry ran very well but only got 17 carries while Drew threw for 0 TDs and 2 INTs that set the Jets up at midfield for 14 of their 31 points.

HELLOO!!! Anyone home McFly! :D

That's all 14 games to date! Say what you will, but it appears that if there's one line we can no longer use, it's "Our best chances of winning are when Drew throws the ball", because that clearly isn't the case![/b]

Sorry to say. That's just the way it is. Make excuses, blame other aspects of the team. Blame the weather. Blame the Defense. Blame the fans. Heck, blame the material that the field is made of.

In the meantime, please answer those questions above objectively and honestly.

Here's another:

6) Drew's had 2 Pro Bowl WRs, a PB OL, a PB RB, a PB FB!!

How come he cannot manage to beat his best seasons in N.E. by quite a margin?

Were we not told that he's got way more here than he ever had there? Were we not told that he had no OL in N.E.? Were we not told that he never had the WRs that he has here and now? Were we not told that Gilbride is much more suited to his "style" of player?

So what's the issue?

I know what it is. The question is when will many of you see through this facade that seems to give Drew this cult aura as if he's impervious to any sort of criticism and never, or rarely, responsible for any of his team's woes whether here or in N.E.?

I will say this; His first 5 or 6 games were the best football he's played in his life/NFL career. But his last 8 have been anything but good. They've been very, very mediocre at best.

If you take his performances over the last 8 games and extrapolate them out a full season, he would finish the year at:

3,866 yards, 57.2%, 6.62 YPA, 18 TDs, 16 INTs, 50 sacks

The team would have 316 PF and 348 PA

That's not very good football from an NFL QB w/ the offensive talent that we've had. The interesting thing is that while the other aspects of the team have gelled, Drew's the only aspect that seems to have regressed.

This G.B. game should spell things out a little clearer. I'm sure that it'll be the fault of the weather or something though. Meanwhile, Favre will do just fine.

:rolleyes:

Henry's Da Man!

ublinkwescore
12-20-2002, 06:39 PM
It's all Gilbrides fault - he's the one that needs to realize this.

I'm not saying that Drew Bledsoe hasn't contributed to this team, he has, but we need to run Henry like there's no tomorrow - especially against the Packers who are excellent at forcing turnovers.

We can beat the pack, but that's all dependant on how much we run Henry at them.

justasportsfan
12-20-2002, 06:52 PM
The thing is , some of us here expected the bills to win the SB. Fact is we won't but we are headed the right direction.We will need some fine tuning in the O and a rebuilding of the D. No matter how you look at it, Drew is a way better upgrade than what we had the last few years and Henry is getting better.

I get the feeling wys wants Rob back. :D

BillsMan80
12-20-2002, 07:54 PM
Wys, while I blame Bledsoe for the 2nd Pats loss, and somewhat for the Oakland loss, to blame him for the 1st Pats loss and the Broncos game is ludacris. The 1st Pats loss we got a TD to Riemersma, that we didn't review, when it probably would have been a TD, and then we went on to miss the FG. Also, that was one of the most pathetic displays of defense I have ever seen. We were just atrocious in the Pats game on defense. And the Denver game, don't even go there. Drew completed a good amount of his passes, had 2 scores, and 0 INTs. Drew played off the charts in that game. Drew played with great precision, and led us back at a rate that was amazing. Our defense choked when the going got tough in that game. Drew was orchestrating a comeback in that game, when Denver was thinking pass all game long. While we didn't establish Travis in that game, the Broncos run defense was dominant at home earlier in the year, and the Broncos got a TD directly as a result of a fumble from TH, although I don't blame that fumble on Henry because of the hit he took. Drew has taken his fair share of the blame, and I will put some blame on him, but to put blame on him for the Denver game is nuts. Same IMO for the KC game. We should have been running Travis in the 4th Quarter to keep KC's defense out of a rythm. Also, in that game, we allowed Trent Green to make 2 plays that won KC the game, including a TD run, and a 3rd Down run that resulted in a 1st Down. Not Michael Vick, but Trent Green.