PDA

View Full Version : Must have been really hard to design the throwbacks

BuffaloRanger
06-06-2005, 10:33 AM
TD: Fellas. I need a "throwback jersey" this year. Design me something great!

Front office Guy 1: Let's make them the same color as the uniform we used for 40 years!

Front office Guy 2: Great Idea! I never would have thought of that!

Front office Guy 1: Let's put 3 whites stripes on the sleeves!

Front office Guy 2: Whoa! Wait a minute. Are you kidding me?! It needs 4 stripes!

Front office Guy 1: Let's flip this standing Buffalo nickle for it. Hey, let's go back to the only other Buffalo we used on the Helmet!

Front office Guy 2: Wow! Brilliant! The Standing Buffalo! What a great idea! I chose heads (Buffalo).

Front office Guy 1: Heads. Damn. You win. 4 stripes it is. Now let's put out a press release that we are still tweaking the uniform, and will release it next month.

Front office Guy 2: Excellent! Hey what about putting a logo on the uniform or maybe even the word "BILLS" so it's not confused with a high school uniform?

Front office Guy 1: HaHaHa! No way! We don't want to be like all the other teams in the NFL do we??

Front office Guy 2: I was only kidding! The high school look is in this year!

BuffaloRanger: The uniforms are OK, nothing amazing. Since the Bills used the same uniform, only changing the number stripes on the sleeves for 40 years, this look is not surprising at all. And still no logos or BILLS on the uniform in keeping with the traditional generic look.

So wear these throwbacks with pride. Just don't wear them outside Buffalo. Unless you like answering the question "What college uniform are you wearing?" that you will be asked constantly.

Pride
06-06-2005, 12:19 PM
If the idea was to create a throwback uniform... they did exactly what they were supposed to.

We just re-did our primary uniform a few years ago... and they are vastly different.

TedMock
06-06-2005, 12:44 PM
I actually like the throwbacks quite a bit. I've never been a big fan of the new uni's. I don't think most teams broadcast team names on the jerseys. I guess several put that small writing under the front of the collar, but that's about it. I think the Jets have a small logo on the front shoulder too.

OpIv37
06-06-2005, 12:47 PM
Is anyone really surprised that they went to this look? the only other option was going back to the single wide stripe on the sleeves like the late 80's/early 90's, but that was the uniform they just ditched. And we know how TD is about admitting mistakes....

BuffaloRanger
06-06-2005, 01:37 PM
That's just it, it's not a bad looking uniform, just nothing to get too excited about. The Bills couldn't have done this 4 years ago when they still wore the royal blue. Can you imagine? "We will be changing the stripe design on the the sleeve for 2 games this year." Stop the press!

And actually the vast majority of teams have the name on the chest or logo on the sleeves.

TedMock
06-06-2005, 02:00 PM
And actually the vast majority of teams have the name on the chest or logo on the sleeves.

Right, and it's hardly even noticeable. Most of the teams that do that have it, have it in very small writing. You have to be close up to read it. It's a nice little touch, I guess, but insignificant. I guess I'm just more of a traditionalist. I like old-school uni's better than the new-school uni's. The Bears, Colts, and Packers are the uni's I like most. Everybody changes them up a little, but they've remained close to the original. The Jets and Giants went back to old-school, but I just can't bring myself to speak positively about them.

footballhottie
06-06-2005, 02:03 PM
I WISH THEY WOULD PUT BILLS ON IT!!!!!!! when i go to NE and where my bills jersey around..some times people think its a pats jersey..and i dont like that....

BuffaloRanger
06-06-2005, 02:24 PM
EXACTLY FBH!! Besides the Pats, I've had people think I was wearing a Texans or a Broncos jersey. The difference is only obvious if you have the different jerseys side by side. A simple "BILLS" under the V-Neck or the logo on the sleeves would make life better for those not in Buffalo.

Packers, Bears, and Colts can get by without the name or logo, because there are no other jerseys similar.

The old jerseys from the 90's looked just like the Giants. Last year I was at a restaurant eating dinner and at the next table over was a guy wearing what I thought was a Hostetler Giants SB25 jersey. I was in Seoul, S. Korea at the time. I was getting more and more pissed as dinner went on having to look at this jersey. As we left I gave the guy the dirtiest of looks as I walked by. Then I turned around and saw the name "KELLY" on the back. I had sat there at dinner all pissed and it ended up being a JIMBO JERSEY! So I walked over and apologized to the guy and of course asked him where he got it. Then I bought every one they had.

Historian
06-06-2005, 03:49 PM
I think they're great.

The team ditched all the small stripes after 1974 I think. Nice to see them finally celebrate something....anything.

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-06-2005, 04:02 PM
BR, I can't disagree with you more. They are a throwback jersey. They are as close to the 64 jersey as they can get without putting long sleeves on them.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
06-06-2005, 07:09 PM
something like this :question: If they put BILLS or our logo on the front of them they would look like NFLE jerseys and not throwback jerseys to tell you the truth I think there's too much stuff on the NFLE jerseys it doesn't look like a jersey it looks like a billboard. :lol: They did something original they took the BILLS jerseys of the 60's and put it on the 90's jerseys I think it's a good design at least they don't look like the Dorkphins throwback jerseys those ugly all orange ones.

Turf
06-06-2005, 07:35 PM
As far as the name Bills on the chest goes, what is a "Bill" anyways? Everyone knows what a Jet or Raven is, but a Bill? Its not a payment plan, or the beak of a bird, but obviously taken after Buffalo Bill, or Wild Bill Cody. Anyone drawing any inference from that name, would have to know that they could have used a vagina or the picture of Willy Nelson on the jersey.
Nah, the standing red Buffalo does it all for me.

Dozerdog
06-06-2005, 08:28 PM
Boy is it a long offseason.

Pissing and moaning because our blue jersey looks like 6 other blue jerseys in the league?

We could go with pink, or day glow yellow.

People- they are football jerseys. They aren't hockey , Basketball, or Baseball uniforms with the team name and crest on them. Just a color, and a big, fat number- a name if you are lucky. The Team crests are on the helmets- not a problem unless joe six pack wears one around town.

footballhottie
06-06-2005, 10:28 PM
i live in my jersey lol