PDA

View Full Version : You can get Alexander for a 3rd as well now.

ShadowHawk7
06-07-2005, 10:05 AM
Per NFL Total Access
Adam Schefter reported that there were/are discussions between the Jags and Seahawks about Alexander, and the Jags "balked" at giving up a 3rd rounder for him.

This probably doesn't bode well for getting a 3rd for Henry. I guess you have to factor the new contracts in for both, but still, I find amazing teams w/ decent needs at RB won't put out a frikin 3rd rounder for Henry, or even Alexander. Especially when the Eagles got away w/ a 2nd rounder for Feely. :mad:
I think we should shift our focus w/ trading TH. We should trade him for a decent player with upside now, not
A. Get a measly 4th rounder for a former Pro Bowl back
B. Watch him sit out, then release him.

We should be able to get a decent player for good/great depth that could eventually be a starter somewhere for him. Maybe at DT, DE, CB, or OL.

Just my :2cents:.
:feedback:

Nublar7
06-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Most teams would rather Alexander over Henry anyday of the week. If the Seahawks can't get a 3rd for him, I will be very suprised to see Henry traded for anything higher then a 4th rounder, or possibily at this point for waiting so long, a 5th rounder. The whole Henry deal was badly botched IMO.

Billsouth
06-07-2005, 10:42 AM
i disagree that it was mishandled. i dont think anyone would have agreed to accept a 4th rounder for th. it just happens that the market has tanked.

the only offer we received was for LJ shelton and we did not like him. i would rather take a 4th

Gunzlingr
06-07-2005, 10:55 AM
The difference is that there will be a huge difference in their salaries. Alexander is going to be after huge dollars, and Henry should be had for peanuts comparatively.

Mudflap1
06-07-2005, 10:58 AM
This blows. Travis had two nice years in a row before last year, 1,300+ yard seasons. Alexander is very consistent at 1,400 - 1,500+ seasons year in and year out though.

We're not gonna get squat for Henry now. We'll get a 4th for NEXT year, MAYBE.

Jon

unpaid_bills
06-07-2005, 11:02 AM
I think TD and staff did the right thing in waiting. Henry will not sit out, especially after he sees how unvalued the RB's are in the trade market. He will get a bigger contract in Free Agency. The only way to do that is show up at camp work had and play well when he gets his chance. He can show he is a team player stay in footall shape, take a full year to heal from all his past injuries. Plus you never know how things work out. That s just my opinion.

Tatonka
06-07-2005, 11:02 AM
i say keep henry until someone elses starter gets hurt..

gr8slayer
06-07-2005, 11:13 AM
That guy is going to end up costing someone an arm and a leg.

Mr. Miyagi
06-07-2005, 11:45 AM
WTF are the Jags doing "balking" at a 3rd rounder for Alexander?

There's bluffing and there's obviously stupid. If I were Seattle, I'd tell them to shove it up Fragile Fred's a$$ and change my demands to a 2nd rounder.

Philagape
06-07-2005, 12:20 PM
There's just no market for running backs. It's a position where individual talent is less important than at other positions.

Voltron
06-07-2005, 12:35 PM
WTF are the Jags doing "balking" at a 3rd rounder for Alexander?

There's bluffing and there's obviously stupid. If I were Seattle, I'd tell them to shove it up Fragile Fred's a$$ and change my demands to a 2nd rounder.

Looks like it is all about the salary cap HERE (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/local/story_txt.asp?date=050504&ID=s1516498)

Like the Bills the Seahawks are not the type of team that hands out huge signing bonuses like Washington and Indy.

Remember that Alexander is also on his last year of his contract and will be looking for a payday in 2005 just like TH, only Alexander has much better numbers and a better history when it comes to injury.

Travis can't carry a team like an Alexander or LT can. Not saying he is a bad back because I don't think that at all. Just that he is no Alexander.

ShadowHawk7
06-07-2005, 03:34 PM
I think TD and staff did the right thing in waiting. Henry will not sit out, especially after he sees how unvalued the RB's are in the trade market. He will get a bigger contract in Free Agency. The only way to do that is show up at camp work had and play well when he gets his chance. He can show he is a team player stay in footall shape, take a full year to heal from all his past injuries. Plus you never know how things work out. That s just my opinion.

Sounds like a decent plan to me.

This blows. Travis had two nice years in a row before last year, 1,300+ yard seasons. Alexander is very consistent at 1,400 - 1,500+ seasons year in and year out though.

We're not gonna get squat for Henry now. We'll get a 4th for NEXT year, MAYBE.

Jon

I'm pretty sure the Titans have offered a 4th rounder for next year, not that I'd take it, but yeah. I'd rather get a player at this point, or just keep him.

mysticsoto
06-07-2005, 09:02 PM
i say keep henry until someone elses starter gets hurt..
Gasp! We agree on something!!! :)

I think Alexander is commanding alot more money than TH is right now, so it should be kept in mind that the Jags would not only pay a 3rd rounder, but also alot of cash in a contract (read big cap hit). TH has not usually been high on demands (or smart for that matter) on the money issue.

Personally, I don't think paying a 3rd rounder for a good, proven RB is a bad at all. But b'cse of the glut of RBs that came in through the draft, in all likelihood, any team wanting to trade a RB will need to play a waiting game until the injuries begin. And I'm sure Chris Brown will be at the top of that list. :D

Be patient people...it'll work itself out.

Meathead
06-07-2005, 09:24 PM
That's right. That's the huge thing people are forgetting.

For example, would you rather spend a 3rd round pick and 2 mil a season for a 1200+ yard starter or a 3rd and 5 mil for 1400+ yards?

Sure, Henry isn't the major stud Alexander is, but he's still a major bargain.

Believe it or not, it's likely the time will come early this season when some team will lose their featured back and when we look around it will suddenly look like the buffet table after a Sally Struthers family reunion picnic - scraps and bones. When that happens a 3rd rounder will appear cheap for Henry.

ShadowHawk7
06-07-2005, 10:42 PM
That's right. That's the huge thing people are forgetting.

For example, would you rather spend a 3rd round pick and 2 mil a season for a 1200+ yard starter or a 3rd and 5 mil for 1400+ yards?

Believe it or not, it's likely the time will come early this season when some team will lose their featured back and when we look around it will suddenly look like the buffet table after a Sally Struthers family reunion picnic - scraps and bones. When that happens a 3rd rounder will appear cheap for Henry.
Good post.

ExWNYer
06-08-2005, 06:06 AM
Per NFL Total Access
Adam Schefter reported that there were/are discussions between the Jags and Seahawks about Alexander, and the Jags "balked" at giving up a 3rd rounder for him.

This probably doesn't bode well for getting a 3rd for Henry. I guess you have to factor the new contracts in for both, but still, I find amazing teams w/ decent needs at RB won't put out a frikin 3rd rounder for Henry, or even Alexander. Especially when the Eagles got away w/ a 2nd rounder for Feely. :mad:
I think we should shift our focus w/ trading TH. We should trade him for a decent player with upside now, not
A. Get a measly 4th rounder for a former Pro Bowl back
B. Watch him sit out, then release him.

We should be able to get a decent player for good/great depth that could eventually be a starter somewhere for him. Maybe at DT, DE, CB, or OL.

Just my :2cents:.
:feedback:

A. Andre Reed was "a measly 4th rounder". Don't underestimate the value of draft picks. No matter the round, they are valuable commodities. BTW, the Bills had four undrafted street FAs make the team, three of which were significant contributors last year.

B. He won't sit out...he has nothing to gain and everything to lose. If he stupidly sits out the entire season, he will be fined a large amount of money which he doesn't have and the Bills will still retain his rights since he won't have played/been active for the minimum six games required to earn his free agency.

[QUOTE=Meathead]That's right. That's the huge thing people are forgetting.

[QUOTE]

I basically said the same thing, yesterday, in the "Thurman is right, get Henry out of here!" thread.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=72904

BuffaloRanger
06-08-2005, 12:44 PM
Getting a top 5 RB for a 3rd rd pick? I'd take Alexander over "big time contributers" like Crowell, Anderson, or Everett every single time. Win now.

If the Jags have the cap space they should pull the trigger and make him a Top 5 paid RB. But that would be bad, bad, bad for the Bills wildcard chances.

pleasesavedrew
06-08-2005, 02:36 PM
Henry will not sit out, he'll cave if hes not traded by end of camp.

Im shocked that Alexander is avalable for a third rounder. I would rather havde him then McGahee. hes ypoung and hes excellent, far better than henry. I would think It just got a lot harder to trade henry.

Stewie
06-08-2005, 02:47 PM
Hey guys pay attention to the main forum. The trade rumor is bogus, says Jacksonville.

mysticsoto
06-08-2005, 09:22 PM
Henry will not sit out, he'll cave if hes not traded by end of camp.

Im shocked that Alexander is avalable for a third rounder. I would rather havde him then McGahee. hes ypoung and hes excellent, far better than henry. I would think It just got a lot harder to trade henry.
If Henry sits out, he has to stay with the Bills for another year then!!! What kind of sense would that make? Even Henry is not that dumb. If he is still here at the start of the season, he has to do everything he can to play and get in and look good so next year some other team offers him a lucrative contract!

wchutalkinboutwillis
06-08-2005, 10:27 PM
Getting a top 5 RB for a 3rd rd pick? I'd take Alexander over "big time contributers" like Crowell, Anderson, or Everett every single time. Win now.

If the Jags have the cap space they should pull the trigger and make him a Top 5 paid RB. But that would be bad, bad, bad for the Bills wildcard chances.
Well said. But what's taking so long for someone to make a move on these established starting running backs? Is it a poker game? Is it a situation of waiting until your top back drops? Does it have something to do with the CBA? I would guess all of the above, but to see these players available is definitely strange.

Gunzlingr
06-09-2005, 09:00 AM
If I was TH, I would be out there busting my ass, showing the other teams that I was not only a workhorse, but a team player. Then come game time, whatever action I saw, I would make the most out of it to drive my value up at the end of the year. That's what I would do.