PDA

View Full Version : Surprise Bills for 2005

Italian Stallion
06-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Who do you guys think will become one of our top performers this season, who might not be talked about all that much right now?

My vote is for Ron Edwards. He hasn't had many opportunities to play full-time, and he may give a little in the run stopping department (although that could become less of a problem if he plays full time), but his pash rush skills could create another problem for opposing offenses to worry about, therefore increasing his sack and tackles for loss total, but more importantly, freeing up our other big playmakers ala Spikes, Schobel, Fletcher, Adams in the front 7.

I see him as a 6-9 sack player with many TFL. Plus he is in a contract year, UFA IN 2006.

Of this list provided, (UFDA's excluded till mid training camp) who do you guys think will be that player for us this season? Most of these guys are in contract years, interestingly enough. (I hate polls, so i figured we could just discuss)

Ron Edwards (for reasons stated above)

Mark Campbell (Underused last year, and if healthy could be a very solid weapon for the offense, with his veteran experience and toughness)

Kevin Thomas (solid nickel corner in contract year, is he starting material?)

Mike Gandy (Bills seem to be hitching on him making an impact at LT. Can he produce enough to make us fans no longer worry about the position?)

Josh Reed (We all know his story, but can he actually produce enough with the addition of Parrish and emergance of Evans, to stick past 2005?)

Rian Lindell (Again we all know this tune, but will Rian become the solid kicker the Bills need him to be, or will his accuracy cost us games?)

Romes
06-07-2005, 02:23 PM
I think it'll be Gandy.

McNally liked him over Shelton. He had more upside coming out of college than Jennings. He has had injury problems but I see him making us forget about Jennings.

I agree with you though. Edwards will be good. He is good at rushing the passer from the DT spot.

It'll be fun to see how these guys pan out.

Bulldog
06-07-2005, 02:36 PM
Who do you guys think will become one of our top performers this season, who might not be talked about all that much right now?

My vote is for Ron Edwards. He hasn't had many opportunities to play full-time, and he may give a little in the run stopping department (although that could become less of a problem if he plays full time), but his pash rush skills could create another problem for opposing offenses to worry about, therefore increasing his sack and tackles for loss total, but more importantly, freeing up our other big playmakers ala Spikes, Schobel, Fletcher, Adams in the front 7.

I see him as a 6-9 sack player with many TFL. Plus he is in a contract year, UFA IN 2006.

Of this list provided, (UFDA's excluded till mid training camp) who do you guys think will be that player for us this season? Most of these guys are in contract years, interestingly enough. (I hate polls, so i figured we could just discuss)

Ron Edwards (for reasons stated above)

Mark Campbell (Underused last year, and if healthy could be a very solid weapon for the offense, with his veteran experience and toughness)

Kevin Thomas (solid nickel corner in contract year, is he starting material?)

Mike Gandy (Bills seem to be hitching on him making an impact at LT. Can he produce enough to make us fans no longer worry about the position?)

Josh Reed (We all know his story, but can he actually produce enough with the addition of Parrish and emergance of Evans, to stick past 2005?)

Rian Lindell (Again we all know this tune, but will Rian become the solid kicker the Bills need him to be, or will his accuracy cost us games?)

My vote is for Kelsay. He started to show some signs of life last year and I think he will continue to improve and could be a nice compliment to Schobel. And I might be mistaken, but didn't the Bills extend Kevin Thomas recently?

Italian Stallion
06-07-2005, 02:45 PM
My vote is for Kelsay. He started to show some signs of life last year and I think he will continue to improve and could be a nice compliment to Schobel. And I might be mistaken, but didn't the Bills extend Kevin Thomas recently?

Nah, they just signed him to a 1 year tender, he's a UFA next year. I like your pick of Kelsay, but in my opinion he already has established himself opposite Schobel as a good threat, thats why i didnt list him.

ShadowHawk7
06-07-2005, 03:36 PM
I think it'll be Gandy.

McNally liked him over Shelton. He had more upside coming out of college than Jennings. He has had injury problems but I see him making us forget about Jennings.

I agree with you though. Edwards will be good. He is good at rushing the passer from the DT spot.

It'll be fun to see how these guys pan out.
Agreed. Either Edwards or Gandy.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
06-07-2005, 03:44 PM
I agree with Edwards, Gancy and Thomas. I think Reed will fade into an official "bust" and I can honestly see Lindell not being our kicker for 16 games. He'll be gone either before September or in late October I think.

My "duh" picks are Losman (he'll be a more complete QB than many think he will be) McGahee (I love the guy...think he is great....but I think he will prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he is a top 5 RB this season...and I think he stays healthy for the most part) Evans (if he is the real deal he should be able to overcome the "sophomore jinx"), and .......hold on for this one folks.........I don't want anyone to choke on their Diet Coke

Lavaule Sape.
Just remember I called it.

Tatonka
06-07-2005, 03:46 PM
if it is not gandy, season over.

buffalofan19
06-07-2005, 04:05 PM
Not that I don't think that Edwards can be good this year, but Edwards had the starting role back in 2002 and did not do well at all. It was one of the main reasons the Bills went out and signed Sam Adams to begin with. Now, only time will tell if Edwards has learned from two years ago, but it is a falsity to say that he has not been given a fair shot, because he has. It is also for that reason that I am not as optimistic with the departure of Pat Williams. While that seemed inevitable, after watching Edwards in 2002, he still has a lot to show me before I jump onto his bandwagon.

Italian Stallion
06-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Not that I don't think that Edwards can be good this year, but Edwards had the starting role back in 2002 and did not do well at all. It was one of the main reasons the Bills went out and signed Sam Adams to begin with. Now, only time will tell if Edwards has learned from two years ago, but it is a falsity to say that he has not been given a fair shot, because he has. It is also for that reason that I am not as optimistic with the departure of Pat Williams. While that seemed inevitable, after watching Edwards in 2002, he still has a lot to show me before I jump onto his bandwagon.

Edwards was only a second year player in 2002, an inexperienced guy who was thrust into the lineup due to lack of talent/bodies. Not to mention the starters in the secondary consisted of Coy Wire (rookie), Prioleau, stone hands winfield. KEITH NEWMAN and EDDIE ROBINSON flanking the 209 tackle machine Fletcher, and CHIDI AHANATU opposite Schobel......not a very impressive cast if you ask me, and not something to judge Edwards from.

I'm not saying he's gonna be amazing, but i like his chances to at least generate enough noise to detract some attention from our main playmakers on defense..

THATHURMANATOR
06-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Nah, they just signed him to a 1 year tender, he's a UFA next year. I like your pick of Kelsay, but in my opinion he already has established himself opposite Schobel as a good threat, thats why i didnt list him.
Well he hasn't

gr8slayer
06-07-2005, 04:22 PM
Willis McGahee!!!

buffalofan19
06-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Edwards was only a second year player in 2002, an inexperienced guy who was thrust into the lineup due to lack of talent/bodies. Not to mention the starters in the secondary consisted of Coy Wire (rookie), Prioleau, stone hands winfield. KEITH NEWMAN and EDDIE ROBINSON flanking the 209 tackle machine Fletcher, and CHIDI AHANATU opposite Schobel......not a very impressive cast if you ask me, and not something to judge Edwards from.

I'm not saying he's gonna be amazing, but i like his chances to at least generate enough noise to detract some attention from our main playmakers on defense..
I understand that. However, after 2002, the Bills did a major overhaul of defensive personnel. Many players were replaced in the starting line up, including Edwards. And what happened? They all of a sudden became a Top 5 defense. Edwards was one of the guys the Bills felt they could improve on by replacing in the starting lineup. Now I realize Edwards' playing time increased last year, but I still don't think the Bills are now at a point where they "won't miss a beat" with Williams gone. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that Edwards sucks, but at the same time, I think he will be "servicable" as a starter and not much more. I don't see the interior line being as dominant as it was last year.

B-DON
06-07-2005, 05:59 PM
our defensive line will be just as good if not better. Williams is old and running om a very low tank so we got rid of him. what we lack in edwards we will definnitely make up for in kelsay. he will have a huge 8-10 sack season and the front four will have us all saying pat who?

The_Philster
06-07-2005, 06:09 PM
I think it's gonna be a fight just to get him on the 2005 final 53-man roster

Willis McGahee!!!He said "surprise"

pleasesavedrew
06-07-2005, 09:10 PM
ron edwards started all of 2002 at dt. he wasnt good enough to keep his job, so we went and got adams, but i think that i would vote for him to, just because he had 4 sacks last year and has starter experince. also watch out for fast Freddie Smith, im thinkin he could have a Mcgee like year runnin back punts, he just really got it goin last year and was close to scorin a few times after he actually did. I just he hope he can stick as a 5th or maybe 6th recever.

G. Host
06-07-2005, 09:44 PM
I think it's gonna be a fight just to get him on the 2005 final 53-man roster
He said "surprise"

It will be a surprise if he does not hold out or get injured. A full season for him IS a surprise.

wchutalkinboutwillis
06-07-2005, 10:21 PM
I like Ron Edwards but I don't think he can carry the full load. Also, I think he's a better player when he's motivated by competition. Enter the inexplicably ignored player on this thread: Tim Anderson. These two guys should really motivate each other. They say that Anderson is one of the hardest working players on the team. Kevin Thomas has potential but his opportunities will be limited unless McGee falters or gets hurt and that would suck. Lindell: A head case that may not make it to the opener. McGahee: Stay healthy and he's a top 5 back. Josh Reed: Another head case getting way too much attention. The less attention he gets from JP, the better he'll be. I think Kelsay will have a strong year showing steady improvement over last season.

Spielmanrules54
06-08-2005, 02:43 AM
When Edwards started, he was either a rookie or just a second year player... so he was a little green when we thrust him in there. He's had time to work on his game and learn from Big Pat and Sam Adams... Last year in spot duty he was all around the ball. The guy just seems to make plays... i personally like him a lot and he's DEFINITELY my choice of the breakout player on defense.

chevyjayce
06-08-2005, 07:16 AM

Well said.

djjimkelly
06-08-2005, 07:25 AM
i think our big surprise player will be josh reed. this is the year we find out that he hasnt been the issue. we find out the stiff who used to throw him the ball was the issue. josh is a possesion receiver who has a chance to make that extra 5 -10 yards each time he catches the ball. this year he wont have the qb throwing ball behind him over him and so on. josh is gonna surprsise people after the fire of drafting parrish lites him up. im predicting 50-60 balls as 3rd and 4th wr in our offense next year.

Jan Reimers
06-08-2005, 07:26 AM
I look for Edwards, and his backup Anderson, to both have good years. I think Parrish, Reed, Euhus, and Gandy will all be productive on offense. King will make some plays as a nickel or dime back.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
06-08-2005, 07:43 AM
I think Edwards will do quite well because he is going to fill the under tackle position.
Previously as starter he was in Sam's spot, which requires more of a run stuffer's technique and size. By replacing Pat and playing under tackle next to Sam, Edwards will be more effective. There will not be a big drop off from Pat to Ron. And Ron will get more upfield push, which will create more sack and pressure opportunites for our ends, who incidentally should really be coming into a big year talent wise.

Jeff1220
06-08-2005, 07:52 AM
i think our big surprise player will be josh reed. this is the year we find out that he hasnt been the issue. we find out the stiff who used to throw him the ball was the issue. josh is a possesion receiver who has a chance to make that extra 5 -10 yards each time he catches the ball. this year he wont have the qb throwing ball behind him over him and so on. josh is gonna surprsise people after the fire of drafting parrish lites him up. im predicting 50-60 balls as 3rd and 4th wr in our offense next year.

I'm not trying to defend Bledsoe, but how is it his fault that Reed has had a severe case of the dropsies the past 2 years?

Shasta McNasty
06-08-2005, 09:09 AM
DT Tim Anderson

sba
06-08-2005, 09:13 AM
I think McGee is going to surprise with his play at corner this year. 6-7 picks.

Jeff1220
06-08-2005, 09:52 AM
I'd go with Ron Edwards, though I don't really see it as a surprise. The guy has steadily improved in his time w/the Bills and is now ready to take it to the next level.
Also, I think Mike Williams will be earning some of that money this year. He's in a get it done or bust year, imo, and needs to play lights out ball.

Jan Reimers
06-08-2005, 10:29 AM
I think McGee is going to surprise with his play at corner this year. 6-7 picks.
I think you may be right. McGee is a playmaker with a nose for the ball and the hands to hang onto it. Sort of the Anti-Winfield.

mayotm
06-08-2005, 10:55 AM
I'm not sure if you can consider the fourth overall pick a few years ago a surprise, but I think Mike Williams is going to take in to the next level. Potentially, an all-pro level.

Philagape
06-08-2005, 11:15 AM
Kelsay

Mahdi
06-08-2005, 12:24 PM
My vote is for Bennie Anderson, simply because he will give WM holes to run through that he didnt have last year, which will have a ripple effect on the whole offense. A real power run game = less pressure on JP = better pass game = 15 TDs for Moulds = 15TDs for Evans + 10 for Parrish. :dance: :snicker:

HHURRICANE
06-08-2005, 01:02 PM

Good Post. I agree on Edwards. Reed is overated and I think he is done after this year. I think Moulds will play much better this year. He dropped some easy balls, although he probably was surprised when they actually hit him in the hands. Also Bledsoe would get people killed over the middle. I saw Campbell take some ridiculous hits because of Bledsoe. I think JP is the real deal and will make all our receivers look better.

alohabillsfan
06-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Kelly Holcomb!

HHURRICANE
06-08-2005, 01:06 PM
I'm not trying to defend Bledsoe, but how is it his fault that Reed has had a severe case of the dropsies the past 2 years?
Reed definately dropped balls, however Bedsoe almost got Campbell and Moulds killed a couple of times. I'm not to sure I would have tried to catch some of the garbage Bledsoe was throwing. Reed and Bledsoe were definately not in rythm.

djjimkelly
06-08-2005, 01:55 PM

well when ball is thrown behind him 5 out 10 times that is how dont get me wrong josh didnt help himself at times but rarely did we see him get a nice ball from drew. lots where just over his head behind him and so on.

praedld
06-08-2005, 08:07 PM
I would love to say that a smart undersized free agent saftie from Wisconsin
will make the difference, but wishful thinking aside, Lee Evans will get better every year. In college he has played behind drafted players, has been injured, and has made a mistake. In each case he has emerged stronger and played with more focus. He will help a qb and can "make the play", nothing against Moulds- but 2 playmakers are better than one.

jpdex12
06-08-2005, 08:59 PM
If Kevin Everett wasn't hurt, I would have nominated him. He would have been the main TE from Rookie training camp all the way to the first few weeks into preseason camp because of Campbell and Euhus. That is a lot of time to practice plays and get his reps. He also has the athletic ability to rip **** up as a downfield TE, Shannon Sharpe like. If he rehabs well, he should be a nice suprise if we make the playoffs.

mysticsoto
06-08-2005, 09:11 PM
I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and go with Ron Edwards. I really think that his QB pressuring skills are going to make the Bills an even more formidable defense!!!

Our defense will stifle you and our offense will take our sweet time working the clock and running that ball down your throats! Teams are going to hate playing the Bills!!!