PDA

View Full Version : Preseason perdiction of 2003 QB class

DraftBoy
08-05-2002, 02:00 PM
Since I am the "Resident Draftologist" (self proclaimed) I decided to put up my early looks at the 2003 draft class. Here you go comments are welcome:

2003 Quarterback Class

1. Ken Dorsey-Miami 6'5 200 lbs.
Ken Dorsey is the ideal NFL quarterback, his poise, and knowledge of the position is unkanny. He has prototypical size, and good arm strength. Last year on his way to the national championship Dorsey threw 318 times while completeing 184 of those attempts for a comp. pct. of 57.9 %. He racked up a total of 2,652 yards, and 23 TD, while only throwing 9 int's. He averaged 8.3 yards/attempt, all this combines to make his 146.1 passer rating. Keep in mind that was only in 11 games during the regular season. He holds career record for touchdowns (58) and will almost definetly beat out Gino Torretta for the schools career passing yards leader, he needs only 1,495 yards. He is 26-1 as a starter (only loss coming to Washington in 2000). Some concerns about Dorsey though are his inability to react to a blitz, and avoid it. During his career he has amazing offensive line help which has allowed him to go down very few times. This next year will be very telling as to how he handles himself against the blitz.

2. Chris Simms-Texas 6-5 225 lbs.
Simms is the son of NFL great Phil Simms. He is finally out of the shadow and oressure of trying to beat out Major Applewhite. Last year as the starter for Texas Simms threw for 2,603 yards while completing 214 of 362 attempts which leaves him with 59.1% passing percentage. Which is 1.2% better than Ken Dorsey. He threw 22 TD's and 11 INT's in 12 games. He had a 7.2 pass/attempt avg. This all added up into his 133.5 passer rating. Many critics of Simms though question his maturity and leadership ability. He absolutely blew up against Colorado last year and was yanked in favor of the more reliable and calm headed Applewhite. Simms can tend to get over aggresive and look for the big play when it isnt there.

3. Byron Leftwich-Marshall 6-6 240 lbs.
Leftwich probably best armed QB in this class has amazing arm strength and accuracy, as he completed 67% of his passes while throwing for 38 TD's.

4. Carson Palmer-USC 6-5 225 lbs.
Palmer came to USC with big expectations and has yet to fullfil them, granted he hasnt had a Marcus Allen type RB or a Lynn Swann type WR. His top WR last year Kareem Kelly had 46 receptions for 700+ yards but only 3 TD's. Hell Palmer only threw 13 TD's all year, which doesnt look at all good next to his 12 INT's. He completed a respectable 58.7% of his passes, and threw for 2,567 yards. Still more is expected of this former high school star. He could be a great project pick on draft day but he would be an early round project, kinda like Josh McCown of Sam Houston St.

5. Kliff Kingsbury-Texas Tech 6-4 208 lbs.
Kingsbury is an early season Heisman sleeper. He had a very amazing quiet year at Texas Tech. He completed 68.9% of his passes, and threw for 3,502 yards. Threw 25 TD's and only 9 INT's. Had a passer rating of 136.9 better than any other QB in the Big 12. Question on him though is he really as good as it looks on paper? His stats could possibly be inflated by a pass happy system. David Carr had the same thing this past year and we shall see what happens to him.

BTW this ranking is of seniors only, and with Leftwich I couldnt find his stats so he is unfinished.

JefftheBillsfan
08-05-2002, 04:23 PM
leftwiche far and away is #1 IMO...and where is Ragone?

DraftBoy
08-05-2002, 05:17 PM
Leftwich I was considering as the #1 , but the lack of talent in the MAC also puts doubt as to his numbers, we are yet to see how the other Marshall great will do in the NFL. So I choose to put Dorsey 1st, followed by Simms. As for Ragone I was going to put him in at #5 but Kingsberry had a great year by far for Texas Tech. So I have Ragone at 6. Once again lack of big time confrence competition puts doubts in peoples minds.

gonzo1105
08-05-2002, 09:48 PM
Man ur a little off.

Leftwich is definetely number 1
Ragone is 2
Simms 3 cause of his size and arm
Palmer 4
Grossman 5
Dorsey 6 right now he is projected as a 5th rounder

Butch
08-05-2002, 11:05 PM
Dude, no way is Dorsey #1. Letwich and Ragone are as of right now 1 and 2. Things can change, see David Carr's acension, but Dorsey has too many questions about his arm strength and durability to put him up as #1.

HenryRules
08-05-2002, 11:20 PM
I agree with the ranking of Ken Dorsey, although I also acknowledge that it is completely different than what other people are saying.
The one thing I think you can take to the bank with Dorsey is that he will be a solid starter. He's a solid student off the field (2-time All-Academic Big East) which is important for a QB I think (his on-field intelligence is also incomparable among college QB's), he'll have been a 3-year starter in the Big East (and he got in a few starts as a freshman as well) which gives him experience against some solid competition plus he'll have had 3 BCS bowl games as well so he'll have been used to being in pressure situations, his best games also seem to be against the best competition he faces (2001 - Rose Bowl against Nebraska, against Virginia Tech who I believe had the top-ranked defense, against Washington, against FSU, 2000 - Sugar Bowl over Florida and another big game against FSU as well, plus some others I can't remember). He is somewhat skinny, but he's got great height and I think he'll grow into his body a bit more as he gets older.
Everyone else I think has some questions marks in their performance, but the only question mark about Dorsey's game is how well would he have done without his OL. Leftwich definitely has more potential, but personally, I think QB's with potential are very dangerous picks and I'd take one with intelligence who is a proven winner over one with physical skills any day of the week. If I drafted Leftwich I'd be afraid he'll end up like Pennington who hasn't shown much promise at the NFL level.
One guy that I think might be in the list by the end of the season but as of now does not deserve to be there is Eli Manning. I've heard that he did great in the spring workouts and should have an amazing season. He's also got far and away the best pedigree (with all due respect to Simms, the Mannings bloodlines are better).
Btw, if you're looking for Leftwich's stats, you can find them here: http://www.leftwichqb.com/stats.html.

HenryRules
08-05-2002, 11:23 PM
Never mind about the Manning comment, I didn't realize it was seniors only.

mybills
08-06-2002, 07:32 AM
I'm not sure :anvil:

Dozerdog
08-06-2002, 07:51 AM
Manning comes out in 2003. Unlike his brother, he does not have a serious shot at a national title.

Heismans are nice, but they don't mean as much today as they used to. All it is is a glorified popularity contest- may the best PR department win.

If Manning comes out, he will be the undisputed #1 pick.

What teams will be aweful enough to take a shot at him?
Way to early to tell, but watch some of the usual suspects like Carolina, San Diego, Cincy. Baltimore might take a run at trading for the #1 pick. Dallas also comes to mind.

eyedog
08-06-2002, 08:58 AM
dorsey reminds me of another ex-hurricane, steve walsh. arm strength will be a problem in the nfl. simms will be the best nfl qb.

WG
08-06-2002, 09:05 AM
Nice assessment of the Heismann Dozer. I agree fully.

As to the QBs, there's often shifts during the senior years. It's gonna be a great class one way or the other, richer than many have seen in their lifetimes since '83.

BTW, how 'bout that Travis Brown.... hehehe...

He looked very good at the scrimmage. Constantly looking off his first and for his second or third. I'm tellin' ya...

He'll be the #2 unless on paper they want VP. IMO, VP will be in danger of getting cut, if not this year, then next. He still is no better than a 3rd, 2nd stringer on a good day. Nice guy, but as a QB, he leaves the world to be desired. I think the team was hasty in giving him $5M.

iceblizzard69
08-06-2002, 09:41 AM
I think Winfield 26 is no longer the resident draftologist. I am a Canes fan and a HUGE Dorsey fan but he isn't the top QB in the draft. He needs to add some bulk since he is a stick, and if he does, he will land with the Miami Dolphins with the 32nd pick in the 2003 NFL Draft.

HenryRules
08-06-2002, 11:13 AM
As I somewhat said earlier, Dorsey is gonna be the guy at this year's draft where JB and Berman keep saying, "I don't know what more this kid could have done, but no one seems to be grabbing him. Whoever finally picks him is going to get someone with a chip on his shoulder looking to prove everyone wrong" Then in 2004 when he's starting and looking good at it, he will have proven everyone wrong.

DraftBoy
08-06-2002, 05:03 PM
Hes the #1 ranked QB in the NCAA right now, Ragone aint done anything spectacular yet to deserve to go ahead of any of those guys, he sounds more and more like Chris Redman, who I personally think will suck it up.