PDA

View Full Version : My analysis of rounds 1-4

Canadian'eh!
06-08-2005, 09:24 AM
Going to do this in the style that was used in the other draft:

Round 1:
Best Pick:Demarcus Ware at #5 - He has the potential to be an elite 3-4 DE/LB tweener. When Parcells calls you the next LT, that's a pretty stunning endorsement. At #5 he's a steal. (honourable mention - Thoams Davis at #19.)
Worst Pick:Carnell Williams at #5 - Impossible to make a really bad pick in round 1 unless someone reaches a lot. So I am going with Williams just because I like Brown and Benson a bit better. He is still a great RB though.
Sleeper Pick:Erasmus James- He can be an elite sack artist in the 4-3, if he can just get over the injuries that have plagued him.

Round 2:
Best Pick:Carlos Rogers - should be a shutdown corner and he was surprisingly still there at the top of the round
Worst Pick:Aaron Rodgers- Obviously no one in this draft was that high on him either. Not a terrible pick but it would have interesting to see how far he would have dropped had the not gone there. Tefford QB.... no thanks.
Sleeper Pick: Matt Jones - like there is any other choice.

Round 3:
Best Pick:Dan Cody - Anytime you have a guy that's going to be playing LB next to Ray Lewis, you gotta think good things.
Worst Pick:Frank Gore- He is not all the way back from his knee injuries. A bit of a reach here.
Sleeper Pick:Darryl Blackstock - underrated LB. Could turn out to be a top LB's in the league.

Round 4:
Best Pick:Brodney Pool- Best FS in the draft goes in the 4th round. Excellent value.
Worst Pick: Anttaj Hawthorne- Not because of talent. Because he was dumb enough to smoke weed just before he KNEW he was going to be tested at the combine.
Sleeper Pick:Maurice Clarett - is there any other choice really?

ryjam282
06-08-2005, 09:50 AM
Nice assessment. I like your views on most of them.

RetroRaiders81
06-08-2005, 10:19 AM
lol, I knew the name Hawthorne would come up. I could care less what this guy does off the field, as long as he's productive on the field...and not crashing motorcycles. He was a huge steal in the 6th round when Oakland got him.

Canadian'eh!
06-08-2005, 10:23 AM
lol, I knew the name Hawthorne would come up. I could care less what this guy does off the field, as long as he's productive on the field...and not crashing motorcycles. He was a huge steal in the 6th round when Oakland got him.

Right... I agree on his talent... But he's already in the drug program, next positive is 4 games.. and If he managed to fail a test that he KNEW was going to happen, that's jsut scary. How long before he fails a surprise one?

Myabe never, but it seems pretty risky if he can manage to fail that known one.

R. Rich
06-08-2005, 10:41 AM
Going to do this in the style that was used in the other draft:

Round 1:
Best Pick:Demarcus Ware at #5 - He has the potential to be an elite 3-4 DE/LB tweener. When Parcells calls you the next LT, that's a pretty stunning endorsement. At #5 he's a steal. (honourable mention - Thoams Davis at #19.)
Worst Pick:Carnell Williams at #5 - Impossible to make a really bad pick in round 1 unless someone reaches a lot. So I am going with Williams just because I like Brown and Benson a bit better. He is still a great RB though.
Sleeper Pick:Erasmus James- He can be an elite sack artist in the 4-3, if he can just get over the injuries that have plagued him.

Round 2:
Best Pick:Carlos Rogers - should be a shutdown corner and he was surprisingly still there at the top of the round
Worst Pick:Aaron Rodgers- Obviously no one in this draft was that high on him either. Not a terrible pick but it would have interesting to see how far he would have dropped had the not gone there. Tefford QB.... no thanks.
Sleeper Pick: Matt Jones - like there is any other choice.

Round 3:
Best Pick:Dan Cody - Anytime you have a guy that's going to be playing LB next to Ray Lewis, you gotta think good things.
Worst Pick:Frank Gore- He is not all the way back from his knee injuries. A bit of a reach here.
Sleeper Pick:Darryl Blackstock - underrated LB. Could turn out to be a top LB's in the league.

Round 4:
Best Pick:Brodney Pool- Best FS in the draft goes in the 4th round. Excellent value.
Worst Pick: Anttaj Hawthorne- Not because of talent. Because he was dumb enough to smoke weed just before he KNEW he was going to be tested at the combine.
Sleeper Pick:Maurice Clarett - is there any other choice really?

I'd consider getting Davis w/ the next to last pick in the round a bigger steal than Ware @ #5. I knew I didn't need to take him 2nd because I needed a more complete LB and I already had plenty of good pass rushers, both inside AND outside, @ the LB position. Great pick, but I'm more surprised I got Davis @ 19 than the Jags got Ware @ 5.

R. Rich
06-08-2005, 10:41 AM
I also think getting Carlos Rogers in the 2nd round is the biggest steal of this draft thus far. Hard to top that one.

Devin
06-08-2005, 10:46 AM
indeed. btw sup fool.

Canadian'eh!
06-08-2005, 10:50 AM
I just think that highly of Ware.

RetroRaiders81
06-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Right... I agree on his talent... But he's already in the drug program, next positive is 4 games.. and If he managed to fail a test that he KNEW was going to happen, that's jsut scary. How long before he fails a surprise one?

Myabe never, but it seems pretty risky if he can manage to fail that known one.

I agree, he better straighten out. As long as the talents there, I'm pretty confident in him.

R. Rich
06-08-2005, 11:06 AM
indeed. btw sup fool.

Hey Devin. Like my ASSessment of my picks?

R. Rich
06-08-2005, 11:08 AM
I just think that highly of Ware.

I think he'll be just fine in the Cowboys' 3-4. If they put him @ LOLB, which is where they should put him, he'll be disruptive. Or, they could try him @ ROLB, and he could develop into a Joey Porter type weakside LB. Sky's the limit for him.

L.A. Playa
06-08-2005, 11:22 AM
Hey Rich did you know the Panthers have Davis penciled in as the starter at OLB ?

R. Rich
06-08-2005, 11:30 AM
Nope. Thanks for the info. I'm still considering him to be my safety though.

L.A. Playa
06-08-2005, 11:44 AM
Just wanted to pass on the info

The King
06-09-2005, 01:51 PM
I dont understand how you can say all the RB's are good but somehow my preferrence is the worst pick? I took Cadillac because he fits my offense and he is playmaker. I dont know how someone as talented as Williams can be a worst pick.

Canadian'eh!
06-09-2005, 02:26 PM
I dont understand how you can say all the RB's are good but somehow my preferrence is the worst pick? I took Cadillac because he fits my offense and he is playmaker. I dont know how someone as talented as Williams can be a worst pick.

I thought i explained it... there were NO BAD PICKS really in round 1. so i picked Williams simply because i though Brown was a bit better. don't take it personal. He could very well be the best RB in the draft. It's not really a bad pic, just because i didn't want to say no one and i happened to like someone else better.

In fact. I am going to change that to Troy Williamson. I think he was a pick based on measureables and not actual football. taking him over BMW? no way.