PDA

View Full Version : ESPN report card

justasportsfan
06-09-2005, 01:22 PM
Sorry if it's posted. I looked back a couple of pages and didn't see it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=smith_michael&id=2081187&num=3
Buffalo Bills
Best move: Moving on from Drew Bledsoe (23-25 in three years as the Bills' starter) and handing the reigns to last year's first-round pick, J.P. Losman. Don't mistake this for a "step back to take a step forward" type deal. No. The Bills' brass sees Losman, despite only five pass attempts as a rookie, as an improvement over the more-proven Bledsoe. Had Losman not gotten hurt, in fact, and the Bills not gone on a late-season run, Buffalo would have started the transition last year. Losman moves much better than Bledsoe (remember, he timed 4.6 in the 40 coming out of Tulane). Expect Mularkey to utilize his QB's athleticism on rollouts, bootlegs, and designed runs, similar to what he did with Kordell Stewart in Pittsburgh. Buffalo signed veteran Kelly Holcomb from Cleveland just in case.

Biggest question mark: You mean besides the young quarterback and whether he can effectively lead a veteran team while shedding the "punk" perception some teammates had of him last year? Probably left tackle, then. Starter Jonas Jennings left via free agency for San Francisco, leaving the Bills with Mike Gandy to protect Losman's back side. If Gandy can't cut it, the Bills will be left scrambling, Losman especially, except more in the literal sense. Another unanswered question is: What Buffalo will get in return for unloading disgruntled running back Travis Henry, who is said to have loaded up and moved home to Florida until he's dealt? Team president Tom Donahoe may be forced to come down from his asking price of a first-day pick.

Bottom line: The Bills played well enough in the final three-quarters of last season to make the playoffs, only they just stunk it up against the Steelers' scrubs in the regular-season finale. Ten of 11 starters, the exception being defensive tackle Pat Williams (Minnesota), return from the league's second-ranked defense. Stud running back Willis McGahee is another year removed from the devastating knee injury he suffered at the University of Miami. Wideout Lee Evans had a strong rookie year on which to build, and Buffalo added UM speedster Roscoe Parrish in the draft. Buffalo had a quiet spring, but if Losman is what the Bills believe he is, they'll make plenty of noise come fall and winter.

Pride
06-09-2005, 01:34 PM
Biggest question mark: You mean besides the young quarterback and whether he can effectively lead a veteran team while shedding the "punk" perception some teammates had of him last year?

:wtf:

Dicknoze69
06-09-2005, 02:38 PM
Michael Smith is one of my least favorite football writers. He's a Pats homer.

treydawg
06-09-2005, 03:03 PM
Huge Pats homer.

mayotm
06-09-2005, 03:29 PM
The "punk" comment just sounds completely made up. I haven't read one thing about JP having any issues with the vets. It's kind of like the whole "cocky" label that he received prior to the draft. I can't wait until he lights it up and shuts up all the critics.

Drive 4 Five
06-09-2005, 08:03 PM
I think all that "punk" crap will have been put to rest when J.P. comes out smokin' MF'rs this season.

This probably came from Bledsoe with his, "I don't see myself being a backup in this league, especially to J.P. Losman."

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
06-10-2005, 08:09 AM
Even though we have got to know JP; you have to be aware of the fact that he has been labeled around the league as a bit of a cocky punk. I expect there were some rumblings among some vets at the early part of last season....but I am sure it died off once they say his work ethic and talent. Regardless of what our team thinks of him, the other teams might still attach the "punk" label and want to teach him a lesson.
JP will have to be ready for some tough hits and maybe even cheap shots.

ublinkwescore
06-10-2005, 12:10 PM
let's just pound the ball with Mcgahee the first 4 plays and then send losman on a designed run, and then a bomb to evans or parrish or moulds.

ublinkwescore
06-10-2005, 12:11 PM
I don't care what anyone says, our offense will keep teams honest next year, and we will score points with the best in the league.