PDA

View Full Version : Kelly Holcomb

Pride
06-09-2005, 01:35 PM
Do you guys think he will be satisfied being a backup to JP? ala Reich?

I, personally, think he has too much talent to be a career backup. Does he have ulterior motives and hope JP fails?

Iehoshua
06-09-2005, 01:37 PM
I would guess he'd prefer to be a starter and saw Buffalo as a solid opportunity since JP could potentially fail.

generalmills
06-09-2005, 01:40 PM
Does he have ulterior motives and hope JP fails?

I think that has to be his hope...and I think that he is very realistic in this. JP is a rookie..he has not taken a full game of snaps yet and is not established in the league. There is no doubt in my mind that Holcomb would put up more wins this year than Losman but at the same time I understand and agree with the theory that Losman needs to get into the backfield as soon as possible. Holcomb is a quality QB who will probably want to move on at the end of this year if JP becomes a solid staple at the helm.

Enjoy the safety of him in backfield this year. If JP goes down I will not be taking inches off of my nails...the team would be in capable and quality hands.

Tatonka
06-09-2005, 01:43 PM
i think he is ok with being a back up to a guy who has no experience and was hurt in his first year, but i also dont think he would ever complain about making 2 mill a year to be an assistant qb coach, which is basically what he is going to be if JP works out.

i dont think he could be a consistent starter though.. they tried that in cleveland and he got hurt regularly.. he is not durable, but has ability.. which is perfect for a back up imho..

ryven
06-09-2005, 01:44 PM
I think that has to be his hope...and I think that he is very realistic in this. JP is a rookie..he has not taken a full game of snaps yet and is not established in the league. There is no doubt in my mind that Holcomb would put up more wins this year than Losman but at the same time I understand and agree with the theory that Losman needs to get into the backfield as soon as possible. Holcomb is a quality QB who will probably want to move on at the end of this year if JP becomes a solid staple at the helm.

Enjoy the safety of him in backfield this year. If JP goes down I will not be taking inches off of my nails...the team would be in capable and quality hands.

I agree :goodpost:

Spielmanrules54
06-09-2005, 02:56 PM
I hope we keep him around for a couple of years... I was talking to a Browns fan recently who loved this guy. Seems to put up good numbers with minimal mistakes and without the prototypical arm strength coaches like with their QB's

buffalofan19
06-09-2005, 03:05 PM
I have a feeling we will see Holcomb quite a bit this year. It won't really be because Losman will "fail", but I think he will get injured again. The o-line is not in great shape right now, and McNally or no McNally, mobile QB or no mobile QB, most QB's will take a beating behind it. Plus Losman is naturally reckless. I realize he is working with Sam Wyche, who will help him, but that's not going to completely solve the problem. Losman is an aggressive guy, who will be taking some hits voluntarily. I have a feeling it will get him hurt forcing him to sit out at least a game or two. Then we will see Holcomb, and he should be decent.

Jan Reimers
06-09-2005, 06:30 PM
Holcomb is one of those guys who probably is best suited to be a backup. His pattern seems to be to come in and have a few big games when the starter goes down with injury or whatever, but is never super successful when handed the job full time.

He said when signed that he understands that JP will be the starter in Buffalo and he will be the best backup he can be. I believe him and am not looking for him to start any kind of QB controversy.

That is the job of the fans and the media.

Dozerdog
06-09-2005, 06:54 PM
You guys really have active imaginations...:rofl:

He signed early. If he really wanted too, he could have shopped himself around and landed either as a starter or as a backup with a much better opportunity to play more. He probably could have signed for a lot more than the money thre Bills gave him too.

But he didn't. He jumped on the Bills early- and he isn't an idiot. He knows what the Bills invested into Losman (picks and money) and he knows the commitment made by the team to Losman when they cut Bledsoe.

The biggest reason he came here is that it's close to Cleveland and the schools that his kids were enrolled- and his loyalty to Sam Wyche and Mularkey-Wyche being the only coach who gave him any sort of look as a rookie with Tampa. Without Wyche, he's an insurance salesman the past ten years.

Holcomb's only motivation is to win. I'll bet he would be estatic with a ring on his finger backing up pro- bowl QB JP Losman. I think it's ludacris that he would select a team that he has a slimmer chance at starting for and hope the guy ahead of him fails or gets hurt.

Mr. Cynical
06-09-2005, 07:22 PM
You guys really have active imaginations...:rofl:

He signed early. If he really wanted too, he could have shopped himself around and landed either as a starter or as a backup with a much better opportunity to play more. He probably could have signed for a lot more than the money thre Bills gave him too.

But he didn't. He jumped on the Bills early- and he isn't an idiot. He knows what the Bills invested into Losman (picks and money) and he knows the commitment made by the team to Losman when they cut Bledsoe.

The biggest reason he came here is that it's close to Cleveland and the schools that his kids were enrolled- and his loyalty to Sam Wyche and Mularkey-Wyche being the only coach who gave him any sort of look as a rookie with Tampa. Without Wyche, he's an insurance salesman the past ten years.

Holcomb's only motivation is to win. I'll bet he would be estatic with a ring on his finger backing up pro- bowl QB JP Losman. I think it's ludacris that he would select a team that he has a slimmer chance at starting for and hope the guy ahead of him fails or gets hurt.
I tend to agree with this. From what I've heard from Holcomb, he really does seem to fit the Reich mold at this point. Of course I'm sure he wouldn't turn down the chance to start obviously, but I think at this point in his career he realizes that being a backup making good money on a team that is on the upswing is not such a bad thing either. He seems to want to be on a winning team more than anything else, so I think he fits in perfectly.

Meathead
06-09-2005, 07:41 PM
He was an awesome pickup as a backup. But trust me, you do not want Holcomb as your franchise quarterback.

It's no coincidence that as he started more games his productivity tailed off dramatically. Everyone remembers his couple of huge games but they don't recall how badly he struggled once opposing DC's got enough game film on him to know how to shut him down.

If he has to start more than 3 games this season the Bills playoff hopes will tank.

jamze132
06-09-2005, 09:21 PM
I would guess he'd prefer to be a starter and saw Buffalo as a solid opportunity since JP could potentially fail.
Exactly why Travis Henry shouldn't be a little *****.

wchutalkinboutwillis
06-09-2005, 10:23 PM
Holcombe has the talent but his play is sometimes erratic. He can throw for 450 yds and 3tds one game and then go 12 for 30 with 3 int's the next. I guess a lot of QB's fit that category. Personally, I think he was a very good pick up. Cleveland was foolish not to cover the extra few $$$ to keep him. The difference was minimal by NFL standards. I think that was the main reason he jumped at the Bills. TD didn't play games and expressed a genuine interest backed up by a solid offer reflecting Holcombe's progress as opposed to decline. How long was the negotiation? 2-3 days. I honestly never saw it coming because I viewed him as a starter somewhere. Quality depth is key. Honeycombe could be a key to the Bills success this year.

casdhf
06-10-2005, 06:04 AM
I think he's a shined up AVP.

BBUnit1974
06-10-2005, 06:14 AM
i feel much better with him as a backup to Losman. If the get hurt or he plays like a rookie than we have Holcomb. With his awareness we can trust him allways!!!!

LtFinFan66
06-10-2005, 06:21 AM
Holcomb will be real nice as a back-up. If JP should struggle or get injured, you guys should feel pretty good about Kelly being able to steer the ship!:up:

Historian
06-10-2005, 06:31 AM
I feel real comfortable with him backing up JP.

It's going to be a good year!