PDA

View Full Version : Dossier: The Magazine Of The Erie Assassins Presents The Post Draft Issue

R. Rich
06-10-2005, 12:13 PM
Dossier’s 2005 Draft Wrap Up Issue

2005 Free Agent Stocking Draft

NAME OF PLAYER DRAFTED FORMER TEAM COST CAP ROOM

2nd round (#13) Jonathan Ogden, OT Baltimore $7.5M $77.5M
2nd round (#19) Jonathan Vilma, LB NYJ $7.5M $70M
3rd round (#2) Kris Jenkins, DT Carolina $7.5M $62.5M
3rd round (#18) Sean Taylor, S Washington $7.5M $55M
4th round (#16) Julius Jones, RB Dallas $5M $50M
4th round (#20) Byron Leftwich, QB Jacksonville $5M $45M
8th round (#3) Dunta Robinson, CB Houston $4M $41M
8th round (#11) Matt Birk, C Minnesota $4M $37M
8th round (#20) Bryant McKinnie, OT Minnesota $4M $33M
11th round (#18) Nick Barnett, LB Green Bay $3M $30M
12th round (#3) Quentin Jammer, CB San Diego $3M $27M
13th round (#11) Anthony Weaver, DE Baltimore $3M $24M
21st round (#7) Jason Babin, LB Houston $1M $23M
21st round (#11) Kendyl Jacox, G New Orleans $1M $22M
21st round (#18) Bryan Scott, S Atlanta $1M $21M
22nd round (#8) Karlos Dansby, LB Arizona $1M $20M
22nd round (#10) Ben Troupe, TE Tennessee $1M $19M
23rd round (#18) Kelley Washington, WR Cincinnati $1M $18M
24th round (#3) Brandon Lloyd, WR San Fransisco $1M $17M
24th round (#5) David Akers, K Philadelphia $1M $16M
24th round (#8) Nathan Vasher, CB Chicago $1M $15M
25th round (#5) Randy Starks, DE Tennessee $1M $14M
25th round (#8) Tyrone Calico, WR Tennessee $1M $13M
25th round (#18) Derrick Burgess, DE Oakland $1M $12M
26th round (#3) Bob Sanders, S Indianapolis $0.5M $11.5M
26th round (#5) Artis Hicks, G Philadelphia $0.5M $11M
26th round (#10) Jake Plummer, QB Denver $0.5M $10.5M
27th round (#2) Napoleon Harris, LB Minnesota $0.5M $10M
27th round (#5) Brad Maynard, P Chicago $0.5M $9.5M
27th round (#7) Alan Ricard, FB Baltimore $0.5M $9M
27th round (#18) Kendall Simmons, G Pittsburgh $0.5M $8.5M
28th round (#3) Shane Olivea, OT San Diego $0.5M $8M
28th round (#13) James Harrison, LB Pittsburgh $0.5M $7.5M
29th round (#5) Bethel Johnson, WR/KR New England $0.5M $7M
29th round (#16) Dexter Coakley, LB St Louis $0.5M $6.5M
29th round (#18) Andre Woolfork, CB Tennessee $0.5M $6M
30th round (#3) Vernon Carey, G/T Miami $0.5M $5.5M
32nd round (#3) Chester Pitts, G Houston $0.3M $5.2M
33rd round (#7) Michael Haynes, DE Chicago $0.3M $4.9M
34th round (#3) Jimmy Kennedy, DT St Louis $0.3M $4.6M
37th round (#18) Makoa Freitas, OT Indianapolis $0.2M $4.4M
38th round (#3) Jabari Holloway, TE Washington $0.2M $4.2M
39th round (#18) Clarence Moore, WR Baltimore $0.2M $4M
40th round (#3) Lenny Walls, CB Denver $0.2M $3.8M
40th round (#5) Gerald Hayes, LB Arizona $0.2M $3.6M
46th round (#3) Jonathan Wells, RB Houston $0.1M $3.5M
48th round (#3) Rob Davis, C/LS Green Bay $0.1M $3.4M
49th round (#9) Donnell Washington, DT Green Bay $0.1M $3.3M
49th round (#11) Darrell McClover, LB/GN NYJ $0.1M $3.2M
49th round (#18) Bracy Walker, S Detroit $0.1M $3.1M
50th round (#3) Cory Withrow, C Minnesota $0.1M $3M
51st round (#18a) Todd Yoder, TE Jacksonville $0.1M $2.9M
51st round (#18b) Moran Norris, FB Houston $0.1M $2.8M

Stocking Draft Recap: Offense
By: Editor

OFFENSIVE LINE
The Assassins began by going after offensive line and defensive help early on, getting 3 stud OL early on w/ Jonathan Ogden, the #13 pick in Round 2, along w/ C Matt Birk (8th rd, 11th pick) and RT Bryant McKinnie (8th rd, 20th pick). Getting Ogden where they did was nice, considering the team decided to trade down from their first round pick into an early 2nd round pick, then traded again to the spot where they picked Ogden. Owner and team president R. Rich said going into the draft that they were going to focus on building a solid offensive line, and their first 3 selections were a great step towards that end. Ogden is arguably the best LT in the game today and one of the best to ever play the position. He will be the cornerstone of this line. Birk is a good, smart center who gives Erie stability in the middle of the line, while McKinnie, who is being moved from the left side to the right side, gives this team a great young tackle who finally started to come into his own toward the end of last season. The interior of the line has some good depth and overall talent. Starters Chester Pitts (LG; 32nd rd, 3rd pick) and Kendyl Jacox (RG; 21st rd, 11th pick) are both solid run blockers, which should help the Assassins’ power running offense. Pitts played well at guard last season after being moved inside from LT, where he was a decent player, but nothing special. Jacox is a mauler of a run blocker, but needs to control his weight and conditioning. When he does that, he can be a very effective blocker. A nice move was the drafting of Kendall Simmons in the 27th round (#18 selection in the round). Simmons is a Pro Bowl caliber guard who will spend the season on injured reserve, but will give the Assassins a rock solid starter at RG next year. Also drafted for depth purposes were Vernon Carey (30th rd, 3rd pick), Cory Withrow (50th rd, 3rd pick), Shane Olivea (28th rd, 3rd pick), Artis Hicks (26th rd, 5th pick), and Makoa Freitas (37th rd, 18th pick). These players not only provide depth, but versatility, as most can play guard, tackle, and/or center in a pinch.
Grade: A (2 All-Pros in Ogden and Birk, 2 Pro Bowl-caliber players in McKinnie and Simmons, and a lot of quality behind them)

RECEIVERS/TIGHT ENDS
Here is where Erie could’ve done much better. They didn’t even draft a receiver until the 23rd round, when Kelley Washington was taken, followed shortly by Brandon Lloyd (24th rd, 3rd pick). Neither are spectacular players, even though they do offer good size, pretty good speed, and have decent skills. These are boom or bust picks, and the Assassins have to hope they come through big time. They did have a nice coup by getting Tyrone Calico in round 25 (8th pick). If he fully recovers from the injury sustained at the hands of safety Roy Williams, Calico could quickly become the star of this mediocre unit. Bethel Johnson, a solid kick returner, but a below average receiver, and Clarence Moore, a big target in the red zone who had 23 receptions and 4 TDs as a rookie, are the depth here. The Assassins designed the offensive draft strategy around the fact that they would land Antonio Gates in the draft. They didn’t. Still, one of the major coups of this draft could be their acquisition of Ben Troupe in the 22nd round (10th pick). Troupe is a big, fast TE who has good hands and is a fine route runner also. He could become the top receiving option for the team. They also got a fine young blocking TE in Jabari Holloway (38th rd, 3rd pick), who should help out a lot in their double TE schemes as both a safety valve receiver and a blocker for the running game. H-back Todd Yoder provides quality depth and could also be used on short yardage and goal line situations. This group of TEs is much better than the WR group and could elevate the Assassins’ passing game to one that can be fairly effective. If the Assassins falter in year one, look no further than this nonchalant group of WRs as a key reason why.
Grade: C (The TEs keep this group from being a D. They’d better hope Washington and Lloyd develop and that Calico makes it back from his injury.)

RUNNING BACKS
They got their franchise back in the 4th round by selecting Julius Jones, who was quite impressive last season in Dallas. In 7 starts, Jones finished with just under 900 yards and had 3 games of 150 or more yards rushing. He did have to overcome a shoulder injury, but recover he did. Jones shows good shiftiness, accelerates through the holes well, and is a solid receiver out of the backfield also. Jonathan Wells (46th rd, 3rd pick), a big, powerful runner who can gut out the tough yards, was brought in for depth. Wells fits the power running game that Erie coach Kirk Ferentz plans to run. A decent receiver, Wells is also a willing blocker and plays with a mean streak. Alan Ricard (27th rd, 7th pick) was drafted to be Jones’ lead blocker, an area he excels at. While he can catch fairly well, he is not a big play threat as a receiver. Still, Ricard is valuable as a lead blocker and a special teams player. Moran Norris (51st rd, 18th pick) provides decent backup and is also good for special teams play.
Grade: B (Jones is a stud who should thrive in their power running game. Getting Ricard, a FB on the rise, was a good move. The depth is average, but won’t hurt them.)

QUARTERBACKS
Byron Leftwich (4th rd, 20th pick) is the franchise QB. The Assassins reportedly love his toughness, strong arm, and clutch play. He will see a lot of blitzing, since teams realize he has trouble with the blitz, but even in this area Leftwich has improved greatly. Take for instance the prime time game against the Steelers last season, where Leftwich nearly led the Jags to a come from behind win with calm, poised play down the stretch. He needs to stay healthy and to get in better shape, but he is a star on the rise in the league and has a wealth of potential he hasn’t even begun to reach. Jake Plummer (26th rd, 10th pick) is the backup. While Plummer is improving, he still has the tendency to throw ill-timed interceptions (20 last season), which will keep him as the backup, more than likely.
Grade: B (Plummer as a backup gives the Assassins quality there. Leftwich isn’t an established star yet, but it shouldn’t be much longer.)

Stocking Draft Recap: Defense
By: Editor

DEFENSIVE LINE
They got Kris Jenkins (3rd rd, 2nd pick) to become the anchor of their 3-4. Hard to do better than Jenkins in that role. He’s one of the very best defensive linemen in the game. He has great size and athleticsm, which he uses to shut down the run and to rush the passer equally well. He can wear down at times, but the Assassins drafted a coupe of guys to back him up that should keep him nice and fresh. Jimmy Kennedy (34th rd, 3rd pick) was starting to finally play up to his enormous potential toward the end of last season and will give the Assasins a massive interior pass rusher who, due to better conditioning, is improving against the run as well. Donnell Washington (49th rd, 9th pick) is a raw talent, but has good quickness and uses his size to clog the rush lanes well. On the outside, they made bold moves by going after young, talented, and slightly unproven players by drafting Anthony Weaver (13th rd, 11th pick) and Randy Starks (25th rd, 5th pick). Weaver is a terrific pass rusher and has good enough size that he won’t be pushed around up front. Starks had a very nice debut last season and has a great mix of size, speed, and agilty. He should be an effective pass rusher as well as a guy who can shut down the outside run. Michael Haynes (33rd rd, 7th pick) and Derrick Burgess (25th rd, 18th pick) are both guys who should be factors in the pass rush, but are not great against the run.
Grade: B (Jenkins keeps this group from being a C. Starks may become a very good DE in the 3-4 and Weaver will finally get to show what he can do now.)

LINEBACKERS
This is easily the strength of this defense, as it should be since they play a 3-4 scheme. A lot of draftniks shook their heads when R. Rich made Jonathan Vilma (2nd rd, 19th pick) his 2nd player drafted, but Vilma is a superstar on the rise. He came into the league and became the Defensive Player of the Year due to his good recognition skills, athleticm, versatility, and sound work ethic. He should quickly become the leader of this defense. Nick Barnett (11th rd, 18th pick) is a middle ‘backer who will move to the outside spot on the weak side. Barnett is a good pass rusher and has the athleticism to make plays across the field. He struggles a bit taking on blockers, but has the skills and the smarts to adapt. He should be a solid weak side LB. Napoleon Harris (27th rd, 2nd pick) should start in the inside opposite Vilma. Harris is another athletic LB who can be effective in run and pass defense. Jason Babin (21st rd, 7th pick) is another athletic, speedy LB who can rush the passer well and holds up well against the run. Backups include veteran Dexter Coakley (29th rd, 16th pick), Karlos Dansby (22nd rd, 8th pick), Gerald Hayes (40th rd, 5th pick), James Harrison (28th rd, 13th pick), and Darrel McClover (49th rd, 11th pick). All are talented and most are very athletic. Dansby, Hayes, and Harrison are talents on the rise. McClover will double as a gunner on special teams.
Grade: A (Depth and talent galore here. A great job of stocking the most important position in a 3-4 defense.)

DEFENSIVE BACKS
Again, the Assassins went with youth for most of their picks. Dunta Robinson (8th rd, 3rd pick) and Quentin Jammer (12th rd, 3rd pick) will man the starting corner spots while Bryan Scott (21st rd, 18th pick) and Sean Taylor (3rd rd, 18th pick) will be the safeties. Robinson is a shutdown corner who came into the league and didn’t miss a beat. While not a monster hitter and/or tackler, he gets the job done. He showed a lot of versatility as a rookie, even getting 3 sacks to go with his 6 picks, 19 passes defensed, and 76 tackles! He should be a Pro Bowl corner for years to come. Jammer is a big, physical corner known for his tackling and hitting ability. His coverage skills aren’t as good as Robinson’s, but he does okay there and is improving steadily. Scott is another feisty, hard hitting DB who loves to intimidate receivers who come near him. He plays very well up near the line of scrimmage. Taylor is a phenomenal talent who must control himself off the field. On the field, he’s as tough as they come. A lights out hitter who can cover like a corner and suppor the run like a linebacker, Taylor can do it all. It’s the off the field activities that cause concern. If he maintains self control, he’ll become the best safety in the league. Soon. The Assassins did a good job of acquiring quality depth , focusing on getting players who can cover and be physical. Andre Woolfolk (29th rd, 18th pick), Lenny Walls (40th rd, 3rd pick), and Nathan Vasher (24th rd, 8th pick) are corners who give this team nice depth while Bracy Walker (49th rd, 18th pick) and Bob Sanders (26th rd, 3rd pick) give the team reliable help as reserve safeties.
Grade: B (Robinson and Taylor are standouts here, but Scott is coming off a breakthrough season and Vasher had a great rookie year. There’s nice depth here.)

SPECIAL TEAMS
The team was hoping to have Brian Moorman as their punter, but ended up with Brad Maynard (27th rd, 5th pick), who may be just as good as Moorman in handling brutal weather conditions while still punting well. David Akers (24th rd, 5th pick) is one of the best clutch kickers out there and, like Maynard, can handle tough weather. He has great accuracy and has a booming leg. He also is a solid directional kicker who is athletic enough to make the tackle if he has to. Rob Davis (48th rd, 3rd pick) is a veteran long snapper who can still get it done. He’s also a fine blocker and is smart enough to be effective on coverage units also, though I believe the Assassins will not use him in that capacity. Bethel Johnson will handle the return duties for the Assassins. He's a home run threat as a return man and should help give them good field position.
Grade: B (Maynard and Akers are not only good kickers, but good cold weather kickers, a must for this team. They could use more firepower out of the return game, though.)

The Rookie Draft Review Will Follow Shortly.

Canadian'eh!
06-10-2005, 12:21 PM
wow... that must have taken a lot of work.... well done.

GIVE ME MY REP BACK!

L.A. Playa
06-10-2005, 01:13 PM
oh canada :negrep:

R. Rich
06-10-2005, 01:20 PM
oh canada :negrep:

Why the neg rep? What did he do?

Canadian'eh!
06-10-2005, 01:23 PM
he didn't neg rep me.... you did... i'll posrep ya now that i saw that pmac.

R. Rich
06-10-2005, 01:28 PM
he didn't neg rep me.... you did... i'll posrep ya now that i saw that pmac.

I gave you ZBs since I couldn't give you pos rep yesterday. I still can't give you pos rep....yet:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Canadian'eh! again.

L.A. Playa
06-10-2005, 01:28 PM
LOL im just messing with ya Canada how the Vancouver thing go ??

L.A. Playa
06-10-2005, 01:29 PM
I always :posrep: all BZFL Owners

R. Rich
06-10-2005, 02:01 PM
So pmac, did you read the stocking draft recap? What do you think? I think that 'editor' guy sucks.

Devin
06-10-2005, 02:02 PM
NJ Rich great read!

L.A. Playa
06-10-2005, 02:06 PM
Well the editor seems a little biased but no doubt in my mind the assasins will grow together and be competitive not dominant but very competitive they are a hell of lot better than that scrubby Super Deuces team, that team just sucks

R. Rich
06-10-2005, 02:12 PM
Well the editor seems a little biased but no doubt in my mind the assasins will grow together and be competitive not dominant but very competitive they are a hell of lot better than that scrubby Super Deuces team, that team just sucks

That editor tore me a new one about my WRs. Jerk.

Actually, it's pretty spot on. My team is weak @ WR, but I would say that's the only area we are weak in. I have a great kicker/punter combo, along with a very good return man in Johnson. On defense, I have a good DL, a really good group of LBs, and a young, deep, and talented secondary. Offensively, my OL is good and deep. My RB starters are good, but the depth is average at best. I'm good to go @ QB as well.

Still, my team does suck.

R. Rich
06-10-2005, 02:13 PM
NJ Rich great read!

I look forward to seeing what the 'editor' has to say about my rookie draft. We all know it sucked.

ryjam282
06-10-2005, 02:18 PM
I always :posrep: all BZFL Owners

Still waiting on mine :shakeno:

L.A. Playa
06-10-2005, 03:06 PM
The editor is definitely biased sounds like he has a vendetta against ya Rich, I could always have him "taken care of " and make it look like an accident if ya know what I mean

R. Rich
06-10-2005, 03:14 PM
The editor is definitely biased sounds like he has a vendetta against ya Rich, I could always have him "taken care of " and make it look like an accident if ya know what I mean

I prefer to handle such matters personally.

L.A. Playa
06-10-2005, 03:16 PM
No problem, just offering some help, we have experience in these matters

R. Rich
06-10-2005, 03:28 PM
I'll keep that in mind, when I don't wish to use my.......'interns'.

L.A. Playa
06-10-2005, 03:30 PM
we have connections with some of the local Los Angeles "leaders"

R. Rich
06-10-2005, 03:37 PM
we have connections with some of the local Los Angeles "leaders"

The red ones, or the blue ones?

L.A. Playa
06-10-2005, 03:39 PM
you dont get where we have gotten owning our own Football Franchise without having connections with all the colors