PDA

View Full Version : Tip Sheet

Dicknoze69
06-10-2005, 02:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2081949&num=6

• Take it to the bank, at some point before the start of the regular season, Buffalo Bills tailback Travis Henry will be traded. To whom? Uh, we'll get back to you on that one. This much we know: There remain multiple teams interested in securing Henry, still a quality back despite losing his starting job to Willis McGahee last year, and a guy who has a couple 1,000-yard campaigns on his résumé. Sooner or later (probably later), some team is going to meet the Bills' asking price, believed to be a third-round draft choice, and pull the trigger on a deal.

That team probably won't be Houston, which continues to consider upgrading the No. 2 spot behind Domanick Davis, but doesn't appear as interested in Henry as a few other teams. That's notable because a report indicated this week that the Texans are the only club still talking with Buffalo about a Henry deal. Not true. A league source tells us Tennessee and Jacksonville are still in the mix for Henry and there have been "extensive" discussions between Titans officials and Henry's agent. That makes sense, since Henry is entering the final year of his contract, and no team is going to trade for him just to rent him for a season and then have him depart next spring in free agency. Tennessee absolutely has to land a tailback to play behind the talented but often-injured Chris Brown. The Jaguars remain concerned about Fred Taylor's knee and might want someone with a little more real-game experience than LaBrandon Toefield, who has just 104 carries in two seasons, or impressive rookie Alvin Pearman.

There were reports last week the Jaguars had discussed a trade for Seattle tailback Shaun Alexander, but Jacksonville coach Jack Del Rio was pretty convincing in debunking such talks. It would be difficult to have Taylor around in 2005, at a base salary of $1.55 million and be able to afford the kind of long-term contract Alexander desires. But we do hear that, in the Henry matter, Seattle is still a dark-horse landing spot, should the Seahawks ever find someone to take the unhappy Alexander off their hands.

ShadowHawk7
06-10-2005, 02:44 PM
Sweet news, thanks. :up:

feelthepain
06-10-2005, 03:54 PM
I think it will be a big mistake letting Henry go and leaving Willis all alone in the backfield. You have no legit backup to Willis if Henry leaves. The same thing happend to the fins last year Ricky left and we had no real backup to him.

The_Philster
06-10-2005, 03:57 PM
I think it will be a big mistake letting Henry go and leaving Willis all alone in the backfield. You have no legit backup to Willis if Henry leaves. The same thing happend to the fins last year Ricky left and we had no real backup to him.problem is...if Henry becomes a problem in the locker room, it would negate any positives having him as the backup

Mr. Cynical
06-10-2005, 04:20 PM
I think it will be a big mistake letting Henry go and leaving Willis all alone in the backfield. You have no legit backup to Willis if Henry leaves. The same thing happend to the fins last year Ricky left and we had no real backup to him.
I think Shaud Williams is going to surprise alot of people. If he ends up being our #2, I'm comfortable with that.

OpIv37
06-10-2005, 06:00 PM
WTF is going on here? 3 teams interested in him and not one will surrender a 3rd for a potential starting RB? Either Henry is demanding a contract renegotiation that screwing up the trade or someone's not telling us something.

Of those teams, I'd prefer Tennessee's 3rd because they will undoubtably be the worst of those 4 (and I'll be laughing and enjoying every single moment of their losing season).

I think Shaud Williams is going to surprise alot of people. If he ends up being our #2, I'm comfortable with that.

I don't agree with this at all. Shaud is too small and is a scat back. McGahee has moves but he's incredibly strong and I think of him as more of a power runner. Shaud will not do well against more physical teams.

That being said, i agree with Phil that we're better off without Henry as a locker room cancer. I'd wish he'd just STFU and play, but it's pretty obvious by now that it ain't gonna happen.

G. Host
06-10-2005, 06:32 PM
problem is...if Henry becomes a problem in the locker room, it would negate any positives having him as the backup

I think 'problem in the locker room' is a way of "I don't like the player".

Only weak coaches allow players to become 'problems in the locker room'. Strong coaches turn such players and their agents as lessons on not what to do.

Drive 4 Five
06-10-2005, 06:35 PM

Yeah and what do you know. If I remember correctly, your team didn't even have a runningback last year.

Just kidding bro. I know you weren't trying to start trouble. Just giving you s**t.

Listen, we appreciate your concern but the only thing you should be concerned with is how you are going to deal with the sight of Willis running the ball down your phishy throats...

ParanoidAndroid
06-10-2005, 10:15 PM
I think the tandem of Lee, Gates, and Williams will be fine. I would be more comfortable with that than with Minor and Morris.
Lee is a power runner, Shaud is a speed back and Gates is well rounded but an untested rookie.
What is the knock on Gates anyway? All I know is that he had a couple minor injuries his senior year and barely lost the starting job to Sheldon. His junior year he had about 1200yds combined, running and receiving. Not too shabby for sharing time with Sheldon and Bush.

clumping platelets
06-10-2005, 11:31 PM
Take a conditional 4th that can upgrade to a 3rd or even a 2nd and be done with it :D

CanaanVtBills
06-10-2005, 11:54 PM
What if, and please don't let this haunt me, but what if Willis hurts that knee again? Then do we have that is and has prooven to be a warrior? It's Travis. It's part of the game and blows, but these individuals are players, but want all the glory to themselves-TIEM(TEAM). That sucks when I think Henry and Wills would make a great backfield. What's the ultimate goal?????
A damn ring!!!

Can't we all just get along?

But for now I can deal with Shaud being the potential 2nd man he hasn't rushed for 1356, or 1438 yds in a season

O well as long as were not going to be labeled "The Bickering Bills"

Mr. Cynical
06-11-2005, 01:38 AM
I don't agree with this at all. Shaud is too small and is a scat back. McGahee has moves but he's incredibly strong and I think of him as more of a power runner. Shaud will not do well against more physical teams.
That depends. If the line is opening holes, then his speed and moves will allow him to do well. I'm not comparing him to Barry in ANY WAY, but he is an example that physical stature is not always the end all be all of factors. However I do agree that if the line is sucking and he has to make his own holes, then yes, he won't be very successful. In the end it will depend on his toughness.

kevinj22
06-11-2005, 02:07 AM
I think that Lee will be the #2 back this season and will contribute in a huge way. This guy is strong, and a straight ahead runner. TH did a good job for us but to keep him on this team would be ridiculous at this point. Lee reminds me of Lamont Jordan and I really think he will be a pleasant surprise.

Meathead
06-11-2005, 04:44 AM
If Lee is so good why didn't Dallas keep him as their #3 RB? They didn't have enough confidence in him so they went out and signed Anthony Thomas, but they could have kept him on the roster but didn't.

feelthepain
06-11-2005, 10:03 AM
Yeah and what do you know. If I remember correctly, your team didn't even have a runningback last year.

Just kidding bro. I know you weren't trying to start trouble. Just giving you s**t.

Listen, we appreciate your concern but the only thing you should be concerned with is how you are going to deal with the sight of Willis running the ball down your phishy throats...

Listen, if anyone here knows the effect of not having a solid backup on the roster it's me. We had no one to back up Ricky. Ricky was easily a top 3 back before he quit, and the ripple effect was huge for the fins. Another problem that has to be brought up is that JP is basicly a rookie and needs all the help he can get. Not having solid depth could prove to be a big issue if Willis were to go down. Lets be honest, even a back thats never had a knee problem could go down at any given time , but to have a major knee injury and to be the only threat in the backfield is suicide. Here what I think is the reason Henry is still a Bill. I think TD knows losing Henry could be huge, and unless he gets a deal thats to good to pass up, I think he knows there is no one else better suited for your team then Henry should Willis go down. I know Henry is making noise right now but he won't jeprodize his future just to be right. I think the effect Ricky had leaving the Fins has made a lasting impression on the rest of the league. While getting younger is always popular having proven players on the roster is just smart business.

Dicknoze69
06-11-2005, 12:55 PM
If Lee is so good why didn't Dallas keep him as their #3 RB? They didn't have enough confidence in him so they went out and signed Anthony Thomas, but they could have kept him on the roster but didn't.

Lee was having trouble pass-blocking, which is a huge Parcells pet-peeve. He absolutely hates RB who can't pass protect.

However, Lee is a very good runner, who is a solid but flawed reserve. If he could pass protect at all, he'd still be a Cowpoke.

sdbillsfan2
06-11-2005, 02:25 PM
I think it will be a big mistake letting Henry go and leaving Willis all alone in the backfield. You have no legit backup to Willis if Henry leaves. The same thing happend to the fins last year Ricky left and we had no real backup to him. "Let Him Go" ?

" dayum ,all this time I thought it was henry saying he wasn't coming back!!!!