PDA

View Full Version : Semi-excused absence

The_Philster
06-10-2005, 05:59 PM
As long as Willis McGahee (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/6359) is staying in shape, coach Mike Mularkey is OK with his running back's sporadic attendance at Buffalo Bills (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/bills)' optional minicamp practices.
McGahee skipped the final session of Buffalo's four-day minicamp Friday. He also missed the previous two weeks of minicamps, preferring to work out with NFL players in his native Miami.

"There's no question he's been working out. You can tell, physically, he's a specimen," Mularkey said.http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/nfl/06/10/bc.fbn.bills.mcgaheebjt.ap/
<!--startclickprintexclude-->

OpIv37
06-10-2005, 06:05 PM
Good move by Mularkey in not pissing off a star player as long as McGahee's staying in shape. But WTF is wrong with these Miami guys?

Hey Willis, you're not a Hurricane anymore, dip****, you're a Bill, so get your ass to Buffalo and do your multimillion dollar job properly.

To me, this just says that McGahee's committed to football for himself and not for his team. His snake of an agent will either stick it to us financially or get McGahee to leave as soon as his contract expires. I love the way the guy plays and I have his jersey, but his attitude could use a little adjusting (as is the case with most "U" guys).

pleasesavedrew
06-10-2005, 08:00 PM
He should be with his teamates. Period.

feelthepain
06-10-2005, 08:55 PM
He should be with his teamates. Period.
Exactly, with Henry and Willis MIA!!! Not good, I don't care how early in the year it is. You don't see many Vets missing practice. Makes ya kinda wonder if maybe Willis had his knee drained or scoped. That and family to me would be the only reasons to be excused from camp.

juice
06-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Exactly, with Henry and Willis MIA!!! Not good, I don't care how early in the year it is. You don't see many Vets missing practice. Makes ya kinda wonder if maybe Willis had his knee drained or scoped. That and family to me would be the only reasons to be excused from camp.Who cares.. Edge skips these optional team practices every year and it seems like he gets stronger as the season goes on.. As long as Illis isn't down there smokin' trees with Ricky and it's all good with MM then there's not a problem.

This guy is chisled, so as long as he gets his knee to 100% he could be hangin' out in the Bahamas with Ziggy Marley as far as I'm concerned.:smoke:

Meathead
06-10-2005, 09:29 PM
I don't really mind, but you'd think the guy might want to maximize reps with the new QB so he can be a big part of the passing game.

feelthepain
06-10-2005, 09:41 PM
Who cares.. Edge skips these optional team practices every year and it seems like he gets stronger as the season goes on.. As long as Illis isn't down there smokin' trees with Ricky and it's all good with MM then there's not a problem.

This guy is chisled, so as long as he gets his knee to 100% he could be hangin' out in the Bahamas with Ziggy Marley as far as I'm concerned.:smoke:
There is more to missing camp then just the workouts. There is bonding and getting familiar with the new players. Willis hasn,t even played a full season yet, I'd say he needs to be there as much as the rookies.

sdbillsfan2
06-10-2005, 09:46 PM
I don't care how chisled he is physically,it all about get the reps in ..Not only for his sake but to get the timing down with JP. Nobody has been accussed of calling Willis a Rocket scientist..so why why doesn't he come in and work with the new Qb and the new lineman?
I think this says alot about his committment to the "TEAM". It's like he's saying" Henry is gone ,I'm the man now ,so I'm gonna milk the situation" What do we look forward to next year ? Him and his Agent giving us a repeat of T.O. 2005?
If JP can get there in Feb. I don't see why the others can't at least show up for these sessions weather they're mandatory or not !

juice
06-10-2005, 10:28 PM
I don't care how chisled he is physically,it all about get the reps in ..Not only for his sake but to get the timing down with JP. Nobody has been accussed of calling Willis a Rocket scientist..so why why doesn't he come in and work with the new Qb and the new lineman?
I think this says alot about his committment to the "TEAM". It's like he's saying" Henry is gone ,I'm the man now ,so I'm gonna milk the situation" What do we look forward to next year ? Him and his Agent giving us a repeat of T.O. 2005?
If JP can get there in Feb. I don't see why the others can't at least show up for these sessions weather they're mandatory or not !This is a business and Willis is treating it as just that.. if he attended every non-mandatory then he would be nothing more than property of the Buffalo Bills - this way he shows the organization that he wont be another Travis Henry with an idiot Englehard agent to be treated like a piece of meat to be discarded when it becomes convenient to do so.

This way he shows he's a major player with a big time agent, he wont be handled like a piece of ASS that the Brass is tired of screwing as soon as he fumbles the ball a few times or misses a few games due to an injury.

When the organization treats it's players the way that the Bills have treated T. Henry or D. Bledsoe or R. Brown or JJ or Pat Williams, theres no way you can blame these guys for not being TEAM PLAYERS or not putting the team before their own best interests.. These Miami boys are a different breed and Illis has the right agent to keep him from getting screwed by an organization that apparently lacks respect for players.

Look at recent history, can you blame Willis for treating the game like a business first? People talk about Willis not being very BRIGHT but he's smart enough to know that there is no team loyalty in the NFL, from the players or the organizations.

Nate Clements will be the next Superstar to take the money and run and can you blame him, why take less when you can go elsewhere and get paid.

juice
06-10-2005, 10:32 PM
There is more to missing camp then just the workouts. There is bonding and getting familiar with the new players. Willis hasn,t even played a full season yet, I'd say he needs to be there as much as the rookies.Bonding is for rookie RBs like Brown who have not put up 1100 yds in 12 starts, Willis has proven his value and he's the reason that RWS is selling out at a record clip.

Mr. Cynical
06-11-2005, 01:29 AM
I'm not that happy about him skipping. Regardless of his conditioning, he is not showing a committment to the team. I mean, look at Moulds:

Receiver Eric Moulds (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/3510) is making sure to attend as many optional practices as he can to become comfortable with Losman and the offense.

"I think my situation is a little bit different than a lot of guys, like on defense," Moulds said. "That's because I've got a young quarterback that I've got to work with so I have to get my timing down with him. And the more time I spend with J.P., the better off I think we'll be."

Now Moulds, being a 9 year vet, would have earned the "right" to skip a few optionals. But he is there because he is committed. WM should be as well.

***** Drew Rosenhaus it probably behind this. I swear, the Bills should never deal with another "Drew" ever again.

The_Philster
06-11-2005, 05:23 AM
There is more to missing camp then just the workouts. There is bonding and getting familiar with the new players. Willis hasn,t even played a full season yet, I'd say he needs to be there as much as the rookies.

agreed..having everyone there keeps the team close-knit and on the same page....something we need for success

The King
06-11-2005, 07:16 AM
I'm not that happy about him skipping. Regardless of his conditioning, he is not showing a committment to the team. I mean, look at Moulds:

Receiver Eric Moulds (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/3510) is making sure to attend as many optional practices as he can to become comfortable with Losman and the offense.

"I think my situation is a little bit different than a lot of guys, like on defense," Moulds said. "That's because I've got a young quarterback that I've got to work with so I have to get my timing down with him. And the more time I spend with J.P., the better off I think we'll be."

Now Moulds, being a 9 year vet, would have earned the "right" to skip a few optionals. But he is there because he is committed. WM should be as well.

***** Drew Rosenhaus it probably behind this. I swear, the Bills should never deal with another "Drew" ever again.

Agreed. I saw this quote and I was a bit shocked to be honest. Its nice to see Moulds with that attitude. Moulds is one of my least favorite players on the team but if he keeps that level of commitment up, it will be hard to not give him the respect.

ryjam282
06-11-2005, 08:51 AM
I am OK with it. The guys from the U always do these things. They work out together every offseason. The vast majority of them get to there respective teams in GREAT shape and we all know that is really all the matters. As long as they know the playbook and are ready in time for the preseason. I am fine with it. Willis will be fine.

feelthepain
06-11-2005, 09:47 AM
agreed..having everyone there keeps the team close-knit and on the same page....something we need for success
In this league teams need every advantage to get to the next level, even the smallest detail can have a huge effect on a teams performance. The more the team plays as one unit the better the chance for success. I wouldn't like it if a player on the fins was holding out...any player!!!! But Willis is a big part of the team and should be taking a leadership by roll setting an example of being there and contributing. This sets the tone for the rest of the team. When a big part of the O doesn't feel he needs to be with his teammates, believe me it has an effect.

venis2k1
06-11-2005, 09:55 AM
this is not a big deal at all, hes a u guy, thats what u guys do. and its not like its training camp. he will be at training camp in shape, healthy(knock on wood) and ready to play.

Jan Reimers
06-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Since we have a new QB, Willis should be taking every opportunity to work with JP. It wouldn't surprise me if Rosengreed had something to do with Willis not being with the team - showing his independence or something.

ryjam282
06-11-2005, 01:26 PM
I doubt it Jan....All the U guys do it. Just look at the history of them. Edge, Portis, Sean Taylor, Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Santana Moss, Jeremey Shockey...The list goes on, he will be fine. It has nothing to do with Rosendouche.