PDA

View Full Version : Gilbride Truth: 1

4thAndLong
12-21-2002, 02:40 PM
Gilbride doesn't know how to run.

The Bills are 29th in the league in rushing attempts...While we're averaging 4.5 yards a carry.

shelby
12-21-2002, 02:46 PM
i wish he would figure it out.....Henry needs to be allowed to run...especially if we are to beat Green Bay.

ArcticWildMan
12-21-2002, 03:15 PM
When you are behind in games, you abandon the run. The games we have been ahead or close in, we have a solid running game. You don't run when you are behind and time is a factor.

WG
12-21-2002, 03:31 PM
Yeah Shelby!

As soon as you're down by 3, 4, or 7 in the first Q you completely abandon the run. It's difficult to come back when you trail by 4 points in the 1st Q.

I think 4th is being facetious.

WG
12-21-2002, 03:32 PM
Hey 4th,

You got any specific games that you'd like to list to give your argument some credibility? Or is providing some facts and the like simply too tedious?

LOL

WG
12-21-2002, 03:32 PM
Oh, sorry!

Bledsoe Rules!

Phew! I almost forgot...

The_Philster
12-21-2002, 03:47 PM
:rofl: Wys

ArcticWildMan
12-21-2002, 03:57 PM
Gee, for a team that supposedly is misusing it's running back so much, it's funny that Henry is the 4th rated RB in the AFC, and only trails George, Dillon, Tomlinson, Williams, and Holmes in number of carries.

I have to ask.. would anything make you happy Wys? You ***** about everything.

ArcticWildMan
12-21-2002, 03:59 PM
One other fact....Henry leads all NFC rushers in yards and is only beat out in number of carries by Duece McAlister.

I guess every OC in the NFC deserves to be fired :rolleyes:

colin
12-21-2002, 04:05 PM
We obviously need to run more, but i don't think it is by that much.

4thAndLong
12-21-2002, 04:44 PM
Lets see...

Travis Henry has the same YPC as Ricky Williams, yet Ricky Williams is over 16,000 in yards, AWM.

In games where Henry goes over 100 yards or 25+ carries, we're 4-2!

AWM....How many teams in the league use RB by committee? Eagles, Pitt, SF, Minn (beginning of season), Oakland (put Wheatley in the mix sometimes), so that takes away from individual carries and puts us 29th in the league in total rushing attempts.

Also, 2 games where Henry has had 6.0+ YPC against 2 of the better rush defenses in the league...(Miami, SD)

ArcticWildMan
12-21-2002, 04:50 PM
Maybe we can get Drew to add up all the times he's called a pass play at the line when a run was called in by Gilbride?

NOBODY takes into account that Drew does a tremendous amount of play changing. I bet Drew changes 2-3 running plays to pass plays a game (and probably even more when you note all the audibles he calls at the line). 2-3 running plays per game X 14 games most likely means the difference between Henry being the 4th rated RB in the league and possibly the 2nd.

4thAndLong
12-21-2002, 04:52 PM
AWM, Gilbride does most of the playcalling! He only gives Bledsoe the oppurtunity to change the play at the line.

And even if he is audibiling...How do you know he's changing it from a running play?

Gilbride is following his reputation as being a lousy OC.

ArcticWildMan
12-21-2002, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by 4thAndLong
Lets see...

Travis Henry has the same YPC as Ricky Williams, yet Ricky Williams is over 16,000 in yards, AWM.

In games where Henry goes over 100 yards or 25+ carries, we're 4-2!

AWM....How many teams in the league use RB by committee? Eagles, Pitt, SF, Minn (beginning of season), Oakland (put Wheatley in the mix sometimes), so that takes away from individual carries and puts us 29th in the league in total rushing attempts.

Also, 2 games where Henry has had 6.0+ YPC against 2 of the better rush defenses in the league...(Miami, SD)

Comparing Miami's running game to us is comparing apples to oranges. That was the ONLY form of offense they had!!

Miami had almost no passing game all season. Chambers was hurt for a significant time, Carter was a late addition that has only played 2 games or so. Gadson was hurt all season (IR). For a few weeks the Phins were STARTING 3rd dtring receivers!! And let's not forget that Fiedler was out for quite a bit of time and future Hall of Famer Ray Lucas was the QB :rolleyes:

The only thing Miami had as far as offense WAS Ricky Williams, so of course he will have more yards and carries.

ArcticWildMan
12-21-2002, 05:00 PM
AWM, Gilbride does most of the playcalling! He only gives Bledsoe the oppurtunity to change the play at the line.

And even if he is audibiling...How do you know he's changing it from a running play?

Gilbride is following his reputation as being a lousy OC.

WRONG!!!! A lousy OC was what we had last year. The players were all complaining about his play calling. This year the players have nothing but praise for Gilbride!!! How fast we all forget.....

4thAndLong
12-21-2002, 05:04 PM
That doesn't change the fact that we're 29th in the league in rushing attempts, and 3rd in passing attempts.

We were behind in alot of the games we've played, but by how much? 3, 7, 4?

Here are some games that Gilbride abandoned the run when it was working...

@Hou (abandoned run in the beginning of the game, when Henry was our only form of offense. Should've had 35+ carries this game)
Ne
@NE (Towards end of the game when we started to come back in the 4th)

Oh, and the last couple games TH HAS been our only form of offense, so comparing us to Miami is pretty easy to do lately.

ArcticWildMan
12-21-2002, 05:16 PM
Sorry, but you STILL ignore the fact that Miami didn't have a passing game almost the ENTIRE season AND we do not use any other runniung backs. Like I said before, Centers is a PASS catching FB. He is NOT a RB.

One other note....Miami does not have this: Drew Bledsoe, Eric Moulds, Peerless Price, Josh Reed.

Of course we are going to favor the pass with that talent. If we didn't, we'd be stupid.

Another thing that is being ignored is Henry's fumblitis. His carries were limited in several games after he fumbled in critical situations. You cannot fault a team for passing when the RB fumbles and the other team scores points because of it!

4thAndLong
12-21-2002, 05:19 PM
He's been over his fumbles.

He had a 6.5 YPC last week vs SD, and still only had 22 carries. Where was he in the 3rd quarter?
He had a 4.0 YPC @NE, and got 15 carries.

The only game recently where he's used Henry alot has been the Miami game, where he had 35 carries and opened the game up for us.

4thAndLong
12-21-2002, 05:20 PM
Oh, and comparing Miami to Buffalo...

Henry and Williams both have only two games where they've had over 30 attempts.

There shouldn't be a game where Henry is under 20 carries...He's too good for that to happen.

This offense needs to be more balanced.

WG
12-21-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
Gee, for a team that supposedly is misusing it's running back so much, it's funny that Henry is the 4th rated RB in the AFC, and only trails George, Dillon, Tomlinson, Williams, and Holmes in number of carries.

I have to ask.. would anything make you happy Wys? You ***** about everything.

Well, no matter how you slice it, it is difficult to argue that 11, 12, 12, 12, 15, 15, and 17 carries were enough, especially when we were 2-5 in those games and the criticism almost to a consensus was that we should have run more in those games.

It's the approach that I'm talking about. The approach that says "pass first w/ Drew and only run when you have to or to throw in a token rushing play every now and again."

This past S.D. game was the perfect example of how Gilbride has run our year. If you want to say that Drew is partially responsible for this type of lopsided play-calling, I suppose that's OK, but I'd like to hear how many plays he is actually altering before coming to that conclusion. Maybe you've done the research. I haven't nor do I have a source for that type of stuff.

But in the S.D. game, Drew was horrible yet we kept going to him time after time. We even threw him on 7 plays that were: on 2nd-and-2 once, 2nd-and-3 three times, and 3rd-and-3 three times. So if there is any predisposed notion to do anything here it is obviously pass.

Nonetheless, prior to the last 3 minutes of the game, Henry had 15 carries to Drew's 32 dropbacks. That's about 70% passing even though Drew couldn't hit water from a boat on Sunday. So what does Gilbride do, in the last drive when we absolutely need a score, Henry gets 7 of 10 carries and we score.

That is the epitome of the entire season. Throw first, and if we haven't burried ourselves as a result, when we need the win, then run Henry. In the handful of games where we haven't approached it like that, we've fared quite well going 5-2.

Captain gameboy
12-21-2002, 07:03 PM
Travis Henry is a very good running back.
Drew Bledsoe is a very good quarterback.
Travis Henry derives a good deal of his success from the threat that Drew Bledsoe poses as a quarterback with three good receivers.
If any of our remaining quarterbacks were seeing significant playing time, Travis Henry would suffer immensely.

TacklingDummy
12-21-2002, 07:12 PM
He's been over his fumbles.

He had a 6.5 YPC last week vs SD, and still only had 22 carries. Where was he in the 3rd quarter?

Didn't he fumble in the SD game?:doh:

You guys kill me *****ing about our Offense that is in the top 10 in almost every statistical catogory.

Why are you not *****ing about the Defense that is ranked in the bottom 10 if not the bottom 3 in every Defensive catogory?

lordofgun
12-21-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by gameboy
Travis Henry is a very good running back.
Drew Bledsoe is a very good quarterback.
Travis Henry derives a good deal of his success from the threat that Drew Bledsoe poses as a quarterback with three good receivers.
If any of our remaining quarterbacks were seeing significant playing time, Travis Henry would suffer immensely.

:up:

WG
12-21-2002, 07:27 PM
B/c the D has improved!

Is it that difficult to understand?

Here are 4 games; TD, tell us why we won them?

S.D. (13 off. PA)
Miami (1, 10 off. PA)
Miami (2, 21 off. PA)
Detroit (17 off. PA)

Why did we lose K.C. at 17 Off. PA?

Why did we lose that 2nd N.E. game?

Was it b/c the D held the Pats to essentially 20 points other than Drew's set up at our 6 YL?
Or was it more due to 17 points off of TOs, 7 of which Drew handed to them on a silver platter?

What, our D has to hold teams to how many points before it's considered good?

Lay it right out there TD! Don't be bashful. What, 3, 6?

Are Drew and his lame TOs at all responsible for us losing games? How 'bout that one INT to Buchanon to put the Raiders ahead by 11 in the early part of the 4th Q v. them? Or the following drive on which Drew got sacked twice before overthrowing Moulds to give the ball right back to them so that they could run the clock out?

Was that the D's fault? Henry's? Or can you dig it up from somewhere deep down that perhaps we lost a couple of games is b/c we actually relied on Drew too much and or too often?

Bottom line: If you rank the D on what they've done over the past 8 weeks, they'd be ranked right in the middle of the stack. Yes, we're weak in rush D. But we've improved and that's huge.

Actually, every aspect of our game has improved except for Drew who's regressed! Go figure! From a veteran of 10 seasons who's supposed to be a superstar, I really don't expect that nor do I think it qualifies him for team MVP.

WG
12-21-2002, 07:32 PM
BTW, Henry's fumbles have tapered off tremendously since the beginning of the year. He had 5 fumbles in his first 6 games and has only had 3 in his last 8. Only one of those last 3 were lost. I'd say that was tremendous improvement.

TacklingDummy
12-21-2002, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
B/c the D has improved!

Is it that difficult to understand?

Here are 4 games; TD, tell us why we won them?

S.D. (13 off. PA)
Miami (1, 10 off. PA)
Miami (2, 21 off. PA)
Detroit (17 off. PA)

Why did we lose K.C. at 17 Off. PA?

Why did we lose the second New England game.

1st Miami Game: We won because of Ray Lucas.
2nd NE game: We won because are Offense blew Miami out. Or do you consider allowing Ricky Williams 200+ yards rushing good?
Detroit Game: We almost lost because of a Henry fumble late in the game.
SD Game: We won because are Defense played well and Henry played well.

We lost to KC because our Defense couldnt hold KC's offense when they had to. And we lost because of the poor Red Zone play by our Offense.

We lost the 2nd NE game because our Defense played like crap when it counted. NE off to a 20-0 lead does't help what the Bills wanted to do on offense.

How come we won the Minnesota game?
How come we won the Chicago game?
How come we lost the Oakland game?
How come we lost the Denver game?
How come we lost both Jets games?
How come we lost the 1st NE game?
How come we lost come we barely won the Lions and Houston game?

If the Defense is so much improved lately can you tell me how many sacks they have and how many turnovers they have created in the last 7 games?

I'll answer it for you, 8 sacks and 4 turnovers. 3 of which came in 1 game against Miami. Not bad for a 7 game total.

Yeah your right, they are improved.

ublinkwescore
12-21-2002, 09:19 PM
Emperor Ublink for OC in 2003!!!