PDA

View Full Version : Outlook for the '05 season....

OpIv37
06-10-2005, 07:07 PM
So it's a little bit early, but here's my opinion on where we stand so far.

Negatives:
1. JP's inexperience. I don't want to invoke the old Bledsoe/Losman argument- Drew didn't work out as we hoped and it's time to move on. But the fact is that JP has 0 NFL starts and his lack of experience will show, at least initially.

2. O-line. I don't want to hear the "we only lost one player" argument. We lost a player at the most important position, have two linemen who weren't on the team last year (Anderson, GandY), and two linemen who weren't even linemen last year (Bannan, Peters). This alone could be death for our team- I'm worried that they'll get JP and/or McGahee injured.

3. Kicker- Lindell is a HUGE liability, especially if we play ball-control offense and end up in a lot of close games. I guarantee he will cost us at least one victory and I won't be surprised if he costs us more.

4. DL- the loss of Williams is huge and will have a negative effect on the ability to stop the run, which is key to our defense.

5. TE- if Campbell and Everett heal, we'll be solid at this position. As it stands, we're really weak.

Positives:
1. Returning 10 starters on D and the best ST in football, which is only going to get better with the addition of Parrish as a returner. This should take the pressure off the offense.

2. McGahee- the guy's a monster and will only improve as his recovery continues. If he stays healthy, the rest of the NFL better look out.

3. Coaching. Mularkey's no Marv Levy, but he learned quickly last year and I think he's a solid coach. Gray, April, Wyche and McNally are the best assistants in the business. Say what you want about TD but we have one hell of a coaching staff. And if anyone can get our rag-tag O-line to play well, it's McNally.

4. JP's work ethic- this guy is working his ass off, and if he has half the talent the coaching staff thinks he does, he'll be a big help to our team by mid-season.

5. Lee Evans- he's either going to eat up the NFL or open up the field for Moulds. Either way, it helps the passing game tremendously.

Prediction:
I honestly don't know. If the O-line struggles, JP has a hard time picking up the NFL, and Edwards or Anderson can't step up on D-line, I could see us going 5-11 (especially since we're in the toughest division in football and have a difficult schedule).

If JP plays well, our D is solid, and McNally gets the O line in shape, we'll make the playoffs without a problem. 10-6 is realistic but 11-5 or 12-4 isn't outside the realm of possibility.

My best guess is that we'll be fighting for a playoff spot late in the season, and whether or not we make it depends on JP Losman.

Thoughts?

mayotm
06-10-2005, 08:54 PM
The defense and special teams are good enough to keep them in every game. If the offense is somewhere close to average, 10 - 6 is a possibility. I think they need to get off to a quick start. I agree that JP will play a key role one way or the other. But honestly, can he be any worse in big games than Bledsoe was? That would be tough.

Meathead
06-11-2005, 04:39 AM
So your prediction is anywhere from 5-11 to 12-4? Way to go out on a limb there, Swami. lol.

OpIv37
06-11-2005, 08:53 AM
So your prediction is anywhere from 5-11 to 12-4? Way to go out on a limb there, Swami. lol.
yeah I know- I just honestly can't come up with a justifiable prediction for this team because Losman and the O-line are such big question marks. For some reason, I have a really good feeling that this could be the year it all comes together, but at the same time I can see our offense totally struggling again like 2003 and the first month of last season.

mayotm is right- the D and ST is good enough to keep us in every game, but that was true in 2003 and it got us 6-10 because our offense was terrible. That's why I don't really know what to predict, because there are too many factors that could affect the offense right now.

buffmaniac
06-11-2005, 09:02 AM
11-5 Mark it down

venis2k1
06-11-2005, 09:49 AM
Gray, April, Wyche and McNally are the best assistants in the business. Say what you want about TD but we have one hell of a coaching staff.

i think that Tim Krumrie, Tyke Tolbert are great coaches too. also you have to like what LB coach Don Blackmon brings to the table. i love all our coaches, MM could not have done a better job assembling his staff. ohh yea, Tom Clements is leaps and bounds better than (sorry for bringing this name up) Kevin Gilbride.

HAMMER
06-11-2005, 11:53 AM
11-5 and a playoff spot. I think the fact that Losman has been working so hard on the mental aspects of his game will pay dividends. If anyone can get him to where he needs to be it is Wyche. The defense is the unit that is going to take the biggest hit with the loss of Fat Pat. He was simply one of the best in the game and I don't see any way you replace him adequately with Edwards and Anderson. Special teams will be even better, Goldberry, Rashard Lee, and Roscoe Parrish upgrade an already stellar unit. O-line will be interesting, can Gandy fill the hole left by Jennings, he was a very good LT. I believe in Moo, big time. I agree that we have a very good coaching staff. This team should be able to win a playoff game this year. Look for them to make a deep run next year after Losman matures further.

Bill Brasky
06-12-2005, 06:20 AM
So it's a little bit early, but here's my opinion on where we stand so far.

Negatives:
1. JP's inexperience. I don't want to invoke the old Bledsoe/Losman argument- Drew didn't work out as we hoped and it's time to move on. But the fact is that JP has 0 NFL starts and his lack of experience will show, at least initially.

2. O-line. I don't want to hear the "we only lost one player" argument. We lost a player at the most important position, have two linemen who weren't on the team last year (Anderson, GandY), and two linemen who weren't even linemen last year (Bannan, Peters). This alone could be death for our team- I'm worried that they'll get JP and/or McGahee injured.

3. Kicker- Lindell is a HUGE liability, especially if we play ball-control offense and end up in a lot of close games. I guarantee he will cost us at least one victory and I won't be surprised if he costs us more.

4. DL- the loss of Williams is huge and will have a negative effect on the ability to stop the run, which is key to our defense.

5. TE- if Campbell and Everett heal, we'll be solid at this position. As it stands, we're really weak.

Positives:
1. Returning 10 starters on D and the best ST in football, which is only going to get better with the addition of Parrish as a returner. This should take the pressure off the offense.

2. McGahee- the guy's a monster and will only improve as his recovery continues. If he stays healthy, the rest of the NFL better look out.

3. Coaching. Mularkey's no Marv Levy, but he learned quickly last year and I think he's a solid coach. Gray, April, Wyche and McNally are the best assistants in the business. Say what you want about TD but we have one hell of a coaching staff. And if anyone can get our rag-tag O-line to play well, it's McNally.

4. JP's work ethic- this guy is working his ass off, and if he has half the talent the coaching staff thinks he does, he'll be a big help to our team by mid-season.

5. Lee Evans- he's either going to eat up the NFL or open up the field for Moulds. Either way, it helps the passing game tremendously.

Prediction:
I honestly don't know. If the O-line struggles, JP has a hard time picking up the NFL, and Edwards or Anderson can't step up on D-line, I could see us going 5-11 (especially since we're in the toughest division in football and have a difficult schedule).

If JP plays well, our D is solid, and McNally gets the O line in shape, we'll make the playoffs without a problem. 10-6 is realistic but 11-5 or 12-4 isn't outside the realm of possibility.

My best guess is that we'll be fighting for a playoff spot late in the season, and whether or not we make it depends on JP Losman.

Thoughts?

Just at a quick glance I'd have to say I agree... but I'd place the TE issue higher on the list... w/o a decent line JP will be running around quite a bit, and he doesn't have a realiable target to dump the ball off to in those short range situations... it really concerns me because he's gonna be scrambling too and fro, all the live-long day... god knows this line couldn't block a midget squad.

Jan Reimers
06-12-2005, 08:08 AM
I think that we will be OK at TE if Campbell and Euhus are ready to go by opening day which, according to everything I've read, seems to be the prognosis. I'm not as worried about the loss of Fat Pat as many are, either, because I believe Edwards is ready to make a big contribution, and Anderson will be a good backup.

LT still worries me, but I'll give Gandy the benefit of the doubt.