1A DE/OLB DeMarcus Ware - Troy State University
1B CB Antrelle Rolle - Miami University
7A CB Eric Green - Virginia Tech University
7B C Duke Preston - Illinois University
8 QB David Greene - Georgia University

What did you think of my draft?

The King
06-11-2005, 09:22 AM
As long as you got what you wanted early on its good. Your going to lack cheap depth going into next season but I am sure that can be managed. I like the Preston pick late. I think your overall draft grade would be like a C but thats only because your missing the middle five rounds, thats quite a bit of talent you missed out on. But you made solid picks with what you had except Greene... kind of a wasted pick, I think.

R. Rich
06-11-2005, 09:40 AM
1A DE/OLB DeMarcus Ware - Troy State University
1B CB Antrelle Rolle - Miami University
7A CB Eric Green - Virginia Tech University
7B C Duke Preston - Illinois University
8 QB David Greene - Georgia University

What did you think of my draft?

Your draft sucks.

Seriously, Ware is a good pick. I liked him a lot, but I went w/ DJ, who is a more complete LB and is just as athletic. Someone said in another post how DJ doesn't make many big plays: can anyone tell me who has the NCAA record for forced fumbles in a season? I can't recall...

Back to Ware. Monster pass rusher, should develop into a stud LB. I mentioned before he could be a Joey Porter type OLB in a 3-4. Good pick. I knew you were going after a LB, since your guys are pretty old and your depth was suspect, and you got one of the very best.

Rolle is a good, physical corner, but not very quick and may struggle for a short time in man coverage due to that fact, plus the enforcement of the 5 yard chuck zone rules. Do I think he's a bad player or a bad pick? Heck no, but I had Carlos Rogers as the best CB in this draft because he's better in coverage than Rolle, as is Pac Man Jones. Personally, I feel Rolle will adapt to the rules and become a standout corner in time. He probably won't just step in and dominate, but it shouldn't take long for him to become a real force in the NFL.....and the BZFL.

Eric Green and Duke Preston are very solid value picks where you got them. I have come around on Preston since the Bills drafted him. I still didn't have him in my top 10 (11th), but he is a very talented player and also a very intelligent one. I think the Bills believe he still has yet to play his best football. I'm not that big a fan of Greene. I didn't look @ the way the 8th round turned out, but which other QBs were available @ the time?

SO...

Overall: B

Breakdown of grades:
Ware: A
Rolle: B
Preston: B (ability & value used for this grade)
Green: B (same)
Greene: C

SABURZFAN
06-14-2005, 07:26 AM
going by team needs,you did a great job plugging holes.you could have used one more draft pick though.i give it a B.

R. Rich
06-22-2005, 07:46 AM
Yo Sportuser, what did you think of the critiques of your draft? I was a fan of most of your picks, except for Greene. Then again, he is the winningest QB in college football history.

Sportsuser101
06-22-2005, 02:23 PM
Yo Sportuser, what did you think of the critiques of your draft? I was a fan of most of your picks, except for Greene. Then again, he is the winningest QB in college football history.
I think a B is a fair grade. I felt like I got 2 of the top 5 players in the draft. Yes I was hurt by not having picks in the 2nd to 6th round but I felt like I got good values with Green and Preston.

From day 1 I went for the best player available. If I didn't go for best player available I probably wouldn't have drafted Antrelle Rolle or Eric Green.

I like David Greene. He knows how to win and think he will be capable backup for me if Carter isn't around for me as a backup. I certainly didn't pick him to be a starter.

I don't think anybody can really get an A so a B is what I would have given myself as well. IMO you only get an A when you look back at the draft in a few years.

R. Rich
06-22-2005, 02:49 PM
Agreed. I can't see where anyone would get an "A" grade for their draft. It would have to be near perfect. I grade mine as a B- or a C+.