Verba names Buffalo as one of handful of teams he'd like to play for...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lordofgun
    in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Verba names Buffalo as one of handful of teams he'd like to play for...

Verba, 31, is the top offensive tackle on the open market and is free to sign with anyone. He said his agent, Tom Condon, told him that 10 teams have already called to express interest. He wouldn't reveal which ones, but did name a few he'd like to play for.

"I'm interested mostly in the teams that need tackles," he said. "I'd like to play for San Diego, Houston, Buffalo, Chicago, Kansas City, San Francisco, someone like that."

He said he'll start making visits next week. But those with little cash to spare need not apply.

"I'm telling teams, 'If you're not willing to give me a big multiyear contract, don't even bring me in," he said.

How big? "$35 million," said Verba. "If I don't get what I want, I'll walk away from the game and hold my head up high."

With that attitude, it's no wonder the Bills haven't even discussed bringing him in.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

• The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

sounds good to me...a 35-year deal?
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Jayhawk
      • Aug 2004

I'd do that.
      http://www.queencityfc.com/Index.asp <-- Buffalo's Pro Soccer Club!

Comment

• lordofgun
        in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jayhawk
        I'd do that.
        I'd do it if it were backloaded and with a low signing bonus. That's it.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• The King
          Without me it's just Awe so
          • Jun 2004

I dont see why we need that selfish attitude on the team.
          I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
          "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
          You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
          It was all
          true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
          He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
          mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Tatonka
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MBBedard
            I dont see why we need that selfish attitude on the team.
            um.. because we have no real LT on the entire roster???

that would be my first guess..

as a side note.. how funny is it that he named san francisco as a team that he would like to go play for.. i guess he thinks they need a LT still.. even after jennings.. rofl.
            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• buffmaniac
              • May 2003

How big? "$35 million," said Verba. "If I don't get what I want, I'll walk away from the game and hold my head up high."

Well seeya Ross. No one is going to give you that much money

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

F him. Let him rot in his own self-centered self-righteous hell.

Comment

• The_Philster
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka
                  um.. because we have no real LT on the entire roster???
                  Gandy's started 18 games at LT
                  The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                    • May 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
                    F him. Let him rot in his own self-centered self-righteous hell.
                    Verba reminds me of Bruce Smith in his arrogant, egotistical prime.
                    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

how can a guy that just got cut demand a $35 million contract? And that comment about holding his head high and walking away from the game- that's about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. "I'm just going to turn my back on this cushy, high-paying job because it's not high paying enough". What's he going to do, fall back on his college "education"? Yeah right.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Tatonka
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The_Philster
                        Gandy's started 18 games at LT
                        he was supposed to be a guard.. he was not a very good LT.. he was not good enough the bears terrible offensive line had any inclination to see if he would ever stop getting hurt on a regular basis, and kicked his ass to the curb..

so again.. he is not a real LT.

maybe mcnally can make him one.. and maybe he can make peters one.. and maybe he can turn chicken ****, into chicken salad..

we will see..

but the question was why would we sign a LT like verba.. the answer is simple.. because we dont have a LT.. if you want to get into semantics.. then let me make it more clear.. we dont have a GOOD LT on the roster.
                        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• mysticsoto
                          Too sober for this...
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Tatonka
                          he was supposed to be a guard.. he was not a very good LT.. he was not good enough the bears terrible offensive line had any inclination to see if he would ever stop getting hurt on a regular basis, and kicked his ass to the curb..

so again.. he is not a real LT.

maybe mcnally can make him one.. and maybe he can make peters one.. and maybe he can turn chicken ****, into chicken salad..

we will see..

but the question was why would we sign a LT like verba.. the answer is simple.. because we dont have a LT.. if you want to get into semantics.. then let me make it more clear.. we dont have a GOOD LT on the roster.
                          Let me ask you this, Tatonka...at $35 Million, if you were the GM of the Bills...would you sign him?

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                            • May 2003

I'd like to see how Gandy develops under McNally. I checked Gandy's bio and he actually started 20 games at LT and 10 at LG for the Bears. He was a 3rd round draft pick out of Notre Dame, has decent size, and is only 26. He also seems to be fairly bright and highly motivated - a McNally-type player.

I think if he can stay healthy, he may turn out to be a good LT.
                            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• camelcowboy
                              • Mar 2005

I think he should buy a nice pair of walking shoes.

Comment

Working...
                              X