PDA

View Full Version : All Bills coaches ranked from dumbest to smartest.

TigerJ
06-12-2005, 10:05 PM
Here's an offseason discussion starter. Coaches ranked, dumbest to smartest, with comments.

1. (Dumbest) John Rauch - used OJ Simpson as a decoy in his offence.

2. Hank Bullough - The Yogi Berra of football coaches, had trouble speaking English even though he was a native born American.

3. Harvey Johnson - He was strictly an interim coach on two separate occasions. Not much was expected of him, and predictably, he didn't deliver much.

4. Wade Phillips - Even if he believed it was true, it was the height of idiocy to tell the press that Chris Watson was more of a "punt catcher."

5. Kaye Stephenson - The short Stephenson era was characterized by general ineptitude.

6. Gregg Williams - "This team, right now, can win the Super Bowl." He hired inexperienced assistants who didn't threaten him, and then the first experienced assistant he hired was Kevin Gilbride.

7. Buster Ramsey - Admittedly, I know virtually nothing about him, but his short tenure indicates he probably wasn't too good.

8. Jim Ringo - As a head coach, he was a very good offensive line coach.

9. Chuck Knox - He wasn't a bad coach, but didn't have a lot of football imagination.

10. Joe Collier - Replacing a resigning Lou Saban, he nearly led the Bills to a Super Bowl in his first year. Alas, his second season started out poorly and he was quickly, maybe too quickly fired. He had a solid defensive mind.

11. Mike Mularkey - To be perfectly honest, it's not really fair to rate him yet, but to this point he hasn't made many major gaffes. He appears to have hired a highly qualified staff of assistants, and to my untrained eyes looks to have the team moving in the right direction.

12. Lou Saban - He knew how to build a winner. Unfortunately he didn't know how to stay in one place for very long. He was the "Larry Brown" of football coaches, always having to move around. He coached the Bills twice, leading the Bills to back to back AFC championships in 1964 and 1965. Then he came back to rescue the Bills from the Rauch debacle. He figured out that the way to use OJ Simpson was to give him the ball, and led the Bills to the playoffs in 1974.

13. Marv Levy - With a masters degree in English literature from Harvard University, one could hardly call the guy "dumb." His genius lay in several areas. He was a fine administrator. He had a knack for handling prima dona personalities and getting them to buy into a team concept, and he knew his limitations. He knew he wasn't a brilliant Xs and Os guy, so he brought in people who were, then let them do their job. One also has to give him credit for learning from his mistakes. He was not a great head coach when he served in that capacity for the KC Chiefs. He was able to change and put things together when he came to Buffalo.

I think that's the whole list. If I left someone out feel free to correct me or express a different oppinion about the right order.

Turf
06-12-2005, 10:53 PM
Interesting thread. I don't think I have enough energy to change anything. Maybe Knox ought to be moved up. Actually most Bills head coaches I recall were useless except for Saban, Knox, and Levy.

AndreReed83
06-13-2005, 01:29 AM
I think Phillips is a pretty good coach actually. Although he did make some dumb choices as the head coach, he would have done far better then G. Williams with the same players, in my opinion.

The_Philster
06-13-2005, 04:57 AM
4. Wade Phillips - Even if he believed it was true, it was the height of idiocy to tell the press that Chris Watson was more of a "punt catcher.".Let's not forget he also wrote off the 2000 season with about 3 games to play..we were tied with the Colts going into a matchup with them...he said we were out of it...we lost to the Colts that night and they won out and made the playoffs

YardRat
06-13-2005, 05:34 AM
It speaks volumes about the Bills coaching history that a guy with one year under his belt is already ranked in the top three.

TigerJ
06-13-2005, 08:18 AM
It speaks volumes about the Bills coaching history that a guy with one year under his belt is already ranked in the top three.

That's probably wishful thinking on my part. I could see Knox being ranked a bit higher, and maybe even Wade. I always thought Wade's limited success was more due to left over momentum from the Levy years than anything he did. If Knox were moved up a bit, then Mularkey would be moved down a couple notches.

Earthquake Enyart
06-13-2005, 08:45 AM
Knox was way better than Collier or Mullarkey.

Ringo and Stephenson were way worse.

Rauch
Johnson
Stephenson
Ringo
Bullough
Williams
Mullarkey
Ramsey
Wade
Collier
Knox
Saban
Levy

Historian
06-13-2005, 09:04 AM
Knox was way better than Collier or Mullarkey.

I agree with that. He cut his teeth with Weeb in the AFL. His Bills teams were pretty good in an era where Ralph simply didn't want to spend money.

Ringo and Stephenson were way worse.

Ringo was a HOF player, and a great line coach, but a terrible HC. I'll give Stevenson a bit of a pass, as he lost Kelly, Cribbs, and a host of others to the USFL. I used to love his line..."I saw a lot of character out there today." after every loss.

Rauch
Johnson
Stephenson
Ringo
Bullough
Williams
Mullarkey
Ramsey
Wade
Collier
Knox
Saban
Levy

This would be my list:

Johnson
Bullough
Williams
Rauch
Ringo
Pitts
Stephenson
Ramsey
Mullarkey (and climbing!)
Collier
Wade
Knox
Saban
Levy

Earthquake Enyart
06-13-2005, 09:12 AM
I vividly remember going to a Raider game in the Stephenson era. Before the game, Al Davis would stalk the field as the players were warming up. Stephenson tried to look tough, standing at the 50 with his arms crossed as Davis walked by... It was silly.

The Bills were way down, then right at the end, they blocked a punt and ran it in, the next KO, the Raider dropped it and the BIlls got another quick TD... They scored 2 or 3 TD's in about 1 minute to tie it up. Then the Raiders drove it down the field to get the FG to win as time expired. :ill:

Historian
06-13-2005, 09:34 AM
I was there, EE.

November 20, 1983.

Raiders 27
Bills 24

The Bills were 7-4 going into that game, then lost to the Raiders, Rams, 49ers and Falcons to finish out of the hunt at 8-8.

djjimkelly
06-13-2005, 09:36 AM
i think wade was a pretty solid coach if not for the fluite RJ fiasco he might have stayed our coach for a long time

Jan Reimers
06-13-2005, 10:07 AM
I loved Jim Ringo as a player - he was one of the best ever to come out of Syracuse - but I'd rank him down with Johnson, Bulloch and Ramsey on the ineptitude scale. Roush was one of those guys who was so clever that he outsmarted himself in his use of OJ.

TigerJ
06-13-2005, 10:20 AM
I agree with that. He cut his teeth with Weeb in the AFL. His Bills teams were pretty good in an era where Ralph simply didn't want to spend money.

Ringo was a HOF player, and a great line coach, but a terrible HC. I'll give Stevenson a bit of a pass, as he lost Kelly, Cribbs, and a host of others to the USFL. I used to love his line..."I saw a lot of character out there today." after every loss.

This would be my list:

Johnson
Bullough
Williams
Rauch
Ringo
Pitts
Stephenson
Ramsey
Mullarkey (and climbing!)
Collier
Wade
Knox
Saban
Levy

I see you list a "Pitts." I assume you mean Elijah Pitts. When did he serve as a head coach. I checked through the Chrionological history pretty closely on the official site and didn't see him listed as a head coach. Did he coach a couple games when Levy was out for health reasons?

Historian
06-13-2005, 10:56 AM
I see you list a "Pitts." I assume you mean Elijah Pitts. When did he serve as a head coach. I checked through the Chrionological history pretty closely on the official site and didn't see him listed as a head coach. Did he coach a couple games when Levy was out for health reasons?

Yes. While Levy was having his prostrate surgery.

He was interim head coach on:

10/23/95 at New England (L) 14-27
10/29/95 at Miami (L) 6-23
11/5/95 Indianapolis (W) 16-10

Marv returned on 11/12/95 at home against Atlanta

Historian
06-13-2005, 11:00 AM
I loved Jim Ringo as a player - he was one of the best ever to come out of Syracuse - but I'd rank him down with Johnson, Bulloch and Ramsey on the ineptitude scale.

As a head coach, yea, he clearly wasn't cut out to be the head man.

As an offensive line coach, he may well be the best ever at the position.

He built and coached The Electric Company.

The_Philster
06-13-2005, 04:53 PM
Yes. While Levy was having his prostrate surgery. He was interim head coach on: 10/23/95 at New England (L) 14-27 10/29/95 at Miami (L) 6-23 11/5/95 Indianapolis (W) 16-10 Marv returned on 11/12/95 at home against AtlantaAndre was out all 3 of those games and Thurman went out early in the Pats game...Jimbo didn't have a lot to work with...I just watched those 3 games last weekend