X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • camelcowboy
    • Mar 2005

Best and Worst Moves of the Tom Donahue Era

Its been about five years since TD has taken over after John Butler, and he has made alot of changes. Many Good, many Bad.

Here's my opinion feel free to chime in with yours.

His best move: Signing Spikes-TD picked up Spikes at the best possible time. The offense was strong, and we needed defensive help. He was a great player on a team that no one watched at the time. He came to Buffalo and got the spot light he needed, and was able to take his game to the next level.

Worst move: Greg Williams- Do i need to say more?

• EDS
    • Jan 2003

I agree on both.

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

His worst move was taking a passing offense away from a passing QB.

His best move was dealing Peerless Price.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• pleasesavedrew
        • Feb 2005

Best Moves: Drafting Mcgahee, Henry, Clements, Schobel, and Lee Evans. Signing Spikes, Adams, Miloy, and Flethcer are also great moves. Tradin price was great too. Finding Moorman in a sea of horrible play in NFL Europe.

Worst: Cuttin Bledsoe, Cuttin Flutie and Keepin Johnson, Gregg Williams was also a mess.
        Remember the past(11), embrace the future(7)

Comment

• pleasesavedrew
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by MBBedard
          His worst move was taking a passing offense away from a passing QB.

His best move was dealing Peerless Price.
          Couldnt be more right, he hung bledsoe out to dry by lettin Centers and Reimersma go.
          Remember the past(11), embrace the future(7)

Comment

• casdhf
            • Jul 2002

I think one of the best moves was completely gutting the team when he came in. I was pissed at the time, but piecing together a team woulda been worse...especially where we are now
            Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
            cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• camelcowboy
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by casdhf
              I think one of the best moves was completely gutting the team when he came in. I was pissed at the time, but piecing together a team woulda been worse...especially where we are now
              I remeber when he had to choose between Moulds, and Wiley, and i really wanted them both. He clearly mad the right decision their.

I still think that they should of draft Bryant Mckinny over Mike Williams. We are paying too much money for a right tackle, who appears like he will never play left tackle. Mckinny is atleast a starter at right tackle.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

If McGahee's knee holds up, that will clearly be his best move. Losman could also make him look like a genius.

Worst move was not firing Williams and Gilbride halfway through '03.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Historian
                  2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                  • Dec 2002

Even considering a low-life worthless POS like Gregg Williams to be the Head Coach of this magnificent organization will always be a blemish on TDs record, IMO, even if we win a Super Bowl.

Most of his other moves have or are panning out. Pick one. I especially thought getting a pick for Price who was leaving anyways, was genius.

Comment

• ryjam282
                    Offical Billszone Starting QB
                    • Mar 2003

I think the best move was getting Spikes. I mean, he came in for a visit and wouldn't let him leave without a contract that he knew the Bengels wouldn't match. Who knows where TKO would have ended up if TD let him leave that day without a contract.

Worst move, hiring Kevin Gilbride. He was absolutely atrocious.

Ryan Withey
                    Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• djjimkelly
                      • Apr 2003

tagging then trading price for what eventually became mcgahee might go down as one of the best draft day moves ever. worst move was trading a 1st for bledsoe i know team was in shambles and so on and to look at that draft when we grabbed big mike both qbs where off the board actually thank god becuz i dont like harrington or carr. but he should have done something different about the qb position in his second year. there would be an extra 1st rounder on our team from the 2003 draft.

Comment

• EDS
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Billsology
                        Even considering a low-life worthless POS like Gregg Williams to be the Head Coach of this magnificent organization will always be a blemish on TDs record, IMO, even if we win a Super Bowl.

Most of his other moves have or are panning out. Pick one. I especially thought getting a pick for Price who was leaving anyways, was genius.
                        Well, Greg Williams is a heck of a coach so I can see what TD was thinking. How the guy can be such a good defensive coordinator and horrible head coach is beyond me. Probably his worst moves were in hiring an offensive staff - he does not know enough to pick the right people.

Comment

• Uncle Jesse
                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by pleasesavedrew
                          Best Moves: Drafting Mcgahee, Henry, Clements, Schobel, and Lee Evans. Signing Spikes, Adams, Miloy, and Flethcer are also great moves. Tradin price was great too. Finding Moorman in a sea of horrible play in NFL Europe.

Worst: Cuttin Bledsoe, Cuttin Flutie and Keepin Johnson, Gregg Williams was also a mess.
                          Couldnt agree more!

Comment

• Bert102176
                            • Aug 2002

best move was getting TKO but worst move, not getting us an OL
                            lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

• Marvelous
                              • Feb 2004

Most zoners hit it on the head. Kelsay was a great steal in the 2nd esp since some of us were content with him in the 1st
                              Mgee was a solid pickup even if he only makes nickel which imo he will be better then that.
                              -Last years udfa's
                              - Greg Williams was solid minus Gilbride & Bledsoe. Kinda like how JJ was stuck with washed up Marino.. IMO GW will be a good hc one day.
                              -Jerry Grey, Did TD bring him in?
                              -Modrak! Not sure what exactly his role is but from the bits here&there i've read TD calls on his input..
                              -As of now trading for JP. Assuming JP makes the cut. But it's too early.
                              -Astro play!
                              -Fixing Butlers(RIP) cap nightmare!!!!
                              -Playing hardball with Henry 7 teams trying to take advantage
                              -Schobel extension
                              -Ryan Neufeld- I liked his play late in the season.
                              - Damien Shelton is the ultimate Sam Gash prototype for our power running game...
                              -Ross Tucker is great depth G or C
                              -Smooth deal with The Postons with Milloy contract. Odd with all the problems they cause teams, our deal went smooth.
                              -Posey- kinda hard for fans to call him out. As much as we want to because he lacks primetime stats.

Some neggs-
                              -Trading up for Denney. Not what we/he had hoped..I like Denney as depth and hope we can keep him. He makes the most of part time play and seems better fitted for that role imo..

-Verdict is still out on Troy Vincent. He makes alot for a FS. I'm A-ok if he plays FS like he is poised to do but if he's onluy average then 3 mill is too much...

*All in all im very glad we have TD on our side...

-Keeping Drew 1 year too long!
                              -
                              GO BILLS!!! NE
                              Magical Trevor

Comment

Working...
                              X