PDA

View Full Version : Pectin and Jell-O

RedEyE
06-13-2005, 08:19 PM
So we all know that you cannot make Jell-O without pectin, the product that causes the liquid to gel when cooled. I just found out that pectin is some how extracted from animals.

So..... What exactly is pectin and can vegetarians enjoy Jell-O?

LtBillsFan66
06-13-2005, 08:27 PM
Isn't it ground up horse hooves or something?

L.A. Playa
06-13-2005, 08:27 PM
Pectin is a "gum" found naturally in fruits that causes. jelly to gel. Tart apples, crab apples, sour plums, Concord ... grapes, quinces, gooseberries, red currants and cranberries. are especially high in pectin

L.A. Playa
06-13-2005, 08:32 PM
Im sure PETA would have been all over Jello if an ingredint had come from animals

BlackMetalNinja
06-13-2005, 09:13 PM
As a person who had friends that were vegetarians, true vegans will not eat things containing gelatin. I do believe horse hooves fall into the equation actually. All I know for sure is that you can't offer a vegan Skittles cause they get mad and tell you no!

Bill Brasky
06-13-2005, 09:27 PM
As a person who had friends that were vegetarians, true vegans will not eat things containing gelatin. I do believe horse hooves fall into the equation actually. All I know for sure is that you can't offer a vegan Skittles cause they get mad and tell you no!

hahahahaha hippies

RedEyE
06-14-2005, 11:28 AM
Isn't it ground up horse hooves or something?

Horse hooves? That's friggin' gross.

RedEyE
06-14-2005, 11:29 AM
Pectin is a "gum" found naturally in fruits that causes. jelly to gel. Tart apples, crab apples, sour plums, Concord ... grapes, quinces, gooseberries, red currants and cranberries. are especially high in pectin

Yeah right. It's obviously made from hooves.

EricStratton
06-14-2005, 11:33 AM
Pectin is made from citrus peels and the pulp of overripe fruit.

Unless jello uses something different the pectin in it has no animal products.

RedEyE
06-14-2005, 11:36 AM
Then what's gelatin made from?

Dora The Explorer
06-14-2005, 11:39 AM
some jello does not contains gelatin made out of animal boiled bones.

Forward_Lateral
06-14-2005, 12:45 PM
Pectin is made from horse semen. :snicker:

Mad Bomber
06-14-2005, 01:12 PM
Then what's gelatin made from?
It's usually made by boiling animal bones, skin, hides and tendons to extract the protein collagen.

Mad Bomber
06-14-2005, 01:15 PM
So we all know that you cannot make Jell-O without pectin, the product that causes the liquid to gel when cooled. I just found out that pectin is some how extracted from animals.

So..... What exactly is pectin and can vegetarians enjoy Jell-O?
Pectin is a complex carbohydrate found in fruits and vegetables. It's not an animal-sourced material.

I would think that vegans and strict vegetarians would avoid Jell-O.

RedEyE
06-14-2005, 05:40 PM
It's usually made by boiling animal bones, skin, hides and tendons to extract the protein collagen.

Thats some sick S!

RedEyE
06-14-2005, 05:40 PM
Pectin is made from horse semen. :snicker:

:rofl: