PDA

View Full Version : What an awsome weekend

Aero II
08-05-2002, 02:26 PM
My fiancé and I flew out of Orlando on Friday afternoon bound for our connecting flight in Detroit to Canton. Canton’s airport can’t handle large planes, so our second flight was on a 33 seat Saab SF3 . As I approached the gate to board, I noticed a familiar face from the great Bills teams of the 90’s. Bruce Smith was waiting to see if there were any seats left on this over-booked flight. As I waited to board whom else should come to the gate for the same flight, but Fred Smerlas. Both men and their wives made the flight. The whole weekend at the HOF was a blast. Everyone knows all about the festivities and how there wasn’t a dry eye at the end of Jim’s speech so I won’t go into too much more, just repeating what everyone already knows.
On the trip out of Canton Sunday evening, once again I was surprised to see that Freddie was on my flight to Detroit. He approached me at the airport and asked how my weekend was and we had a nice little conversation. After boarding the plane, seeing that I had a Bills shirt on, the co-pilot asked how the induction ceremony was and commented on how moving Jim’s words were. To top off my weekend, Freddie ended up sitting across the aisle from me and we talked for the next hour and a half until we finally got to Detroit. Due to delays the four of us briskly walked from Concourse-C to Concourse-A looking for our gates. When it was time to part Fred turned to me to shake my hand and wish me luck with my upcoming wedding. I couldn’t have asked for better weekend.
What a blast.
By the way, Philster, you were right. The wings at The Stables were great.

Patrick76777
08-05-2002, 02:28 PM
Great story very cool

The_Philster
08-05-2002, 02:36 PM
Glad you had a blast Aero II. It must have been a trip to get to talk to Freddie...that guy's still an animal :lol: I've talked to BRUCE before, as well as Tasker, Metzelaars, and Thurman along with others but the only one I got a chance to talk to this time was good old #90 Phil Hansen...rather than ask for an autograph I just thanked him for the career he had....while Helmet Guy tried to talk him out of retirement. :lol:
As far as the Stables, I loved the wings as well...along with the Chocolate Mousse cake :hungry:
It's a shame that Spielman doesn't own it anymore.

Valerie
08-05-2002, 02:42 PM
What a nice story, Aero. :) It's always nice to hear how friendly the players are.

BTW, congratulations on your upcoming wedding. When is it?

Dozerdog
08-05-2002, 02:45 PM
Why wasn't Bruce in Japan with the Redskins?

Valerie
08-05-2002, 02:52 PM
Good question, Dozer. I never even thought of it. Maybe he'd rather be with the Bills. lol

The_Philster
08-05-2002, 02:53 PM
Because Spurrier, Snyder, and Lewis let him go to Kelly's induction. They knew where his heart would be and it's BRUCE...he doesn't need alot of preseason to get ready. It would have been nice if Marty had done the same thing last year.

Earthquake Enyart
08-05-2002, 02:54 PM
I saw Pete Metzelaars barf on the field in college. Down on all 4's puking his guts out.

The_Philster
08-05-2002, 02:58 PM
No wonder he and Kelly got along so well :lol: c...I keep wondering if Kelly puked before the flag football game at UB a few weeks ago

Dozerdog
08-05-2002, 03:05 PM
I had a similar thing happen to me 10 years ago-

Got a call that my dad had a heart attack at 11 PM at night- caught the 6 am flight from Hartford to Buffalo.

The plane was empty- 25 passengers maybe out of 125?
But i had a seat across the aisle from the big readhead- Jim Schoenfield. He was doing ESPN NHL tonight commentary.

I brought up the story of when he was a rookie, he went to the Buffalo Curling club (there used to be one on Sheridan drive) and Curled with my dad. He didn't remember my dad, but remembered that day.

Pops recovered, & Jim Schoenfield was named coach of the Capitals a week or two later.

FlownTheCoop
08-05-2002, 03:12 PM
One time a few years back, I was flying from Buffalo to Washington, and because the flight was overbooked, I got bumped up to first class - and who was next to me but Jack Kemp, who was still a congressman at the time.

That was definitely a fun trip to take...

Aero II
08-05-2002, 03:18 PM
Jaded, we are looking at next April for the wedding date. Thinking that the 19th would be perfect, using Good Friday as a travel day for family, we found out that no church will perform a Wedding Ceremony during Easter Weekend, so we are still weighing our options.

Regarding Bruce, I mentioned to Fred that I thought that he would be with his teammates in Japan and he said, "Skinny never used to practice, what makes you think he'll fly all the way over there just to watch."
Fred is a trip.

Valerie
08-05-2002, 03:21 PM
Aero, it's tough during Holy week because it's such a religious time in the church. Good luck! :)

I sat next to Keion Carpenter's mom last December when I went up for a game. Not too exciting huh? My Dad sat next to Scott Hamilton and Brian Boytano once.

Michael82
08-05-2002, 04:17 PM
At my first AFL2 Rochester Brigade game last year, I sat behind Ray Bentley. I chatted with him during halftime and had a nice conversation. He's a pretty cool guy! Oh yeah, Mark Hamister, the owner of the team was in front of me, next to him! :D

JefftheBillsfan
08-05-2002, 04:21 PM
Great story...i may not be Fred Smerlas...but I too wish you good luck for your wedding.

Aero II
08-05-2002, 09:09 PM
Thanks a bunch Jeff.

lordofgun
08-05-2002, 09:23 PM
Great story Aero! Hope your wedding goes well!