PDA

View Full Version : New Foo Fighters!!!

The King
06-14-2005, 01:28 PM
:xtreme::band:

OpIv37
06-14-2005, 01:32 PM
I haven't listened to Foo Fighters since their first album, which kicked ass- I need to find my copy.

THATHURMANATOR
06-14-2005, 01:37 PM
I love the best!

The King
06-14-2005, 02:32 PM
There is a song called "last song".... ****ing rules!!!

THATHURMANATOR
06-14-2005, 02:33 PM
I am going to get it on break.

The King
06-14-2005, 02:37 PM
best buy has it for 10 bucks. Its a double disk. and its burn proof. I tunes wouldnt even play the disk.

BAM
06-15-2005, 12:46 PM
I heard it was pretty damn sweet! I've only heard one song, but I'll definitely be picking it up!

THATHURMANATOR
06-15-2005, 12:48 PM
Got it and it is great.

The King
06-15-2005, 01:33 PM
How good is "last Song" Thurm? I like that an Razor alot

THATHURMANATOR
06-15-2005, 01:42 PM
I love it! I am pumped it is a double cd!

The King
06-15-2005, 01:49 PM
I dont think its their best album but they certainly kick ass.

THATHURMANATOR
06-15-2005, 03:42 PM
I won't say if it was their best or worst yet. I need to listen to it a couple times.

BAM
06-16-2005, 12:44 PM
Well I picked this up last night... so far I really am not too impressed.

I actually took it out to listen to the new System of a Down CD instead...

I'll give it some more listens though.

BAM
06-16-2005, 12:47 PM
I don't think he'll ever be able to top their first CD... now there was a good album!

The King
06-16-2005, 12:57 PM
BAM Colour and the Shape was their best if you ask me. It took a few listens before I dove into the rock disk. The acoustic has its time and its place. I was def rocking out on my way to work though.

THATHURMANATOR
06-16-2005, 01:04 PM
Well I picked this up last night... so far I really am not too impressed.

I actually took it out to listen to the new System of a Down CD instead...

I'll give it some more listens though.
I like the rock disk much better so far. I gotta pick up the System of a down CD>

BAM
06-16-2005, 01:09 PM
BAM Colour and the Shape was their best if you ask me. It took a few listens before I dove into the rock disk. The acoustic has its time and its place. I was def rocking out on my way to work though.

Hell yah that one was good too! I still like the 1st one better though.

BAM
06-16-2005, 01:10 PM
I like the rock disk much better so far. I gotta pick up the System of a down CD>

You definitely won't be disappointed. There are some crazy beats on this one... the drummer is F'in nuts!

The King
06-16-2005, 01:38 PM
System of a :down: not a fan.

That Guy
06-16-2005, 01:53 PM
I think The Coulour and the Shape has to be their best album by default, just because of the fact that it has their three best songs. I may or may not pick up the new CD, as Dave Grohl really hasn't proven to me that he remembers how to write a great song this decade (barring maybe a few high points on their 3rd CD).

BAM
06-16-2005, 02:20 PM
Dave Grohl really hasn't proven to me that he remembers how to write a great song this decade (barring maybe a few high points on their 3rd CD).

I definitely agree with you there...

The King
06-16-2005, 02:20 PM
Times like These? All My Life? Aurora? Learn to Fly? Stacked Actors? Next Year? Not only does Dave write great songs I dont think he even has competition.

That Guy
06-16-2005, 02:22 PM
Times like These? All My Life? Aurora? Learn to Fly? Stacked Actors? Next Year? Not only does Dave write great songs I dont think he even has competition.
Personally I didn't really care for the first four of those songs. I'd consider Stacked Actors and a few others as the couple highpoints..

The King
06-16-2005, 02:25 PM
To each his own I guess. I think Times like These is brilliant. I also like both their anchor songs from the last 2 albums Comeback and MIA. But being a drummer I usually dig drum heavy songs.

BAM
06-16-2005, 02:26 PM
I dont think he even has competition.

I can think of two or three off the top of my head that outclass him in songwriting skills by far:

Maynard James Keenan
Steve Wilson
Chris Cornell

(IMO of course)

The King
06-16-2005, 03:04 PM
I can think of two or three off the top of my head that outclass him in songwriting skills by far:

Maynard James Keenan
Steve Wilson
Chris Cornell

(IMO of course)

I think one this yuor missing out on is the contribution made. Grohl is writing both guitar parts vocals and drums on most tracks. You cant tell me Cornell has that same influence on RAGE. Tom Morello is his own genius he is just as much a part of audioslave as cornell is, if not more. And I havent listened to TOOL in years so Ill refrain from comment.

BAM
06-16-2005, 03:21 PM
Yah there are a lot more, those are just the three that popped into my head at first. Idunno maybe his stuff just got too mainstream for me.

The King
06-16-2005, 03:23 PM
Good Music is Good Music I dont care which stream it is.

THATHURMANATOR
06-16-2005, 03:46 PM
I agree Beddard. What is mainstream?

BAM
06-16-2005, 04:05 PM
I agree with that too.

To me, mainstream is when you are a spitting image of another band, sound the same as another band. There are so many out there right now that sound identical to each other, it's hard to tell them apart. Foo isn't 100% there yet, but they are closing in on it, IMO.

Nothing will ever compare to the originality & creativity of the 60's - 70's. Greatest era for music. I am ashamed at what the current industry has become for the most part.

THATHURMANATOR
06-16-2005, 04:06 PM
I agree with that too.

To me, mainstream is when you are a spitting image of another band, sound the same as another band. There are so many out there right now that sound identical to each other, it's hard to tell them apart. Foo isn't 100% there yet, but they are closing in on it, IMO.

Nothing will ever compare to the originality & creativity of the 60's - 70's. Greatest era for music. I am ashamed at what the current industry has become for the most part.
Are they sounding like other bands or are other bands sounding like them?

THATHURMANATOR
06-16-2005, 04:11 PM
I am not talking about 60 or 70s bands. Just todays bands.

The King
06-16-2005, 04:13 PM
I agree with that too.

I wont argue that BAM you're right. There will never be another Zeppelin. That being said I can think of only a few bands that have been able to re-invent rock music while still paying tribute to the artists that inspired them.

For me it has come down to pretty much the Peppers and the Foo. I cant tell you another band that has come out during our time and still produces good rock music. Yea there have been a ton of flash in the pan type talents, that leave a mark and fade out. But to me the Peppers and the Foo are alone. Consistantly creating great rock music.

pjw
06-16-2005, 04:17 PM
what about metallica? their last alblum except for the garbage can drums was good.
if they redid the drum tracks it would be really awesome.

The King
06-16-2005, 04:19 PM
I dont classify Metalica as rock. But Kirk has deffenly carried that band of his back for a decade.

pjw
06-16-2005, 04:23 PM
I dont classify Metalica as rock. But Kirk has deffenly carried that band of his back for a decade.me neither didnt know it was just a rock conversation, i didnt read the whole thread just the last couple, my bad.
Have you seen somoe kind of monster, it seems like kirk had little or no say in what they would do, it was all lars and james. but supposedly that changed for st. anger and it was a much better album except for the damn drums, it sounds like lars is playing garbage cans, and it pisses me off!

The King
06-16-2005, 04:25 PM
Het and Lars will always be the front for that band. But Het's vocals and Lars drums are nothing special. It was because of those guitar solos and the rythmic changes in the 80's that Metalica even has a career now.

pjw
06-16-2005, 04:27 PM
Het and Lars will always be the front for that band. But Het's vocals and Lars drums are nothing special. It was because of those guitar solos and the rythmic changes in the 80's that Metalica even has a career now.your so right, i love the guitar riffs that they make.
they are by far my favorite band megadeth is a second.

That Guy
06-16-2005, 08:21 PM
My problem with the Foo's is that most songs they've released lately have been hard rockers without substance (to me). This new radio song and All My Life both come out hard and rocking... but there's no catchy chorus, no real defined verses... basically nothing that catches me. Some decent musicianship, Dave's vocals don't have that much range probably since he is a drummer... I guess my tastes have shifted from radio rock over the last few years, but I still love Everlong, My Hero, Hey Johnny Park, This is a Call etc... maybe those are weighty expectations.

Mad Bomber
06-16-2005, 09:30 PM
BAM - you hit it on the head there.

My son is an awesome guitarist, and I'm turning him on to the 60s -70s music, and he's eating it up.

Hendrix, EARLY Zeppelin, early Clapton, Big Brother and the Holding Company (good acid rock), Pink Floyd, Yes, etc.

Then some of the later stuff...Stevie Ray Vaughan, early Metallica, Rush, early Aerosmith...

He eats that stuff up and learns to play it.

When I was a teenager there was a real generation gap between what I listened to and what my parents did. Now, I turn my son onto the music I listened to when I was growing up (see above). Doesn't get any better than that!