PDA

View Full Version : How bad was the '99 QB class

Bill Brasky
06-14-2005, 02:24 PM
Smith appeared in just 22 games in career
Associated Press

TAMPA, Fla. -- Akili Smith was released Monday by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the latest NFL team to part ways with the quarterback who was the third overall pick in the 1999 NFL draft.

Smith was only with the Buccaneers after the team agreed to sign him so he could participate with an NFL Europe team, the Frankfurt Galaxy, this summer. The Galaxy's season ended on June 4, and Smith returned to Tampa for last week's mini-camp.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2084346

That leaves just Culpepper and McNabb as the only 2 still in the NFL.

Bulldog
06-14-2005, 02:26 PM
I was reading that today and thought the same thing.

Pride
06-14-2005, 02:27 PM
It could have been that bad having 2 of the QB's play into Late January last year.

Crisis
06-14-2005, 02:38 PM
That QB class wasn't bad, it was OK.

3 busts and 2 SUPERSTAR QBs pretty much evens out.

Earthquake Enyart
06-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Boy, did Cade McNown blow.

Ed
06-14-2005, 04:00 PM
I love how the big debate that year was if the Browns should take Tim Couch or Akili Smith. That's gotta hurt knowing you could of had McNabb or Culpepper.

The funniest part of that draft though, is still all the Eagle fans throwing a fit when they picked McNabb instead of Ricky Williams.

Voltron
06-14-2005, 04:57 PM
I love how the big debate that year was if the Browns should take Tim Couch or Akili Smith. That's gotta hurt knowing you could of had McNabb or Culpepper.

The funniest part of that draft though, is still all the Eagle fans throwing a fit when they picked McNabb instead of Ricky Williams.
I KNOW! Being from the Syracuse area I was very pissed when that happened! It was one of the most classless things I have ever seen, but really how many fans of any Philly team have much class? :idunno:

THATHURMANATOR
06-14-2005, 05:20 PM
I would say it is a great class because Mcnabb and Culpepper are top 5 qbs.

Ed
06-14-2005, 08:07 PM
I would say it is a great class because Mcnabb and Culpepper are top 5 qbs.
yeah, it didn't live up to the hype, but it's still a good class.

At the time people were making comparisons to it possibly being as good as the 83 class, but there's no chance of that now.

Jan Reimers
06-15-2005, 06:27 AM
I KNOW! Being from the Syracuse area I was very pissed when that happened! It was one of the most classless things I have ever seen, but really how many fans of any Philly team have much class? :idunno:
I agree. I had season tix for all four of McNabb's seasons at Syracuse. When I saw the reaction of the Eagles' fans, all I thought was, "You're going to love this guy in a few years."

And how about being the Bengals' guy responsible for picking Smith over McNabb?

kbeath
06-15-2005, 10:44 AM
Dont get it wrong I like both QBs but neither of your "superstars" have superbowl rings. They both seem to choke when it matters the most. They have strong arms but metally they can definatly improve.I still dont know why Akili didnt workout, the guy has all the tools and just sucks. It really baffles me. Culpepper will have to re prove himself since Moss could make alot of QBs look better than they are.

kbeath
06-15-2005, 10:45 AM
Dont get it wrong I like both QBs but neither of your "superstars" have superbowl rings. They both seem to choke when it matters the most. They have strong arms but metally they can definatly improve.I still dont know why Akili didnt workout, the guy has all the tools and just sucks. It really baffles me. Culpepper will have to re prove himself since Moss could make alot of QBs look better than they are.

EM Bills Fan 80
06-15-2005, 02:16 PM

Jim Kelly and Dan Marino never won a ring either, and look how long it took Elway to get one

Ed
06-15-2005, 03:51 PM
And how about being the Bengals' guy responsible for picking Smith over McNabb?
Actually I believe McNabb was the #2 overall pick. The Bengals picked 3rd so they didn't have a shot at McNabb. However, they could have picked anyone other then Akili Smith and done better. It was the Browns who missed out on McNabb when they chose Tim Couch.

Bill Brasky
06-15-2005, 07:28 PM
I agree. I had season tix for all four of McNabb's seasons at Syracuse. When I saw the reaction of the Eagles' fans, all I thought was, "You're going to love this guy in a few years."

I thought it was nuts the way the Philly fans reacted, but I wasn't surprised. They'd boo their own mothers if their food wasn't cooked right.

I spent 4 years of college w/a roomate who was from Philly, and I lost even more respect for "Igles" fans... they're dumb.

The_Philster
06-15-2005, 07:29 PM
They showed how little they knew about their own team..they had Duce Staley coming off a good year...yet they wanted a RB with the 2nd overall pick? :crazy:

Bill Brasky
06-15-2005, 07:54 PM
They showed how little they knew about their own team..they had Duce Staley coming off a good year...yet they wanted a RB with the 2nd overall pick? :crazy:

Yeah, cuz the Bills have never done the same thing

The_Philster
06-15-2005, 08:00 PM
Yeah, cuz the Bills have never done the same thingApples and Oranges ...That wasn't 2nd overall with a pick available that clearly fitted our needs better

Kerr
06-16-2005, 12:26 PM
I'd like to see how good culpepper is without randy moss.