• Show
Clear All
  • Bill Brasky
    Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
    • Jan 2004

How bad was the '99 QB class

Smith appeared in just 22 games in career
    Associated Press

TAMPA, Fla. -- Akili Smith was released Monday by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the latest NFL team to part ways with the quarterback who was the third overall pick in the 1999 NFL draft.

Smith was only with the Buccaneers after the team agreed to sign him so he could participate with an NFL Europe team, the Frankfurt Galaxy, this summer. The Galaxy's season ended on June 4, and Smith returned to Tampa for last week's mini-camp.

Akili Smith was released Monday by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the latest NFL team to part ways with the quarterback who was the third overall pick in the 1999 NFL draft.

That leaves just Culpepper and McNabb as the only 2 still in the NFL.
  • Bulldog
    Top Dog
    • Jan 2003

I was reading that today and thought the same thing.
    I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• Pride
      • Jul 2002

It could have been that bad having 2 of the QB's play into Late January last year.

Comment

• Crisis
        • Aug 2004

That QB class wasn't bad, it was OK.

3 busts and 2 SUPERSTAR QBs pretty much evens out.
        Originally posted by LOSman WINS
        Vanek is Austrian not European
        Originally posted by Prov401
        Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
        Originally posted by better days
        I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
          Legendary Zoner
          • Jul 2002

Boy, did Cade McNown blow.

Comment

• Ed
            Dude
            • Sep 2002

I love how the big debate that year was if the Browns should take Tim Couch or Akili Smith. That's gotta hurt knowing you could of had McNabb or Culpepper.

The funniest part of that draft though, is still all the Eagle fans throwing a fit when they picked McNabb instead of Ricky Williams.

Comment

• Voltron
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ed
              I love how the big debate that year was if the Browns should take Tim Couch or Akili Smith. That's gotta hurt knowing you could of had McNabb or Culpepper.

The funniest part of that draft though, is still all the Eagle fans throwing a fit when they picked McNabb instead of Ricky Williams.
              I KNOW! Being from the Syracuse area I was very pissed when that happened! It was one of the most classless things I have ever seen, but really how many fans of any Philly team have much class?
              Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything.
              - Frank Dane

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
              -Thomas Jefferson

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
              - Mark Twain

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                • Jul 2002

I would say it is a great class because Mcnabb and Culpepper are top 5 qbs.

Comment

• Ed
                  Dude
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                  I would say it is a great class because Mcnabb and Culpepper are top 5 qbs.
                  yeah, it didn't live up to the hype, but it's still a good class.

At the time people were making comparisons to it possibly being as good as the 83 class, but there's no chance of that now.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                    • May 2003

Originally posted by Voltron
                    I KNOW! Being from the Syracuse area I was very pissed when that happened! It was one of the most classless things I have ever seen, but really how many fans of any Philly team have much class?
                    I agree. I had season tix for all four of McNabb's seasons at Syracuse. When I saw the reaction of the Eagles' fans, all I thought was, "You're going to love this guy in a few years."

And how about being the Bengals' guy responsible for picking Smith over McNabb?
                    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• kbeath
                      • May 2005

Dont get it wrong I like both QBs but neither of your "superstars" have superbowl rings. They both seem to choke when it matters the most. They have strong arms but metally they can definatly improve.I still dont know why Akili didnt workout, the guy has all the tools and just sucks. It really baffles me. Culpepper will have to re prove himself since Moss could make alot of QBs look better than they are.

Comment

• kbeath
                        • May 2005

Dont get it wrong I like both QBs but neither of your "superstars" have superbowl rings. They both seem to choke when it matters the most. They have strong arms but metally they can definatly improve.I still dont know why Akili didnt workout, the guy has all the tools and just sucks. It really baffles me. Culpepper will have to re prove himself since Moss could make alot of QBs look better than they are.

Comment

• EM Bills Fan 80
                          Let's Go Buffalo!
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by kbeath
                          Jim Kelly and Dan Marino never won a ring either, and look how long it took Elway to get one

Comment

• Ed
                            Dude
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                            And how about being the Bengals' guy responsible for picking Smith over McNabb?
                            Actually I believe McNabb was the #2 overall pick. The Bengals picked 3rd so they didn't have a shot at McNabb. However, they could have picked anyone other then Akili Smith and done better. It was the Browns who missed out on McNabb when they chose Tim Couch.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                              Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                              I agree. I had season tix for all four of McNabb's seasons at Syracuse. When I saw the reaction of the Eagles' fans, all I thought was, "You're going to love this guy in a few years."
                              I thought it was nuts the way the Philly fans reacted, but I wasn't surprised. They'd boo their own mothers if their food wasn't cooked right.

I spent 4 years of college w/a roomate who was from Philly, and I lost even more respect for "Igles" fans... they're dumb.

Comment

Working...
                              X