PDA

View Full Version : Boom! Madden to NBC `Sunday Night Football`

Mr. Cynical
06-15-2005, 11:19 AM
Boom! Madden to NBC `Sunday Night Football`

June 15, 2005 11:53:20 (ET)

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) - NBC said Thursday that it has hired veteran football announcer and former NFL head coach John Madden to provide color commentary on the network's "Sunday Night Football" broadcast beginning in fall 2006.

Madden, who has spent the past few seasons in the "Monday Night Football" booth on ABC, signed a six-year deal with NBC.

"I have been doing this a long time and when I went to ABC to do 'Monday Night Football,' I thought I would finish my career there," Madden said in a statement. "But when the NFL did this new television deal, I looked at 'NBC's Sunday Night Football' package, and I thought this really fits me well."

In April, NBC forged an agreement with the NFL to take over Sunday evening football telecasts from ESPN in 2006, under a $600 million deal that will run through 2011.

The network, which hasn't broadcast NFL games since 1998, will broadcast 16 NFL games per year, the season-opening Thursday night game, two postseason Wild Card games and three preseason games. NBC will also have Super Bowl XLIII in 2009 and XLVI in 2012.

Also in the fall of 2006, "Monday Night Football" will move to ESPN after more than three decades on ABC.

Madden's move creates speculation about who will anchor ESPN's "MNF" telecasts. ESPN could, for example, use current "Sunday Night Football" announcers Mike Patrick, Joe Theismann and Paul McGuire, or pair long time "MNF" play-by-play man Al Michaels with someone from the Sunday program.

George Bodenheimer, president of ESPN and ABC Sports, said in April that ESPN might even decide to use an entirely different group of announcers.

Lone Stranger
06-15-2005, 11:45 AM
I'm not a Madden admirer; his move is ABC 's gain; not hard to replace him. I would like to see the ESPN group get the Monday night gig. Can't to any worse than their predecessors.

Mr. Cynical
06-15-2005, 11:52 AM
I'm with you - I used to like Madden 10+ years ago but he's lost it. He is like a broken record with "big ol' lineman" coming out of his mouth in every other sentence.

Al on the other hand is one of the best. Unless NBC scoops him up to pair him up again with Madden, they should keep him and pair him up with an ESPN person. The Three Amigos (Dan, Paul and Joe) aren't horrible (well, Joe is) but I don't see how you fit Dan or Paul with Al. I think they will poach an ESPN anchor TBD. There might even be a politically correct movement to get Linda Cohn or another female into the booth with him. You never know.

ShadowHawk7
06-15-2005, 11:53 AM
I hate McGuire and Theisman. I'd like to see Michaels and Patrick take over, if not, a totally new set of commentators.

Jayhawk
06-15-2005, 11:57 AM
but PAtrick is older than humanity and he's sick, so I'd let him go. Go Michaels and Kornheiser

OpIv37
06-15-2005, 12:13 PM
I can't stand Madden or any of the Three Amigos from Sunday Night Football. Madden has developed a knack for stating the obvious on every single play ("wow, if he didn't get tackled that would have been a touchdown", "this coach likes to get a lead then play ball control offense so the other team can't score" etc).

The SNF guys talk up any player that just made a play as if they're the best player in pro football at the moment. If a known star makes a play, it's something like "Brett Favre is still at the top of his game. He hasn't lost a step and he's absolutely amazing". If a lesser known player makes a play it's something like "Lee Evans has meant so much to this offense this year. He's a completely underrated player and a future Hall of Famer." I suppose all announcers do this to some degree, but the SNF guys are completely over the top with it.

SabreEleven
06-15-2005, 12:23 PM
Let's put Stuart Scott on the telecast so he can break out the ebonics every other statement :down: I hate when he does SportsCenter

Kal-El
06-15-2005, 12:31 PM
Mr. Madden peaked a long time ago, in my assessment. One would have hoped the folks at NBC could have searched for a new, fresh voice to bring insight into the game.

TedMock
06-15-2005, 12:52 PM
Go Michaels and Kornheiser

I like that idea. Kornheiser would be a great color guy.

Voltron
06-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Madden has developed a knack for stating the obvious on every single play ("wow, if he didn't get tackled that would have been a touchdown", "this coach likes to get a lead then play ball control offense so the other team can't score" etc).

I soooo agree. It seems to me like the guy has gotten so old all the brain cells with his really good football knowledge have been killed. I used to like him about 10 years ago but I didn't know nearly as much about football as I do now :idunno:

When I worked in Houston I worked with a guy who played for the Raiders the years that Madden coached and he said he was a very smart guy. I sure wish I knew what the hell happened

Mr. Cynical
06-15-2005, 05:38 PM
I soooo agree. It seems to me like the guy has gotten so old all the brain cells with his really good football knowledge have been killed. I used to like him about 10 years ago but I didn't know nearly as much about football as I do now :idunno:

When I worked in Houston I worked with a guy who played for the Raiders the years that Madden coached and he said he was a very smart guy. I sure wish I knew what the hell happened
I think it is because he's bored and is getting old. Some people age better than others in that respect, but I just don't think he gives a s**t anymore and just dials it in.

LVGrown
06-15-2005, 06:34 PM
All my issues with Madden stemmed from Madden '05! He really knows how to piss me off when i am having a bad moment playing his damn video game!

Erin

The_Philster
06-15-2005, 06:51 PM
I'm not a Madden admirer; his move is ABC 's gain; not hard to replace him. I would like to see the ESPN group get the Monday night gig. Can't to any worse than their predecessors.Keep in mind that ABC gains nothing..they won't even have football anymore...and the marquee game will eventually be the Sunday Night game...broadcast TV instead of cable network...and the ability to switch to higher profile matchups late in the season

pleasesavedrew
06-15-2005, 08:58 PM
I enjoy Madden's commentary. I just hope that Monday Night Football is not subjected to The sunday night crews one-sided commentary. Was it just me or was that entire crew, including McGwire, rooting for new england when they played us last year. They went on and on about how great brady is, not mentioning ANYthing about our team. if anyone has a tape of that game pop it in and im positive you'll agree with me.

sdbillsfan2
06-16-2005, 01:21 AM
Let's put Stuart Scott on the telecast so he can break out the ebonics every other statement :down: I hate when he does SportsCenter
Amen to that .....he gets on my nerves too!

Throne Logic
06-16-2005, 11:15 AM
I hate McGuire and Theisman. I'd like to see Michaels and Patrick take over, if not, a totally new set of commentators.

Wouldn't be much color, but the play-by-play would be well covered.

but PAtrick is older than humanity and he's sick, so I'd let him go. Go Michaels and Kornheiser

That's funny. He'd never do it.

I'd like to see Al stay on. I like Mike Patrick, but Al is better and they wouldn't co-exist well.

I don't care who does the color work, so long as they don't do any radical experimenting (refer to the Rush Limaugh and Dennis Miller debacles). I'd like to see someone who has both a strong knowledge of the game and a strong personality to match up with Al. I wouldn't mind a 3 man team, either. Al, Frank, & Dan are still my favorite overall booth team. ABC made a mistake breaking them up. Down hill ever since.

Mr. Cynical
06-16-2005, 06:24 PM
Al, Frank, & Dan are still my favorite overall booth team. ABC made a mistake breaking them up. Down hill ever since.
I think it was Frank's retirement that started the carousel and eventual break up. But I agree, I hope they don't experiment with some non-sports related person. And I agree a 3 person team is more dynamic - play caller, color guy and an ex-player/coach for inside/first hand knowledge.

Crisis
06-16-2005, 07:05 PM
I think if Madden is commenting on the new sunday night games it'll be dark out when he comments and it'll be broadcasted on NBC. BOOM!