Vic Carucci on the problem the Bills face trying to trade Henry...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ickybaluky
    • Jul 2003

Vic Carucci on the problem the Bills face trying to trade Henry...

Vic addresses the reason's the Bills' have had trouble getting good value for Henry in his latest mailbag:

What's the deal with Travis Henry? After consecutive 1,000-yard seasons, there appears not to be too much interest in him. It would seem he's worth more than a third-round pick, but there are no takers. Why?
    -- Ra

I think there is interest in Henry, but not the sort that would allow the Buffalo Bills to receive a third-round pick or higher for him. There are two main factors working against the Bills and Henry.

One is that, given Henry's predictable angry response to being replaced by Willis McGahee as a starter last season, he is a headache for the Bills. No team is going to pay a premium, or even a semi-premium price, for another team's headache. Henry wants out, he is likely to become a locker-room cancer if he stays, and any team that might have an interest in acquiring him is going to wait for the Bills to release him -- provided they don't make a deal first.

Another reason the Bills are unlikely to get a good price for Henry is that several teams were able to address their need at running back from a draft that had an abundance of highly talented players at the position. Also, at least one other veteran running back with a higher profile, Shaun Alexander, is available. And there is a possibility that if Ricky Williams does the expected and rejoins the Miami Dolphins, he, too, could end up on the trade market.
  • Historian
    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
    • Dec 2002

Lost in all of that, is the fact that some team would get a real good value if they traded for him. He's not terribly bright, but he's a warrior who always gave it his all out on the field...most of the time while playing injured.

Shawn Alexander has some talent, yes, but I don't think he's much better than Henry.

And Ricky Williams has no absolutely no heart. I can't believe anyone outside the arena league would even consider him.

Comment

• RedEyE
      • Jul 2002

Henry should have just kept his mouth shut and sucked it up as the back up for a couple of years. Carucci is right, Henry is now deemed as a headache. If he would have continued as a team player he might have earned his starting role back from McGahee. RBs come and go from this league every year. I hope it doens't happen, but what's to say that Willis doesn't find another season ending injury, or career ending for that matter.

Had he continued to play I'm certain that he waould have accrued enough interest theend of next season. Now, wherever he goes, his chances of starting are just as remote as staying in Buffalo.

If he really wanted to stick it to Buffalo for all the "hardship" that he endured, he should have remained silent played out his contract and sign elsewhere when the Bills need him most.

Comment

• Marvelous
        • Feb 2004

The sooner he is dealt the better. Between me & my wife we have 3 Henry jerseys, a signed plaque, and two personalized signed mini helmets from Jacksonville last year. So i was a big fan but it's time to move on.. If only he woulda watched some Kennith Davis/Thurman tapes.
        The sooner we can move on the better........
        GO BILLS!!! NE
        Magical Trevor

Comment

• HAMMER
          I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Darth Krumrie
          The sooner he is dealt the better. Between me & my wife we have 3 Henry jerseys, a signed plaque, and two personalized signed mini helmets from Jacksonville last year. So i was a big fan but it's time to move on.. If only he woulda watched some Kennith Davis/Thurman tapes.
          The sooner we can move on the better........
          Screw that, make that ingrate play in Buff this year! We need the backup until our other backs get up to speed in the system, he is cheap, and he is damn good. The price is right, keep him unless someone gives us what we want.

Comment

• Luisito23
            Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Billsology
            Ricky Williams has no absolutely no heart. I can't believe anyone outside the arena league would even consider him.
            My thoughts exactly, any NFL team that wants 2 take a chance on that jerk is just a bigger jerk, after all they saw from this ingrate he's still coveted more than Henry, I really can't believe so much BS........

GO PACERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
            ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
            ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
            ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• HotRod
              Addicted to squares...
              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by NE39
              Vic addresses the reason's the Bills' have had trouble getting good value for Henry in his latest mailbag:

What's the deal with Travis Henry? After consecutive 1,000-yard seasons, there appears not to be too much interest in him. It would seem he's worth more than a third-round pick, but there are no takers. Why?
              -- Ra

I think there is interest in Henry, but not the sort that would allow the Buffalo Bills to receive a third-round pick or higher for him. There are two main factors working against the Bills and Henry.

One is that, given Henry's predictable angry response to being replaced by Willis McGahee as a starter last season, he is a headache for the Bills. No team is going to pay a premium, or even a semi-premium price, for another team's headache. Henry wants out, he is likely to become a locker-room cancer if he stays, and any team that might have an interest in acquiring him is going to wait for the Bills to release him -- provided they don't make a deal first.

Another reason the Bills are unlikely to get a good price for Henry is that several teams were able to address their need at running back from a draft that had an abundance of highly talented players at the position. Also, at least one other veteran running back with a higher profile, Shaun Alexander, is available. And there is a possibility that if Ricky Williams does the expected and rejoins the Miami Dolphins, he, too, could end up on the trade market.
              But somehow RW doesn't fit that definition (of a team headache). Amazing.

(I'm not knocking the article, just that it seems that the same definition isn't used for all the players)

Originally posted by RedEyE
              Henry should have just kept his mouth shut and sucked it up as the back up for a couple of years. Carucci is right, Henry is now deemed as a headache. If he would have continued as a team player he might have earned his starting role back from McGahee. RBs come and go from this league every year. I hope it doens't happen, but what's to say that Willis doesn't find another season ending injury, or career ending for that matter.

Had he continued to play I'm certain that he waould have accrued enough interest theend of next season. Now, wherever he goes, his chances of starting are just as remote as staying in Buffalo.

If he really wanted to stick it to Buffalo for all the "hardship" that he endured, he should have remained silent played out his contract and sign elsewhere when the Bills need him most.
              I agree, He should have kept his mouth shut.

Comment

• capitolneal
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by HAMMER
                Screw that, make that ingrate play in Buff this year! We need the backup until our other backs get up to speed in the system, he is cheap, and he is damn good. The price is right, keep him unless someone gives us what we want.
                I AGREE he has to give MAX effort (FA Year) keep him and then we probably get a comensation pick in 07 for losing him and a yr of service

Comment

• Typ0
                  honey pie
                  • Jul 2002

he didn't even mention the injuries or that his play has been on the decline!

Comment

• pleasesavedrew
                    • Feb 2005

Sean Alexander is better than henry, in fact i'd trade mcgahee for him, hes a top 5 back
                    Remember the past(11), embrace the future(7)

Comment

• unpaid_bills
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by pleasesavedrew
                      Sean Alexander is better than henry, in fact i'd trade mcgahee for him, hes a top 5 back
                      is all I have to say.
                      Nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills .... Bills Mafia for life

Comment

• mysticsoto
                        Too sober for this...
                        • Apr 2004

No way! McGahee got all those yards last year and didn't even start the 1st 3 games. And this was his 1st year back from injury. This year, he will be even better. We got him at a bargain 2 years ago and it's probably one of the best moves TD ever did. Besides, WM is younger and will have a longer future producing for the Bills than Shaun could. Don't get me wrong, I like Shaun...I've had him in my fantasy for the last 2 years, but this year - now that we've upgraded the O-line with more road graters, and MW coming in in fantastic shape...I would take McGahee if I could!!!

Comment

• kbeath
                          • May 2005

Thank you I thought no one was going to get that guy the reality check before he keeps posting nonsense.

Comment

• kbeath
                            • May 2005

Man come on people WM better than SA? Yeah right SA is the 2nd best rb in the whole league wm is top 10.

Comment

• DaBillzAhDaShiznit
                              • May 2004

I would agree that Alexander is better than Henry, but not worlds better.
                              And trade McGahee for him? Are you completely out of your mind, or just stoned? McGahee is a more talented RB than Alexander, period. Not saying he has proved it yet, but if everything works out for him, he could easily surpass Alexander's career numbers.
                              "Show me a good loser and I will show you an idiot"
                              --Leo Durocher

Comment

Working...
                              X