PDA

View Full Version : Vic Carucci on the problem the Bills face trying to trade Henry...

Ickybaluky
06-18-2005, 10:43 AM
Vic addresses the reason's the Bills' have had trouble getting good value for Henry in his latest mailbag (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8571789):

What's the deal with Travis Henry? After consecutive 1,000-yard seasons, there appears not to be too much interest in him. It would seem he's worth more than a third-round pick, but there are no takers. Why?
-- Ra

I think there is interest in Henry, but not the sort that would allow the Buffalo Bills to receive a third-round pick or higher for him. There are two main factors working against the Bills and Henry.

One is that, given Henry's predictable angry response to being replaced by Willis McGahee as a starter last season, he is a headache for the Bills. No team is going to pay a premium, or even a semi-premium price, for another team's headache. Henry wants out, he is likely to become a locker-room cancer if he stays, and any team that might have an interest in acquiring him is going to wait for the Bills to release him -- provided they don't make a deal first.

Another reason the Bills are unlikely to get a good price for Henry is that several teams were able to address their need at running back from a draft that had an abundance of highly talented players at the position. Also, at least one other veteran running back with a higher profile, Shaun Alexander, is available. And there is a possibility that if Ricky Williams does the expected and rejoins the Miami Dolphins, he, too, could end up on the trade market.

Historian
06-18-2005, 01:12 PM
Lost in all of that, is the fact that some team would get a real good value if they traded for him. He's not terribly bright, but he's a warrior who always gave it his all out on the field...most of the time while playing injured.

Shawn Alexander has some talent, yes, but I don't think he's much better than Henry.

And Ricky Williams has no absolutely no heart. I can't believe anyone outside the arena league would even consider him.

RedEyE
06-18-2005, 04:19 PM
Henry should have just kept his mouth shut and sucked it up as the back up for a couple of years. Carucci is right, Henry is now deemed as a headache. If he would have continued as a team player he might have earned his starting role back from McGahee. RBs come and go from this league every year. I hope it doens't happen, but what's to say that Willis doesn't find another season ending injury, or career ending for that matter.

Had he continued to play I'm certain that he waould have accrued enough interest theend of next season. Now, wherever he goes, his chances of starting are just as remote as staying in Buffalo.

If he really wanted to stick it to Buffalo for all the "hardship" that he endured, he should have remained silent played out his contract and sign elsewhere when the Bills need him most.

Marvelous
06-18-2005, 04:25 PM
The sooner he is dealt the better. Between me & my wife we have 3 Henry jerseys, a signed plaque, and two personalized signed mini helmets from Jacksonville last year. So i was a big fan but it's time to move on.. If only he woulda watched some Kennith Davis/Thurman tapes.
The sooner we can move on the better........

HAMMER
06-19-2005, 12:23 AM
The sooner he is dealt the better. Between me & my wife we have 3 Henry jerseys, a signed plaque, and two personalized signed mini helmets from Jacksonville last year. So i was a big fan but it's time to move on.. If only he woulda watched some Kennith Davis/Thurman tapes.
The sooner we can move on the better........
Screw that, make that ingrate play in Buff this year! We need the backup until our other backs get up to speed in the system, he is cheap, and he is damn good. The price is right, keep him unless someone gives us what we want.

Luisito23
06-19-2005, 03:11 AM
Ricky Williams has no absolutely no heart. I can't believe anyone outside the arena league would even consider him.

My thoughts exactly, any NFL team that wants 2 take a chance on that jerk is just a bigger jerk, after all they saw from this ingrate he's still coveted more than Henry, I really can't believe so much BS........

GO PACERS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :band: :respect: :bf1:

HotRod
06-19-2005, 10:13 AM
Vic addresses the reason's the Bills' have had trouble getting good value for Henry in his latest mailbag (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8571789):

What's the deal with Travis Henry? After consecutive 1,000-yard seasons, there appears not to be too much interest in him. It would seem he's worth more than a third-round pick, but there are no takers. Why?
-- Ra

I think there is interest in Henry, but not the sort that would allow the Buffalo Bills to receive a third-round pick or higher for him. There are two main factors working against the Bills and Henry.

One is that, given Henry's predictable angry response to being replaced by Willis McGahee as a starter last season, he is a headache for the Bills. No team is going to pay a premium, or even a semi-premium price, for another team's headache. Henry wants out, he is likely to become a locker-room cancer if he stays, and any team that might have an interest in acquiring him is going to wait for the Bills to release him -- provided they don't make a deal first.

Another reason the Bills are unlikely to get a good price for Henry is that several teams were able to address their need at running back from a draft that had an abundance of highly talented players at the position. Also, at least one other veteran running back with a higher profile, Shaun Alexander, is available. And there is a possibility that if Ricky Williams does the expected and rejoins the Miami Dolphins, he, too, could end up on the trade market.

But somehow RW doesn't fit that definition (of a team headache). Amazing.

(I'm not knocking the article, just that it seems that the same definition isn't used for all the players)

Henry should have just kept his mouth shut and sucked it up as the back up for a couple of years. Carucci is right, Henry is now deemed as a headache. If he would have continued as a team player he might have earned his starting role back from McGahee. RBs come and go from this league every year. I hope it doens't happen, but what's to say that Willis doesn't find another season ending injury, or career ending for that matter.

Had he continued to play I'm certain that he waould have accrued enough interest theend of next season. Now, wherever he goes, his chances of starting are just as remote as staying in Buffalo.

If he really wanted to stick it to Buffalo for all the "hardship" that he endured, he should have remained silent played out his contract and sign elsewhere when the Bills need him most.

I agree, He should have kept his mouth shut.

capitolneal
06-19-2005, 10:23 AM
Screw that, make that ingrate play in Buff this year! We need the backup until our other backs get up to speed in the system, he is cheap, and he is damn good. The price is right, keep him unless someone gives us what we want.
I AGREE he has to give MAX effort (FA Year) keep him and then we probably get a comensation pick in 07 for losing him and a yr of service

Typ0
06-19-2005, 10:05 PM
he didn't even mention the injuries or that his play has been on the decline!

pleasesavedrew
06-19-2005, 10:09 PM
Sean Alexander is better than henry, in fact i'd trade mcgahee for him, hes a top 5 back

unpaid_bills
06-19-2005, 11:43 PM
Sean Alexander is better than henry, in fact i'd trade mcgahee for him, hes a top 5 back
:boozer:is all I have to say.

mysticsoto
06-20-2005, 08:18 AM
No way! McGahee got all those yards last year and didn't even start the 1st 3 games. And this was his 1st year back from injury. This year, he will be even better. We got him at a bargain 2 years ago and it's probably one of the best moves TD ever did. Besides, WM is younger and will have a longer future producing for the Bills than Shaun could. Don't get me wrong, I like Shaun...I've had him in my fantasy for the last 2 years, but this year - now that we've upgraded the O-line with more road graters, and MW coming in in fantastic shape...I would take McGahee if I could!!!

kbeath
06-20-2005, 08:48 AM
Sean Alexander is better than henry, in fact i'd trade mcgahee for him, hes a top 5 backThank you I thought no one was going to get that guy the reality check before he keeps posting nonsense.

kbeath
06-20-2005, 08:49 AM
Man come on people WM better than SA? Yeah right SA is the 2nd best rb in the whole league wm is top 10.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
06-20-2005, 08:50 AM

I would agree that Alexander is better than Henry, but not worlds better.
And trade McGahee for him? Are you completely out of your mind, or just stoned? McGahee is a more talented RB than Alexander, period. Not saying he has proved it yet, but if everything works out for him, he could easily surpass Alexander's career numbers.

kbeath
06-20-2005, 09:45 AM
I would agree that Alexander is better than Henry, but not worlds better.
And trade McGahee for him? Are you completely out of your mind, or just stoned? McGahee is a more talented RB than Alexander, period. Not saying he has proved it yet, but if everything works out for him, he could easily surpass Alexander's career numbers.I like wm so its not that I dont wish him to be great, I do. "He could easily surpass Alex. career numbers." Come on HOMER HOMER HOMER ALERT!. SA is very good and has been for a few years now. It is a stretch "NOT EASY"to say WM career numbers will be better than SA's. You are baseing that on what talent? SA avg. 1400 yds and 15 TD's a season in the last 4 years and is in his Prime RIGHT NOW. He is on pace to be one of the best EVER. Now it is "easy" to say at these avg's he will break every rushing record but I wouldnt because of the variables that go into being a RB ie. injuries, opponents Defenses, offensive schemes, quality oline, etc. So how besides being a HOMER could you think for a second WM is a safer bet or as talented as SA. It is way way way to early to tell but you are comparing him to a dominant starter. It is not a dumb move to trade for him but I do understand that you would like potential over skill at this point, but someone would be "OUT OF there MIND" to say that "he could easily surpass" Alex's career numbers. It is a safer bet that SA makes the HOF than WM being better than him.

Philagape
06-20-2005, 10:19 AM
Why not trade Henry for a conditional pick based on performance?
Say,
1,300 yards ----> 2nd-rounder
1,000 yards ----> 3rd-rounder
Less than that ---> 4th-rounder
Or something along those lines?

Bill Brasky
06-20-2005, 10:57 AM
Henry should have just kept his mouth shut and sucked it up as the back up for a couple of years.

How would you like it if after a couple years your company brings in some college student who just graduated and gives them your job and tells you to take a back seat?

TH has become a headache, but it's justifiable.

ExWNYer
06-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Sean Alexander is better than henry

That's not the point. Henry is a much better cap value. Anyone who trades for SA will have to take a huge hit to their cap in order to re-sign him. Alexander is better, but Henry is the better value.

Bulldog
06-20-2005, 11:45 AM
How would you like it if after a couple years your company brings in some college student who just graduated and gives them your job and tells you to take a back seat?

TH has become a headache, but it's justifiable.

I can think of about 1.5 million reasons why I would shut my mouth and play the role of good soldier. All he has to do is play out the contract that HE signed and become a FA next year. Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.

Jan Reimers
06-20-2005, 11:46 AM
I'm with you 100%

mysticsoto
06-20-2005, 12:14 PM
Why not trade Henry for a conditional pick based on performance?
Say,
1,300 yards ----> 2nd-rounder
1,000 yards ----> 3rd-rounder
Less than that ---> 4th-rounder
Or something along those lines?
I think this is a good idea - but only as last resort. TD is doing the right thing by waiting - after all, what's the rush? No matter how quickly or late he trades him, the traded pick will still be for next year. So why not wait and see what happens in training camp - why not wait to see if Chris Brown ends up injured again? Or why not wait and see how Fred Taylor looks on his return? Why not wait and see if Minnesota is happy with their current RBs? Why rush trading him now - we know the Titans will give us atleast a 4th rounder for him. Can we up that with no strings attached? Or do we need the strings to go with it?

No matter which is the case, it is in our interest to be patient and wait. Boy am I glad TD his heading our team and not some of the fans around here who are part of the microwave "Now, now now" generation. Let's wait, see what happens and see who gets injured. There is absolutely NOTHING to gain by making a trade right now and definitely alot to lose if we do!!!