PDA

View Full Version : If not Drew then who?

justasportsfan
12-22-2002, 05:05 PM
Some people forget that although Drew had a hoorible day , you forget that Farve didn't do that much better. Farve had better help from his OL than Drew did. They made the appropriate adjustments during the half while we didn't.

My question is, since a lot of you guys are so quick to judge Drew on his first year, who do you think would've been a better option than Drew this year? AVP and the first rd. draft pick who may be a bust? We have enough cap room next year to draft the FA we will need to beef up the team.

I am not a Drew fan but I won't be so quick to judge him this year either. This team is better than last year and we are headed the right direction.

I guess some of you guys expected the bills to make the playoffs this year that you are so upset that Drew didn't take us there in the first year.

mybills
12-22-2002, 05:10 PM
<b>"If not Drew then who?"</b>

ANYBODY
lol :evil:

Mr. Miyagi
12-22-2002, 05:13 PM
no Rob Johnson, pleeeeeeeese.

justasportsfan
12-22-2002, 05:15 PM
Flutie had a winning record in his first year? Lol!

Dozerdog
12-22-2002, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by mybills
&lt;b&gt;&quot;If not Drew then who?&quot;&lt;/b&gt;

ANYBODY

Seriously- with this D and our other issues where would we be this year?

4-12? And we would have the 3rd or 4th pick in te draft. Even if we got a QB (Leftwich, Palmer, Manning) who's to say they wouldn't be a bust?

And we would be another year or two removed from the playoffs as we allow 2-3 years for the QB to develop.

mybills
12-22-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

I am not a Drew fan but I won't be so quick to judge him this year either.

I bang the gavel on him now. The jury's been out for nine + years! :snicker:

mybills
12-22-2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

And we would be another year or two removed from the playoffs as we allow 2-3 years for the QB to develop.

pesimist :shakeno:
Drew blew our playoff chance....
what people don't realize is, the Drew you see is the Drew you've got. They seem to think he can be groomed by new coaching. Hello? What's the diff?

nuff said.

mybills
12-22-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by BillsFanStuckInWisc
no Rob Johnson, pleeeeeeeese.

That would be a forward lateral? Gawd no! lol

justasportsfan
12-22-2002, 05:33 PM

pesimist :shakeno:
Drew blew our playoff chance....
what people don't realize is, the Drew you see is the Drew you've got. They seem to think he can be groomed by new coaching. Hello? What's the diff?

nuff said.

well Henry didn't do squat either. Should we blame him as well? Beisides what were our chances os making the playoffs even is we won. I guess we just wanted to hope even more.

mybills
12-22-2002, 05:41 PM

well Henry didn't do squat either. Should we blame him as well?

:bigwave:
hey good looking...
See my answer in the game ball & goats thread.

BillC
12-22-2002, 05:52 PM
&lt;b&gt;&quot;If not Drew then who?&quot;&lt;/b&gt;

ANYBODY

Well, MissWys-

Please explain what you would have done in hindsight last offseason.

Who would be the QB, what would the record be of the Bills this year, and what the future would be like next season.

Everybody loves an armchair whiner who does not put forth a solution.

Novacane
12-22-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by BillC

Well, MissWys-

Please explain what you would have done in hindsight last offseason.

If she really is MissWys she would have wanted Travis Brown

Alluro
12-22-2002, 07:13 PM
How about the QB in that "Second String" movie they just had on TNT the other day?

Scott
12-22-2002, 07:29 PM
Agree with you 100% sportsfan, Bills fans border on embarrassing, when we were 5-3 they loved Drew, then we go 2-5 and he sucks.
I have yet to figure out how one man can single handedly lose 5 games all by himself with no help from his teammates.

Marcos20
12-22-2002, 07:36 PM
im really happy with this season , Bledsoe was a terrific adwuision for the bills, and do the job right, he can have bad and good games, now is having troubles...

Ebenezer
12-22-2002, 08:49 PM
I'm still waiting for somebody to answer the original question...

who was available and would have been better than Bledsoe??

AVP??
Travis Brown??
Jeff Blake??

Tick...tick...tick

Tatonka
12-22-2002, 08:53 PM
ebenezer.. your answer is obvious.. we made the best choice we could i think.. as unhappy as i am with drew right now.. i still think we made the only deal we could.

Patrick76777
12-22-2002, 09:33 PM
Nuts.....Crazy. The last two weeks, he has played in some of the worst conditions. And in both weeks he has outplayed the other QB. Breese was awful last week and Drew's numbers (save for the fumbles) were better then Favre's today. He'll be fine......

honey
12-22-2002, 09:41 PM
I'll stick with Drew. The players like him, he's infused some much needed confidence in the team and I think he's gonna be just fine. :)

Dozerdog
12-22-2002, 09:45 PM
Unless someone answers BillC's questions, I'm solidly a drew guy too!

"He sucks... I want someone else!" Ain't gonna cut it.

colin
12-22-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
Nuts.....Crazy. The last two weeks, he has played in some of the worst conditions. And in both weeks he has outplayed the other QB. Breese was awful last week and Drew's numbers (save for the fumbles) were better then Favre's today. He'll be fine......

Good point, i don't think he really outplayed them much, but Favre had a WAY better line and run game and sucked ass today.

Typ0
12-22-2002, 10:22 PM
Drew stunk up the place today something bad. He dropped the ball four times, threw two interceptions, countless other poor throws and some devastating sacks. There is no defense for his performance today.

Voltron
12-23-2002, 12:19 AM
Still no answer on who we could have taken or utilized. :huh:

I still haven't seen Wys chime in either. :blah:

I'm with the Drew guys. I stood behind RJ when I was not 100% in his corner. I know Drew had a bad game today but I will take 2 real bad games this year over the debacles we watched last year with RJ. Lest we not forget Todd Collins and Billy Jo!! :insane:

Come on people be fans and support your team! I am not saying you have to like every person or agree with what ever happens with this team but this monthly swing of opinion on Drew is getting absolutely ridiculous!
:argue:

TypicalBill
12-23-2002, 12:31 AM
vonnie holliday alone had 5 sacks. That speaks volumes about our off. L

Typ0
12-23-2002, 12:58 AM
I agree with what you said but don't come up with a lot of lame excuses for Drews performance today he stunk and that is all there is to it. I didn't say I was ready to run him out of town but just becuase I don't want to run him out of town does not mean I am going to rationalize his play today in a way that makes me feel better about supporting him. He stunk today. I have never seen a worse performance from a guy who has played in a superbowl before. It was really pathetic. The only worse performances I have seen were from QB's who had no business playing in the first place.

Ebenezer
12-23-2002, 07:55 AM
Typ0, I don't deny Drew sucked yesterday...but as a whole it was the best move at the time...will be the best move for the next couple of years and in the grand scheme the Bills are better off with Drew than the alternatives at the time. BTW, there still will be nobody available in 2003 that can come in for the cost and be effective.

TedMock
12-23-2002, 08:17 AM
Drew was bad yesterday but so was everybody else. Moulds and Price both dropped balls. Price's was crucial. Moulds seemed to let up on a lot of balls too. Drew was also sacked 6 friggin times albeit 2 were more his fault. Take those away and there's still 4. He was chased out and knocked down a bunch of times and Henry couldn't get anywhere out of the backfield. I don't think Jennings should have been playing. He's obviously still hurting because he looked slow and terrible. Add it up and you get 11 guys all having bad games at once. It was ridiculous. Oh yeah, Hollis missed an important field goal. The D looked good though. Favre also threw 2 picks and completed less than 50%. I feel bad for non Bills and Packs fans who tuned in to see "Favre vs. Bledsoe" This was gonna be a high scoring exciting game for everyone to see. A buddy of mine who's a Skins fan said he's going to be switching to the Buffalo game because that should be very exciting.

mybills
12-23-2002, 09:11 AM
Just a reminder here, I am not going back and forth on liking Drew. I NEVER liked him.

Now that we're clear on that, I'll try to answer the original question. There was nobody available that was better than Bledsoe, that's a trick question. Omit the word "better" and you have more choices. There were some out there that were equally groomable. Not AVP as he's pretty set in his ways. They could groom for example, Brown, and why not? Let's face it, they're still trying to groom Drew. Too bad he's too set in his ways too.

Some fans really have gone back and forth on Drew. That's ok, because they just weren't sure what to think of him. Others defend him even after a ****ty day, that's ok too, because they've always thought of him as our savior. Then like I said, there are those like me who never liked him. Why isn't that ok?

Don't answer that last question, because it IS ok.
I wish I never responded to the first question either, since there's really nothing that any of us can do about it now anyway.

Typ0
12-23-2002, 10:27 AM
Another Travis Brown over Drew Bledsoe supporter. You must be kidding me.

Eb I completely understand and agree wholeheartedly. We could have went with AVP and used that number one pick this year on a QB and maybe been able to have a winning season in 2004. That's not rebuilding it's providing lip service to the fans about how things in the future look rosy. That's the kind of crap they pull in Cincinatti. If the players do their jobs next season we will be a very competetive team. Damn the torpedoes full speed ahead.

itsandthings
12-23-2002, 11:36 AM
BTW, there still will be nobody available in 2003 that can come in for the cost and be effective.

Jake Delhomme. He is the next QB to come up in the league "out of nowhere". He is a UFA and could be had much cheaper than Drew.

Further, the Bills need to look into drafting a young QB to develop. The Bills have done a nice job of acquiring young talent to rebuild around, they need to keep doing that while getting a young QB to develop with them.

I agree it makes sense to keep Bledsoe around another year or 2 at this point, but the Bills should already be making plans on acquiring his replacement for 2004 and beyond. They also need to bring in a young guy or 2 to push Drew, and Delhomme is a guy that could pull another Brady on him.

Ebenezer
12-23-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by itsandthings
BTW, there still will be nobody available in 2003 that can come in for the cost and be effective.

Jake Delhomme. He is the next QB to come up in the league &quot;out of nowhere&quot;. He is a UFA and could be had much cheaper than Drew.

I'll predict right now that Delhomme never starts more than 16 games in this league.

Earthquake Enyart
12-23-2002, 12:59 PM
Jim Miller!

itsandthings
12-23-2002, 06:25 PM
And you probably would have made that same prediction about Rich Gannon, Kurt Warner, Tom Brady, Jay Fiedler, Jeff Garcia, Trent Green, Marc Brunell or Marc Bulger. All those guys were backups that nobody heard of until they got a chance to play. All of them shined when they got the chance.

Delhomme isn't real big (6-2, 205#), but he is a pretty good athlete, has a live arm and has a playmakers mentality. He came out of a small college (Louisiana Tech, the same school that Terry Bradshaw attended, where he had a great college career) and has taken some time to develop (he is 26) and learn the Pro game, but his coaches and teammates love him and feel he has what it takes to be a NFL starter. He has consistently improved since entering the league and will be unrestricted this year. He played in NFL Europe in 1998 and has been impressive the last few pre-seasons. He is ready to get his shot.

Whether Delhomme will pan out or not is irrelevant. The point is, Buffalo has put together some pretty talented young players and needs to build around that. Instead of building around Bledsoe, they need a young QB that can grow with the team.

HenryRules
12-23-2002, 07:36 PM
Bledsoe is only 30 ... for a QB that means he's got at least another 4 or 5 good years before he starts to wind down (barring any injuries, but that's the same for any age QB). I think Garcia was a rookie at Bledsoe's age and Warner around 28 ... my point is that Bledsoe is plenty young to build this team around.

mybills
12-23-2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Typ0
Another Travis Brown over Drew Bledsoe supporter. You must be kidding me.

No Typo, you just read it wrong.
I said "for example".

itsandthings
12-24-2002, 06:56 AM
Bledsoe may be young enough, but he isn't the guy you want to build around. He is too immobile and becomes average at best against good teams.

Buffalo should be looking to replace him. They got the boost they needed from the trade.

Buffatexas
12-24-2002, 07:50 AM
I think the one thing that Drew brings to this team is leadership, which is something that we have not had since Jimbo. Even if we did being in a young qb to groom for the future, who would groom him? Kragthorpe?Rob Johnson?AVP?, no Drew would make a great mentor. Jimbo had Fergie, Young had Montana, Brooks, Brunell had Favre. I think if we look behind the scenes, Drew was the right decision for this team.

mybills
12-24-2002, 08:19 AM
Drew couldn't help but to accept the Bills offer then, he had nobody (like Brady) to groom. He got the whole job handed to him on a silver platter, and he can't handle it. Maybe it's a good idea to bring somebody in for him to groom, so it'll make him more competitive <b>all year long</b> instead of <b>fading out early</b> again next year!

Ebenezer
01-19-2004, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by itsandthings
Jake Delhomme. He is the next QB to come up in the league "out of nowhere". He is a UFA and could be had much cheaper than Drew.

Originally posted by Ebenezer
I'll predict right now that Delhomme never starts more than 16 games in this league.

Well...nobody ever said science was perfect...Sorry itsandthings...I was wrong. You had the solution to the DB question and nobody saw it.

Now, what happens when Delhomme beats the Pats next week...:chuckle:

baalworship
01-19-2004, 09:28 AM
Good stuff. I was firmly in the give Bledsoe one more year camp last year. Well, I was wrong. Now at least I can admit I was wrong and I am firmly behind bringing in Billy Volek and drafting a young QB AND cutting Drew Bledsoe.

Billy Billy Billy!

justasportsfan
01-19-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by baalworship
Good stuff. I was firmly in the give Bledsoe one more year camp last year. Well, I was wrong. Now at least I can admit I was wrong and I am firmly behind bringing in Billy Volek and drafting a young QB AND cutting Drew Bledsoe.

Billy Billy Billy!

We've learned our lesson but don't forget, we hired Rob based on one game.

The_Philster
01-19-2004, 03:18 PM
We've learned our lesson but don't forget, we hired Rob based on one game.

:bf1:

elltrain22
01-19-2004, 05:04 PM
2 words:

Philip Rivers..........

Ickybaluky
09-10-2004, 07:51 PM
And you probably would have made that same prediction about Rich Gannon, Kurt Warner, Tom Brady, Jay Fiedler, Jeff Garcia, Trent Green, Marc Brunell or Marc Bulger. All those guys were backups that nobody heard of until they got a chance to play. All of them shined when they got the chance.

Delhomme isn't real big (6-2, 205#), but he is a pretty good athlete, has a live arm and has a playmakers mentality. He came out of a small college (Louisiana Tech, the same school that Terry Bradshaw attended, where he had a great college career) and has taken some time to develop (he is 26) and learn the Pro game, but his coaches and teammates love him and feel he has what it takes to be a NFL starter. He has consistently improved since entering the league and will be unrestricted this year. He played in NFL Europe in 1998 and has been impressive the last few pre-seasons. He is ready to get his shot.

Whether Delhomme will pan out or not is irrelevant. The point is, Buffalo has put together some pretty talented young players and needs to build around that. Instead of building around Bledsoe, they need a young QB that can grow with the team.

Wow. Imagine if the Bills had signed Delhomme...

Maybe they would have been a Super Bowl team...

Ickybaluky
09-10-2004, 07:57 PM

Further, the Bills need to look into drafting a young QB to develop. The Bills have done a nice job of acquiring young talent to rebuild around, they need to keep doing that while getting a young QB to develop with them.

I agree it makes sense to keep Bledsoe around another year or 2 at this point, but the Bills should already be making plans on acquiring his replacement for 2004 and beyond. They also need to bring in a young guy or 2 to push Drew, and Delhomme is a guy that could pull another Brady on him.

Absolutely nailed it.