X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wolffman
    • Jul 2004

Question about Gandy

Does anyone know why he was released by the Bears so early last year? Was it just because of bad play?
  • deathadder
    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Wolffman
    Does anyone know why he was released by the Bears so early last year? Was it just because of bad play?
    No.. he was injured all of last season... he had a shoulder prob... they then released him...
    http://www.gizmogamer.com - Your #1 source for the latest gaming, gadgets, and technology news!

Comment

• juice
      • Aug 2003

A guy over on the Bears board said that we'd better have a good 4th string QB if Gandy's gonna be our starting LT.

What he said is that if Gandy could play LT then they would've put him there, they hate Q. Mitchell their starter at LT.

I tend to agree, what makes McNally think this guy can make a good LT?

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

According to Gandy's bio, he started 5 games at LG and 6 at LT in 2002 (his 2nd year), then 14 at LT (missing 2 due to injury) in 2003. He started the first 5 games at LG in 2004, then seriously injured his hamstring and was waived in November.

The Bottom Line: He has started 20 games at LT and 10 at LG in his 4 year career. He is only 26, a former 3rd round pick out of Notre Dame, has good size, and is bright and motivated.His real problem to date has been injuries.

I think we should see what McNally can do with him brfore we throw him under the bus.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• mysticsoto
          Too sober for this...
          • Apr 2004

Article on Gandy's situation

Here's a good article that talks about Gandy and the whole situation with the Bears:

He seems to fit what McNally is looking for...someone who has the intelligence but maybe needs to work on technique a little bit - what McNally excels in teaching. If he can stay healthy, he just might work out.

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by juice
            what makes McNally think this guy can make a good LT?
            Huh?
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• TedMock
              • Jul 2002

A guy over on the Bears board said that we'd better have a good 4th string QB if Gandy's gonna be our starting LT.

What he said is that if Gandy could play LT then they would've put him there, they hate Q. Mitchell their starter at LT.

I tend to agree, what makes McNally think this guy can make a good LT?
              In all fairness, Q. Mitchell was only starting because Colombo and Gandy were both injured. Gandy was moved to starting tackle in 2003 because Colombo went on IR then PUP. He started 14 games at a new position and allowed 8 sacks. The next season they had to re-shuffle the line again, and Gandy won the guard spot. He was injured again (hammy), was finally released by the team in November, then failed the physical in Carolina. He just couldn't get healthy last season. It's not like he lost his job because of play. This is proven by him failing a physical in Carolina at the end of the year. He never had a chance to earn his spot back since he never saw the practice field again. I would imagine that the first round pick (Colombo) is named starting LT if he's healthy this year, and Mitchell gets moved to 2nd string. Of course, I have no idea what Chicago's coaches are considering.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                Legendary Zoner
                • Jul 2002

He was on his way to be the starting guard in Chicago, but he always got hurt.

The last 2 seasons, the Bears have spent big FA money on tackles and let Gandy go. Also had a #1 pick at tacke (Columbo, the bust). Quasim Mitchell is horrible.

For the life of me, I don't get why TD didn't do that too.

Comment

• juice
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                  Huh?
                  Wouldn't McNally have the final sayso as to whether he thinks a guy is a servicable Tackle in this League or if, as the Bears staff thought, would be better suited to play Guard on the Pro level.. Guard is where he finished the season with the Bears on their depth chart.

Originally posted by TedMock
                  In all fairness, Q. Mitchell was only starting because Colombo and Gandy were both injured. Gandy was moved to starting tackle in 2003 because Colombo went on IR then PUP. He started 14 games at a new position and allowed 8 sacks. The next season they had to re-shuffle the line again, and Gandy won the guard spot. He was injured again (hammy), was finally released by the team in November, then failed the physical in Carolina. He just couldn't get healthy last season. It's not like he lost his job because of play. This is proven by him failing a physical in Carolina at the end of the year. He never had a chance to earn his spot back since he never saw the practice field again. I would imagine that the first round pick (Colombo) is named starting LT if he's healthy this year, and Mitchell gets moved to 2nd string. Of course, I have no idea what Chicago's coaches are considering.
                  If he was an adequate LT when playing there as a starter then why wasn't he put back on the depth chart as a Tackle instead of at Guard.. it just sounds like the bears staff gave up on him at either position when they released him in Nov.

The bears have fielded a good line more recently than the bills have and are well on their way to having a solid unit to open holes for Benson this year.. I hate to say that I have more confidence in the Bears staff to evaluate Gandy's potential who they've had at two different positions, than I do the Bills ability to turn a Bears released player into the protecter of the Blind side of an inexperienced QB like JPL.

Especially after the L. Smith/Pusillo experiment of last year.. it just seems like they are putting JPL in a bad situation that could lead to him struggling early in the season and hurt his confidence. I'd hate for JPL to go through what Manning went through last year, in his first starts because once again TD failed to bring in quality talent to play the LG and LT positions.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                    • Mar 2005

Too early for this..

I'd hate for JPL to go through what Manning went through last year, in his first starts because once again TD failed to bring in quality talent to play the LG and LT positions.
                    First off Manning was one of the slowest players coming out of the draft, he looked horrible and I watched alot of his games down here in Atlanta. JP can scramble, Eli can't. We will have camp and pre-season to determine if Gandy is an issue. Let's be patient.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                      • May 2003

Originally posted by TedMock
                      In all fairness, Q. Mitchell was only starting because Colombo and Gandy were both injured. Gandy was moved to starting tackle in 2003 because Colombo went on IR then PUP. He started 14 games at a new position and allowed 8 sacks. The next season they had to re-shuffle the line again, and Gandy won the guard spot. He was injured again (hammy), was finally released by the team in November, then failed the physical in Carolina. He just couldn't get healthy last season. It's not like he lost his job because of play. This is proven by him failing a physical in Carolina at the end of the year. He never had a chance to earn his spot back since he never saw the practice field again.
                      Good post. I've been saying all along that the guy might be pretty good, but a number of Zoners are ready to throw him on the slag heap before he even gets a chance.
                      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• juice
                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                        First off Manning was one of the slowest players coming out of the draft, he looked horrible and I watched alot of his games down here in Atlanta. JP can scramble, Eli can't. We will have camp and pre-season to determine if Gandy is an issue. Let's be patient.
                        JP's ability to scramble wont be a factor in trying to avoid the rush from his blind side.. is that any way to inniciate a young QB into the Nfl by banking on his ability to avoid J. Taylor or J. abraham by improvising.

If you think Abraham had his way with JJ last year wait until he leaves Gandy in his 3 point stance.. Gandy protecting JP's Blindside is a huge risk that this team cant afford to take being a decade removed from the playoffs. If JP loses confidence in his Blindside protection, he'll struggle early, and we'll miss the playoffs again this year - with NE in our Division we're already playing for a Wildcard.

Bledsoe got killed due to a lack of LG play last year(L. Smith/Pusscillo) and with JP we're risking failure due to a lack of protection at the LG/LT positions, don't forget that our new LG struggles in pass protection also.. what do we do roll JP out on every pass play?

Comment

• TedMock
                          • Jul 2002

I think the idea was the Bears originally drafted Gandy to play guard, the next season they draft Colombo to be the guy at tackle. Colombo gets injured Gandy moved to LT, where he performed okay (similar to Jonas' first season at LT), but at that point they still would've ideally had their guy they drafted to play guard playing guard, and their first round tackle playing LT. Don't forget that at the end of 2003, Colombo, Rex Tucker, and Q. Mitchell were all on IR. They desperately needed to re-shuffle. Couple that with the fact that they sign Ruben Brown who came to camp out of shape, and not playing well in practice, and the fact that Terrence Metcalf wasn't playing up to par; they were in a world of worry about the o-line. These guys were getting bounced all around out of desperation.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Wouldn't McNally have the final sayso as to whether he thinks a guy is a servicable Tackle in this League or if, as the Bears staff thought, would be better suited to play Guard on the Pro level.. Guard is where he finished the season with the Bears on their depth chart.
                            Although he is not fallible, I really wouldn't question McNally's knowledge of players and the OL which you just did.

Whatever he thinks, I trust him. I'm sure he'd love to have better players than Gandy but if Gandy is all he's got because of the cap, then I trust the Mouse can find some good use out of him. Remember, we rejected Ziegler and McNally turned him into the starting Center for the Giants sb OL .
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                              • May 2003

juice, I wouldn't be so quick to give up on the left side of our line. I think Anderson will be a huge improvement over the guys (Smith and Tucker) we had there last year. Gandy has a chance to be good as well.

And I just don't think TD, MM, and Mouse are so stupid that they would leave us totally vulnerable at LG and LT.

Comment

Working...
                              X