Let's objectively look at why the Dolphins SUCK.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaBillzAhDaShiznit
    • May 2004

Let's objectively look at why the Dolphins SUCK.

Like many of the BillsZone members, I have grown very weary of Dolphin fans blindly defending the Dolphins on a Bills message board. If you want to do that, go to finhaven, but if you want to defend the Dolphins here, you have to be objective.

Let's look at the Dolphins without bringing in comparisons to the Bills.
    The Bills have nothing to do with how the Dolphins team is constructed.

**Offense: QB-- Fiedler and Feely, as well as Berlin and ol' Sage are not starting caliber NFL QBs I think they are solid backups, but I don't think their guys would start for any other team in the league. Maybe Arizona. Frerotte is the only wild card, might be the best QB on their roster. Has not had a real chance to start in many years, he might now be a wily old veteran.
    RB--one of their strengths, and that is without considering Ricky Williams in the lineup. Honestly, nobody knows what they are getting with Ricky. It's just as easy to be optimistic as pessimistic, so why even argue that point until we see him play? Ronnie Brown is promising, so is Lamar Gordon. Sammy Morris can play HB even though he is listed at FB. Their FB situation is not real solid, but big names are not really necessary at FB.
    TE--Not bad here either. McMichael and Donald Lee are solid. They have good young depth at this position as well.
    WR--Assuming Boston is healthy, they are above average. Chambers is a go to receiver, and is clutch. Wes Welker is speedy, and Thompson and Booker provide good 3rd/4th WR options. Some good young talent here also.
    OLINE--At tackle they look good enough, McDougle, Carey and Smith provide the most skill, backups are a little shaky. Guard is about the same story, Geno James is OK, and they brought in a trio of unknowns in free agency. They only have two centers on the roster right now, but Seth McKinney is young, durable and solid.

***Defense
    --DLINE--Pretty damn solid. Jason Taylor and David Bowens are beasts. They also have Vonnie Holliday and Kevin Carter who provide nice depth at DE. They are quite old at DT, but Chester is a nice player.
    ---LBs---Again their starters are a bit long in the tooth, but Thomas is a force and Seau is still solid even though ancient. A bunch of young guys here who are getting better.
    ---Secondary--at Safety, I see a weak point here. Tebucky Jones is average at best, as is Akins. Lots of youth, but unless someone breaks out, nothing too exciting. CB--Sam Madison is very good, and Reggie Howard is solid. They brought in Mario Edwards who is a nice player also. Some good young depth. CB is a strength for the Dolphins.

***Special Teams
    --Kicker--Mare is a nice solid kicker.
    --Punter--Matt Turk is a nice solid punter
    --KR--Wes Welker is a homerun threat.

***Coaching
    --Saban has the pedigree, but a rookie head coach always has some growing pains. He should be a solid NFL coach, but needs to get some experience.
    --Richard Smith is DC, and honestly I know nothing about him. I don't know what he will bring to the table. If I were a Dolphin fan I might be a little concerned. Linehan is a good offensive mind, and should improve the Fins offense. Keith Armstrong (special teams), Mel Phillips (DBs) Hudson Houck (oline) and Charlie Baggett (WR, assistant head coach) are valuable, proven staff members. Can't say the same for Jason Garrett at QB coach.

Overall, I see a team that has potential to make some noise this year. I do not think anyone should write them off, but I do not think they are superbowl bound either. They have lots of key elements on the team, but until they address their QB situation and the coaching staff gets some experience, I don't think they are going to be a playoff team.
    "Show me a good loser and I will show you an idiot"
    --Leo Durocher
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DaBillzAhDaShiznit
    ***Defense
    --DLINE--Pretty damn solid. Jason Taylor and David Bowens are beasts. .
    Bowens already retired. Their DT's are unproven.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• mysticsoto
      Too sober for this...
      • Apr 2004

Fiedler is not there anymore either. Not that he would help their QB situation much anyway.

So, they don't have a real QB and much of the coaching staff is inexperienced and new to the team - which means that they will probably have a learning curve of atleast 1-2 yrs. What this means is that their aging defense will play well initially and hold them in some games...but eventually will suffer and be ready to retire by the time the offense comes around.

Comment

• camelcowboy
        • Mar 2005

I can't get past their crappy o-line, or their uniforms, bunch of fairys

Comment

• camelcowboy
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
          Bowens already retired. Their DT's are unproven.
          Bowens is holding off his retirement, not that it matters. Their D-line is quite long in the tooth.

Comment

• alohabillsfan
            • Sep 2003

The key to the fish on "O" still remains at the QB position, which also remains the same question on the Bills.

The weekness of the "D" remains a bad "O"!

Comment

• camelcowboy
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by alohabillsfan
              The key to the fish on "O" still remains at the QB position, which also remains the same question on the Bills.

The weekness of the "D" remains a bad "O"!
              Dolphins suck, because of feely, sounds right

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                • Mar 2005

The Bottom Line

Nobody outside of Buffalo expects Miami to be a playoff team this year. The Dolphins do not have a good QB situation. I think the most exciting thing for Miami is if Williams comes back, starts, and plays well. Although, I equate his return to that of Mike Tyson; his best days might be behind him. Either way a rookie coach finishing with a winning record does not happen to often. Nobody in Miami needs to be thinking of playoffs. However, if Losman starts out fast, the fans in Buffalo could really have something to be excited about.

Comment

• camelcowboy
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                  Nobody outside of Buffalo expects Miami to be a playoff team this year..
                  Who inside of buffalo thinks they'll make the playoffs?

Comment

• mysticsoto
                    Too sober for this...
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by camelcowboy
                    Who inside of buffalo thinks they'll make the playoffs?
                    He must've meant Miami...or maybe fin heaven - or FTP's apt.

Comment

• Nublar7
                      • Oct 2004

Like many of the BillsZone members, I have grown very weary of Dolphin fans blindly defending the Dolphins on a Bills message board. If you want to do that, go to finhaven, but if you want to defend the Dolphins here, you have to be objective.
                      Get used to it. As long as some of your members(Justa, Crisis) keep coming to FH and turning most threads into anti Fins and pro Bills you can expect an ambush of Dolphins fans.

Comment

• Ed
                        • Sep 2002

I mentioned it in another thread, but their qb situation says it all. Any time you go into training camp with an open competition at qb, it basically means you have two back-ups and no true starter. An open competition shows a total lack of confidence from the coaching staff that either player can be THE guy. If AJ had the talent and potential to be a good qb in this league, he wouldn't have to fight off an aging career back-up who only has the fact that he's familiar with the system going for him. How many teams have gone into training camp with an open competition at qb and had a good season?

With the exception of the Browns, the Dolphins were the worst team at stopping the run last year giving up a horrendous 144 ypg. That's not going to change much for this year. Bowens is gone for at least this season, he's considering a come back in 2006 if his back feels better. Larry Chester is still recovering from a serious injury. Keith Traylor is aging, out of shape and was never a force to begin with.

The Dolphins also have one of the weaker secondaries in the league. Madison is still a good player, but hasn't been the elite player he once was for at least a couple seasons now. The second CB position is still up in the air and their tandem of safeties is one of the worst in the league.

Comment

• kbeath
                          • May 2005

Let's look at the Dolphins without bringing in comparisons to the Bills.
                          The Bills have nothing to do with how the Dolphins team is constructed.

**Offense: QB-- Fiedler and Feely, as well as Berlin and ol' Sage are not starting caliber NFL QBs I think they are solid backups, but I don't think their guys would start for any other team in the league. Maybe Arizona. Frerotte is the only wild card, might be the best QB on their roster. Has not had a real chance to start in many years, he might now be a wily old veteran.
                          RB--one of their strengths, and that is without considering Ricky Williams in the lineup. Honestly, nobody knows what they are getting with Ricky. It's just as easy to be optimistic as pessimistic, so why even argue that point until we see him play? Ronnie Brown is promising, so is Lamar Gordon. Sammy Morris can play HB even though he is listed at FB. Their FB situation is not real solid, but big names are not really necessary at FB.
                          TE--Not bad here either. McMichael and Donald Lee are solid. They have good young depth at this position as well.
                          WR--Assuming Boston is healthy, they are above average. Chambers is a go to receiver, and is clutch. Wes Welker is speedy, and Thompson and Booker provide good 3rd/4th WR options. Some good young talent here also.
                          OLINE--At tackle they look good enough, McDougle, Carey and Smith provide the most skill, backups are a little shaky. Guard is about the same story, Geno James is OK, and they brought in a trio of unknowns in free agency. They only have two centers on the roster right now, but Seth McKinney is young, durable and solid.

***Defense
                          --DLINE--Pretty damn solid. Jason Taylor and David Bowens are beasts. They also have Vonnie Holliday and Kevin Carter who provide nice depth at DE. They are quite old at DT, but Chester is a nice player.
                          ---LBs---Again their starters are a bit long in the tooth, but Thomas is a force and Seau is still solid even though ancient. A bunch of young guys here who are getting better.
                          ---Secondary--at Safety, I see a weak point here. Tebucky Jones is average at best, as is Akins. Lots of youth, but unless someone breaks out, nothing too exciting. CB--Sam Madison is very good, and Reggie Howard is solid. They brought in Mario Edwards who is a nice player also. Some good young depth. CB is a strength for the Dolphins.

***Special Teams
                          --Kicker--Mare is a nice solid kicker.
                          --Punter--Matt Turk is a nice solid punter
                          --KR--Wes Welker is a homerun threat.

***Coaching
                          --Saban has the pedigree, but a rookie head coach always has some growing pains. He should be a solid NFL coach, but needs to get some experience.
                          --Richard Smith is DC, and honestly I know nothing about him. I don't know what he will bring to the table. If I were a Dolphin fan I might be a little concerned. Linehan is a good offensive mind, and should improve the Fins offense. Keith Armstrong (special teams), Mel Phillips (DBs) Hudson Houck (oline) and Charlie Baggett (WR, assistant head coach) are valuable, proven staff members. Can't say the same for Jason Garrett at QB coach.

Overall, I see a team that has potential to make some noise this year. I do not think anyone should write them off, but I do not think they are superbowl bound either. They have lots of key elements on the team, but until they address their QB situation and the coaching staff gets some experience, I don't think they are going to be a playoff team.
                          Dabills,
                          You are a straight shooter and i like that so here is your answer-
                          First off as a fin fan I am not worried about the secondary at all! Saban is a Defensive back coach first and formost. This is his specialty that he taught to Billichek did you see how well the pats did with a makeshift secondary. It is about making a team throw to the outside which is tough to do all game long. The QB situation SUCKS Ill be the first to admit. I belive ferotte will do well enough but dont get me wrong I DO NOT LIKE OUR QB SITUATION. The D line I am also worried about but it is possible that with the amount of moving around that we will be alright having Holliday and Carter playing DT with Chester. The Lb position I am real exited about I think we are real deep there with youth and experience. DE's will be SOLID. It is very hard to make a call on MIAMI's season when no one knows what O or D we will be running. All I know is I am a betting man and I know they will play better than they did for Dave and prob as well as they played for Bates. So I would predict a 9-7 with no playoffs. Theyre O should be alright with amount of skill position talent.

Comment

• kbeath
                            • May 2005

Why are so many people down on our secondary with the new rules you can servive with soso defen. backs. And our coach's specialty is Def. Backs.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                              Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                              Either way a rookie coach finishing with a winning record does not happen to often.
                              I know of somebody like that. His name is Mularkey or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X