PDA

View Full Version : With Bledsoe, why does it have to be...

WG
12-22-2002, 07:48 PM
...either he sucks or he's the world?

We all knew that this trade was a risk. It appears after today that the downside of that risk is playing itself out. But part of the problem, and what's not fair to Bledsoe, is that he's been called upon to "be the entire impetus" for our success. Partly by fan and front office hype, and partly due to offensive game planning.

It's not exactly fair to Drew, although maybe he likes being in that role. I have no idea. But he may suit us just fine, and frankly, he'll have to since he's here for at least two more seasons the way I see it. But as soon as this team learns to quit counting on him to singlehandedly win games, we will fare better. He may be much better in a support role w/ Henry being the feature offensive component behind strong blocking from what figures to be an exception OL for the next season or two.

But what we cannot expect, nor has it ever been the case, is for us to rely on Drew to play big in the big games including playoff Ogames. We knew when we brought him here that he does not have a good playoff record or individual performances in the playoffs and that he makes a lot of errors in key games partly due to impatience and wanting to go deep often.

But those of us who have seen Drew play extensively in N.E., meaning more than twice a year v. us, have seen that there are habits and tendencies that he has. One is to not play well in the big games including playoff games. That's a tough spot to be in since that's where you need to go through to win the big dance.

But he's only had two seasons in N.E. where he played well enough to have been considered in the top 10. Unfortunately, he also had 6 seasons w/ 20 or fewer TDs. That was never enough for me to consider him among the top 10.

Nonetheless, and again, we did take a risk with him by trading our 1st round pick. I doubt that many teams will give up a first in exchange, and we really need to focus on getting a DT, DE, and OLB this offseason. So I cannot imagine that replacing Drew is a possibility. Having said that, he can be better and more consistent, but it's going to have to take Gilbride and GW to recognize that he'll fare better in a role such as Aikman had in Dallas. Whether or not that happens remains to be seen.

But instead, many are now saying we need to replace Drew and get rid of him. I don't think that's an option even if the downside of this trade risk has played itself out. He's not a horrible QB, he simply has some weaknesses that amount to significant ones. the big question is will the team work around that next season, or will they continue to insist that Drew's like Favre, Garcia, Gannon, Vick, or that type of QB. He's not. But he's not so horrible that we can't win games with him, at least in regular season.

I guess I just don't understand this 'it either has to be "he da man!" or "he sucks" mentality." Why can't he simply be an average or slightly above average QB who struggles at some critical times? Once this team figures that out, it'll be worlds ahead of where we are now, especially w/ some new defensive faces next season. I still do not think this trade was wise, but even if it was not, that does not mean that Drew's useless.

Let's just hope Gilbride and GW figure out how best to use him.

Typ0
12-22-2002, 08:02 PM
I think you are right wys. Bledsoe isn't that bad like people are saying right now. He's just being Bledsoe and he's definately not the guy you want to put the whole deal on. But if we can keep the pressure off him and put him in better game situations we can have an excellent team and compete for a title. I also will continue to defend the trade we made for him. If we didn't trade for him we would be looking at using that first round pick on a QB right now after another dismal season with many less positives that we have experienced this year. The problem is we have a real shot to put the finishing touches on this thing in the off season this year do we want to go into next season with a rookie QB? I don't think so. Plus the bust factor there are no guarantees with the draft. We know what we got and I am confident we can make it work but we have to play our cards right. Drew has 11 years in the league and he's still young. Plus he's tough as nails. There are a lot of upsides to Bledsoe we need to exploit the positives and downplay the weaknesses and we will win. But today was the culmination of too much being demanded of him and his just being himself.

Typ0
12-22-2002, 08:03 PM
I also think we should be starting Travis Brown next week. If he's not ready to hit the field it's time to spend that roster spot on someone else.

WG
12-22-2002, 08:09 PM
I totally agree that we should start Travis Brown however.

I cannot defend that trade however, which you already know. I was never in favor of it from the beginning for this reason. As to our success next year, Drew may very well hurt us in the playoffs next season. But hey, tha'ts the chance we're left to take. We have little choice.

But as you say, we definitely need to tone down the passing game quite a bit and become a run-first team like the Chiefs. If Drew will find a niche and shed his errors, it will be under circumstances such as those. I'm not saying he will and he has a solid past that suggests he'll always be a liability in the playoffs and even in the biggest of games. But that doesn't necessarily mean that it has to stay that way.

I would say however, that if he doesn't perform much better than he did this year, next, then we should think about replacing him. Again, it was a gamble that's beginning to look like it hasn't paid off. In my mind, Drew had to meet or exceed his best two seasons in N.E., and that clearly isn't going to happen now with arguably the best WRing tandem in the league and a top 4/5 RB and 6 of 11 offensive Pro Bowl starters.

The_Philster
12-22-2002, 08:09 PM
As much as I hate to say it, it does make sense to start Brown next week. That way, maybe we can get a handle on how he plays in this offense and help decide how high to draft a QB.

HenryRules
12-22-2002, 08:12 PM
I think the coaching staff should be able to judge TB's play based on how he performs in practice. One game is too little to judge a QB by ... I seem to recall the Bills having problems the last time they evaluated a backup QB based on his play in a single game.

Dudly Do-Right
12-22-2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
I seem to recall the Bills having problems the last time they evaluated a backup QB based on his play in a single game.

:doh:

The_Philster
12-22-2002, 08:16 PM
:lol: Well, we aren't gonna be in the playoffs this year so that fiasco won't happen again. I'm just saying, and I think Typ0 is thinking along the same lines, that giving Brown some playing time will help us get a handle on how well he's learned this system. I think the worst that would happen is that he has some stiffer competition for the #3 job next year while the best we can hope for is that he gives AVP a serious run for #2.

WG
12-22-2002, 08:20 PM
Well, honestly, is it a real reach to think that we can find some other QB, even Brown possibly, to play far more consistently than Drew has? I think Chandler would have put up the 23 TDs that Drew has and not made near the mistakes and played with far more consistency. If we spend our 2nd round pick on a QB now, N.E. and the league will be laughing at us for years.

The 4 or 5 games that he traditionally puts up huge numbers in, largely against the easiest teams generally speaking, simply aren't worth all the blunders in the keyest of games.

The question is will Drew play any differently if h's say given only 20-30 attempts per game and will Gilbride and GW allow for that?