PDA

View Full Version : Clayton on Browns LT Verba

fanman
06-23-2005, 05:13 PM
John Clayton at ESPN writes an article (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2092239) about why free agents are less marketable after the draft and how they will get much smaller contracts than FA's who sign in March and April. He mentions top FA's Law, Verba, Boulware, ... Concerning Verba, the disgruntled Browns LT...

Though arguably the best player still available in free agency, Verba is struggling to get more than a one-year contract offer. The Bills desperately need someone of Verba's skill level at left tackle, but they don't have the cap room to even consider him. The Texans are the most interested but are only talking in terms of one year. I know he is asking for a huge contract and the Bills already shot down the Verba rumors, but I'm still hoping for a miracle. Clayton thinks it would be a good fit, I personally think its a great fit. Is there any way we could get Verba? First agree on a contract, second work out a trade with the Browns?

I'm thinking its very improbable - we are short on cash, have already filled the roster spot (Gandy), and have other problems to focus on (unloading Henry). If the Bills were even to consider aquiring him, MW would have to renegotiate, they would have to release a lineman or two currently on the roster, and they would have to work out a trade. I'm not getting my hopes up.

MDFINFAN
06-23-2005, 05:16 PM
John Clayton at ESPN writes an article (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2092239) about why free agents are less marketable after the draft and how they will get much smaller contracts than FA's who sign in March and April. He mentions top FA's Law, Verba, Boulware, ... Concerning Verba, the disgruntled Browns LT...

I know he is asking for a huge contract and the Bills already shot down the Verba rumors, but I'm still hoping for a miracle. Clayton thinks it would be a good fit, I personally think its a great fit. Is there any way we could get Verba? First agree on a contract, second work out a trade with the Browns?

I'm thinking its very improbable - we are short on cash, have already filled the roster spot (Gandy), and have other problems to focus on (unloading Henry). If the Bills were even to consider aquiring him, MW would have to renegotiate, they would have to release a lineman or two currently on the roster, and they would have to work out a trade. I'm not getting my hopes up.

If you guys get Verba, he would instantly upgrade your OL, here's to hoping you don't, we need JP running for his life, not standing back in the pocket becoming comfortable.
:peace:

Jan Reimers
06-23-2005, 05:26 PM
Intersting comment about how the Pats do their best work by signing good players at bargain basement prices.

Mr. Cynical
06-23-2005, 09:13 PM
Dump MW and his $9M monster contract, move Gandy over to RT and sign Verba. Problem solved. :D

Tatonka
06-23-2005, 10:09 PM
extend williams to get his number to around 4 mill a year.. and then trade henry.. that frees up 5 million.

clumping platelets
06-23-2005, 10:20 PM
Dump MW and his $9M monster contract, move Gandy over to RT and sign Verba. Problem solved. :D

:shakeno:

clumping platelets
06-23-2005, 10:24 PM
Until the CBA is extended, I do not foresee MW and the Bills working out an extension.

ublinkwescore
06-23-2005, 11:11 PM
Maybe we just offer Verba the remaining cap that we've got, and sign him for a year?

Fat Tony
06-23-2005, 11:25 PM
I think the goal is to IMPROVE the line....

ryjam282
06-24-2005, 06:19 AM
Why would we need to work out a trade with the Browns? Didn't he get released already? :scratch:

Jan Reimers
06-24-2005, 06:30 AM
That pesky salary cap again. We could have had Verba and Law and DeMulling and Thomas and Rivers and Womack and Taylor and. . .

Big M
06-24-2005, 07:05 AM
You guys did see the Cleveland game last year, correct ? That's when Verba played the role of swinging door while Schobel had a field day against him.

Great idea. Let's overpay for that dreck, due to name recognition. Sharp thinking.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
06-24-2005, 07:58 AM
You guys did see the Cleveland game last year, correct ? That's when Verba played the role of swinging door while Schobel had a field day against him.

Great idea. Let's overpay for that dreck, due to name recognition. Sharp thinking.

Wait......I thought Schobel was an elite DE in the NFL, thus the big extension, and no need to shop for DE help.
:lmao:
:sorry:

For some reason I don't remember the Cleveland game. I certainly don't remember haveing a field day........ever. But if he did, he did.
Would it sound like sour grapes if I made a reversal and said "We don't want Verba anyway, he is overrated."? :crap:

Oh well, there's always next year.

HEY CLUMP, can we afford Marcus Price or someone of similar stature?

HHURRICANE
06-24-2005, 08:14 AM
If I say we can't afford him or any big time LT I get chastised for posting it. If Clayton, who is only right about 50% of the time, says it than everybody posts about how we can't afford him. By the way I remember the Browns game and Verba did not look that hot. However, I'd still take him. Renegotiating MW's contract would be great but his agent would be an idiot to do it. IT WON"T HAPPEN. If he has a great year we will be losing him to.

chevyjayce
06-24-2005, 10:04 AM
For some reason I don't remember the Cleveland game. I certainly don't remember haveing a field day........ever. But if he did, he did.

The "D" gave up like 26 yards of total offense and had something like 8 or 9 sacks that day, Clevelands whole line looked terrible.

Bulldog
06-24-2005, 11:27 AM
If I say we can't afford him or any big time LT I get chastised for posting it. If Clayton, who is only right about 50% of the time, says it than everybody posts about how we can't afford him. By the way I remember the Browns game and Verba did not look that hot. However, I'd still take him. Renegotiating MW's contract would be great but his agent would be an idiot to do it. IT WON"T HAPPEN. If he has a great year we will be losing him to.

Williams is under contract untill the end of the 2007 season. How is Buffalo going to lose him?

Mr. Cynical
06-24-2005, 12:50 PM
I think the goal is to IMPROVE the line....
It is. What is more important to the line...LT or RT? An LT is probably 2-3 times more important, hence the reason they get 2-3 times the money. MW's contract is damaging the line. Not saying Verba is the end all be all, but at least he's proven. If it turns out Gandy (or whoever on the current roster) can't block a balloon, JP is going to be sacked like crazy and the offense is going to suck.

Granted there are issues with MW's contract that make things complicated, BUT if there was a way to do it, I would.

HHURRICANE
06-24-2005, 01:19 PM
Williams is under contract untill the end of the 2007 season. How is Buffalo going to lose him?
I thought it was through '06? Either way his contract is not getting renegotiated.

Bulldog
06-24-2005, 01:20 PM
It is. What is more important to the line...LT or RT? An LT is probably 2-3 times more important, hence the reason they get 2-3 times the money. MW's contract is damaging the line. Not saying Verba is the end all be all, but at least he's proven. If it turns out Gandy (or whoever on the current roster) can't block a balloon, JP is going to be sacked like crazy and the offense is going to suck.

Granted there are issues with MW's contract that make things complicated, BUT if there was a way to do it, I would.

No way! Verba is solid, not spectacular, and no where near worth the kind of money he's talking about. Hell, if Buffalo was going to do that, they should have just paid Jennings and saved themselves the trouble. I think Williams was really starting to make strides in the second half of the season last year. Part of that due to McNally's coaching, and the other part due to finally getting into playing shape after he came to camp looking Kirstie Alley. Reports are that Williams is in the best shape of his Bills career and I am anxious to see if he can improve on the second half of last season. That being said, the LT spot is still a major concern and Buffalo is going to have to bring somebody else in to compete for that spot. What ever happened to Marcus Price? I know he wasn't an all-star, but he's familiar with Buffalo's system and played solid when called upon last year.