PDA

View Full Version : At Least 2 9-7 teams will make the AFC Playoffs

WG
12-22-2002, 11:02 PM
3 and/or 4 if Miami can't beat N.E. in Foxboro and/or if Indy cant' beat Jax.

That's assuming that T.B. beats Pittsburgh tomorrow night.

Pretty sad IMO.

Novacane
12-22-2002, 11:10 PM
If the Jets Miami and NE all finish at 9-7 who wins the division?

Typ0
12-22-2002, 11:35 PM
I think the Jets would win because they have a better division record than Miami and a better common opponents record than New England. That's just sick.

lordofgun
12-22-2002, 11:40 PM
If Miami wins next week, Miami wins the division.

If NE wins and the Jets win, the Jets win the division.

If NE wins and the Jets lose, NE wins the division.

Crazy. :coocoo:

Typ0
12-23-2002, 12:52 AM
Thats what I said...LOL.

Earthquake Enyart
12-23-2002, 07:50 AM
I thought some expert said that 9-7 wouldn't make it? :huh:

Ebenezer
12-23-2002, 07:52 AM
I recall saying that at least one 9-7 team would make the playoffs in the AFC...i just did not think it would be a division winner.

Earthquake Enyart
12-23-2002, 08:07 AM
I wasn't talking about you. You are no expert.

Patrick76777
12-23-2002, 08:08 AM
I don’t think it’s sad at all. The fact of that matter is that the two best divisions in the AFC played each other this year. So not only does a team like Denver have to play 6 extremely difficult games against their own division, but they also have to play the entire AFC East. And this also holds true for any AFC East team. These are far and away the two toughest divisions in the league. Now say the East played the North and the West played the South. Well we’d have a different story. The AFC is head and shoulders above the NFC at this point in time. Where GB, SF, Philly and TB get to beat up on bad teams all year, the AFC pounds each other into the ground week in and week out. I’d be very surprised if the AFC doesn’t win the Superbowl.

Come on; let’s think outside the box.

iceblizzard69
12-23-2002, 09:42 AM
The NFC South is the only strong division in the NFC. Next year, when the AFC East plays the AFC South and the AFC West plays the AFC North, it will be a totally different story, and the record won't all be so close. Also, us AFC East teams get to play the NFC East next year. Besides Philly, that is a very weak division.

Patrick76777
12-23-2002, 09:59 AM
Ice see's my point.

Typ0
12-23-2002, 10:09 AM
You've got to be kidding me Patrick! Every team in the AFC has went through a significant spurt where they played absolutely horrible this season. The shortest one was Oakland. But you cannot reasonably assert Miami, NE, Jets or Buffalo are that strong teams. I suppose Pissburg is a regular old powerhouse. It's a common misconception that thinking outside the box means comming up with the most bizzare scenario or opinion. Those teams that are on top in the NFC are on top because they have solid all around teams and execute well every week. You can hardly say that about any team in the AFC.

WG
12-23-2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
I thought some expert said that 9-7 wouldn't make it? :huh:

Surprise and alarm! :D

You must be talking about me there EE... ;)

The thing is that if you had noted the context in which I said that, I was primarily referring to us w/ our amazing 2-4 divisional record and tha there was no way that we could make it due to that at 9-7.

Honestly however, I think I'm as surprised as everyone at the demise of several teams in losing to total non-contenders to risk their chances of playoff appearances and/or advantages. So to that, no, I didn't even expect that more than one team would make it at 9-7. I also don't think it speaks that well of the AFC that no team will make it at better than 11-5 and that several may make it at 9-7.

I see the Eagles, Bucs, or G.B winning it all this year in that order. Then Oakland. Miami can't do it w/o HF adv. They don't play well enough on the road.

Earthquake Enyart
12-23-2002, 10:39 AM
You failed to note that all those teams were playing each other. Some one's got to lose.

If you read Pat's scenarios over the last couple of weeks, they were not outragous. (except for maybe the part about us beating GB).

BTW, GB ran the table at home this year. 8-0.

Patrick76777
12-23-2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Typ0
You've got to be kidding me Patrick! Every team in the AFC has went through a significant spurt where they played absolutely horrible this season. The shortest one was Oakland. But you cannot reasonably assert Miami, NE, Jets or Buffalo are that strong teams. I suppose Pissburg is a regular old powerhouse. It's a common misconception that thinking outside the box means comming up with the most bizzare scenario or opinion. Those teams that are on top in the NFC are on top because they have solid all around teams and execute well every week. You can hardly say that about any team in the AFC.

You’re off your rocker Typo!

For the time being let us look at each teams games against their own conference.

The Eagles had to play 4 games against Washington and Dallas. They also got the NFC West. That means games against St. Louis, Seattle and Arizona. Sorry but I could get 22 guys from this board and probably have a winning record in those 7 games. The Eagles in those games, 7-0. They also have the Giants twice (one on Sunday), Chicago and Tampa Bay. TB is tough and the Giants are good. Still NFC record 11-0, Record vs. AFC South, one win against Houston and 3 losses. Real nice! Imagine what they would have done against the East or West.

The Pack had the tough assignment of playing a total of 6 games against the Vikings, Lions and Bears. 5-1 in those games! So far the Pack has done well vs. the AFC East.

The Bucs had the toughest road, playing only two easy division games against Carolina. Add to that list the powerful AFC North with the likes of the Bungles, Ravens, Browns and the up and down Steelers (tonight) and the Bucs have had a very tough road. The Bucs also had to face the NFC North. Throw in 3 games against the Vikings, Lions and Bears and you have 8 very easy games. Record in those games. 7-0 so far.

SF gets 6 games against St. Louis, Seattle and Arizona. They play the NFC East, Dallas and Washington. SF in those 8 games, 7-0 so far. Record vs. the AFC West, 2-2.

Now, look at the division opponents for ANY team in the AFC West or East. Not a single gimmie on that whole slate! The worst team in either division could very easily beat the best team in either division. Then make them play each other. That’s 10 games against some of the toughest teams in the league.

Now for the fun of it, I’ll tell you how each of the 8 teams did in those 10 games.

Oak – 6-3 (one game left)
NYJ – 6-4
Miami - 5-4 (one game left)
KC – 5-4 (one game left)
Den – 5-5
NE – 4-5 (one game left)
SD – 4-6
Buf – 3-7

Now I ask you to explain to me how you think that these 8 teams didn’t beat the hell out of each other this year? These are 8 solid teams. Some if them I contend are great and I think that playing such a high level of competition week in and week out, has made them better and one of these teams will win the whole thing.

If you give any of the 8 AFCE/W teams the schedules that the Big 4 in the NFC has, you get the same results.

Earthquake Enyart
12-23-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Patrick76777

Sorry but I could get 22 guys from this board and probably have a winning record in those 7 games.

Well, I know Rude is a helluva player. And there are a lot of fat pansies here, so the OL should be ok. But you will have no speed on D.

Patrick76777
12-23-2002, 11:37 AM
Christ, we’d have 15 guys fighting to be the QB, and then Wys would be a locker room cancer, telling us how bad we are after every play.

Patrick76777
12-23-2002, 11:38 AM
I'm big and slow 6-3 240, so I want the Tight end.

The_Philster
12-23-2002, 12:06 PM
I'm big and slow 6-3 240, so I want the Tight end.

You WANT the TE? :eek: And here I thought TDummy was the only one swinging that way with his thing for Tim McGraw. ;)

I'd play SS myself. DB would be my best position but I don't have the speed to play CB.

TacklingDummy
12-23-2002, 12:17 PM
Sorry but I could get 22 guys from this board and probably have a winning record in those 7 games.

I smoke and I am alittle out of shape. Can I be the Kicker? Just on kickoff's thou. I wouldn't want to pull a Scott Norwood and miss a important FG.

Hey, didn't they already make a movie about this? It was called Second String or something.

TacklingDummy
12-23-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster

You WANT the TE? :eek: And here I thought TDummy was the only one swinging that way with his thing for Tim McGraw. ;)

:lolcry: Philster can't play. He would be too distracted by the blonde cheerleaders on the sidelines.

Patrick76777
12-24-2002, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Typ0

TypO, you never answered my post. And Wys I’ll throw this too you also. So is Pittsburgh a “Powerhouse” Sure did go into the Bucs house last night and lay an unbelievable a$$ whooping on them. Tell me one more time how the NFC teams are better because thier fancy records say 12-3 or 11-4 instead of 9-7 or 10-6. Don’t be blinded by the records. The AFC teams had much tougher schedules and they’ll be better for it. IMO, Oakland would beat the hell out of Tampa Bay, SF, Philly, NO and Atlanta. They would have trouble with GB but would probably beat them. I also think that the Titans, Steelers, URRRGGGGG Dolphins, Jets, KC and Denver would all match up very well against any of the NFC teams.

I’m willing to bet anything that the AFC will win the whole thing this year.