• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Brasky
    Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
    • Jan 2004

Offensive development...

Are you guys worried that the offense might take a few years to completely gel as one unit?

I only bring this up because our defense, though it is great right now, might not be the same once this offense comes around in the next few seasons, either as a result of aging/declining performance, or no longer being here.

Look at our key players:

Fletcher- 30
    Spikes- 28
    Posey- 29
    Vincent- 34
    Milloy- 31
    Adams- 32

Even if it takes the offense 2 or 3 years to completely come together, by that time our D stars will be over 30, reaching the tail end of their careers.

On the flip side we have young talent, but who knows how they may develop:

Clements- 25, already good, but will want a big contract soon
    McGee- 24, solid as a returner, but still has problems in coverage
    Edwards- 25, unproven to a certain degree, but this year is his year to breakout
    Schobel- 27, should be in his prime right now. this is a big season for him, IMO
    Thomas- 26, still needs work/has room for improvement

Do you think in a few years we end up w/ a great offense and a so-so defense, leaving us out of the SB picture?
  • jpdex12
    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by jfreeman
    Are you guys worried that the offense might take a few years to completely gel as one unit?

I only bring this up because our defense, though it is great right now, might not be the same once this offense comes around in the next few seasons, either as a result of aging/declining performance, or no longer being here.

Look at our key players:

Fletcher- 30
    Spikes- 28
    Posey- 29
    Vincent- 34
    Milloy- 31
    Adams- 32

Even if it takes the offense 2 or 3 years to completely come together, by that time our D stars will be over 30, reaching the tail end of their careers.

On the flip side we have young talent, but who knows how they may develop:

Clements- 25, already good, but will want a big contract soon
    McGee- 24, solid as a returner, but still has problems in coverage
    Edwards- 25, unproven to a certain degree, but this year is his year to breakout
    Schobel- 27, should be in his prime right now. this is a big season for him, IMO
    Thomas- 26, still needs work/has room for improvement

Do you think in a few years we end up w/ a great offense and a so-so defense, leaving us out of the SB picture?
    We have a solid foundation right now with special teams and defense. Just think of how much better we would have looked if our offense had a few more capabilities that last year. Even if Losman struggles some, if he can scare a defense into protecting his running threat it will buy him a little more time to make that quick dump off pass to Illis or a TE if he gets in trouble. Our offense can only go up from last year. Evans is stronger, Moulds is solid, Parrish/Reed a slot threat and Da Bad Man Willis will keep defenses honest. If Losman can keep his mistakes to a minimum, we are in the playoffs. I'll bet the farm on that!
    Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• mysticsoto
      Too sober for this...
      • Apr 2004

Good questions to consider. We spent almost all the draft picks on offense this year (except for Eric King). I imagine that once we get a monster LT next year, we will probably begin to concentrate on D to get some young prospects to replace the aging ones. As with every draft, us upgrading our D with more youth will depend on finding those raw gems. I imagine we'll pick up a young DT next year and a S...maybe even a LB. It'll all depend on who's available. We might also need to draft a new WR soon to be Moulds eventual replacement. I'm not sure Aiken is going to cut it as he might have been envisioned to do...

Scouting out potential candidates is a never ending job. Those guys work year round and TD relies on them to recommend candidates that we hope pan out and become starters on our team. We've had decent success - but still have room to improve.

Comment

• MDFINFAN
        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by jpdex12
        We have a solid foundation right now with special teams and defense. Just think of how much better we would have looked if our offense had a few more capabilities that last year. Even if Losman struggles some, if he can scare a defense into protecting his running threat it will buy him a little more time to make that quick dump off pass to Illis or a TE if he gets in trouble. Our offense can only go up from last year. Evans is stronger, Moulds is solid, Parrish/Reed a slot threat and Da Bad Man Willis will keep defenses honest. If Losman can keep his mistakes to a minimum, we are in the playoffs. I'll bet the farm on that!
        In the free agency world, it's hard to get the players on both sides of the ball at the same time. The poster makes a good point, it generally takes a OL 2-4 years to gel and become one as a unit, add to that a new QB, young WR's and his point becomes even more clear. Betting the farm on making the playoffs this year maynot be the wisest thing to do..but if your D can keep it's pose, you may have a chance, but then again, the numbers on them in terms of age, could result in a slight decline. That's what I'm afraid of in Miami. We have some talented b/u's at LB, but everywhere else except DE, is nail biting time.

Reach for the stars

Comment

• jpdex12
          • Jan 2005

Re: Offensive development...

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
          In the free agency world, it's hard to get the players on both sides of the ball at the same time. The poster makes a good point, it generally takes a OL 2-4 years to gel and become one as a unit, add to that a new QB, young WR's and his point becomes even more clear. Betting the farm on making the playoffs this year maynot be the wisest thing to do..but if your D can keep it's pose, you may have a chance, but then again, the numbers on them in terms of age, could result in a slight decline. That's what I'm afraid of in Miami. We have some talented b/u's at LB, but everywhere else except DE, is nail biting time.
          The way that I look at it is the same as a few other Zoners. We have two positions (important ones) that have changed from last year. QB and LT that I would worry about the most. If our LT can play at least sound football (doesn't have to be dominating) and JP keeps the mistakes to a minimum (even if he's not throwing 300 yard games) the Bills will make the playoffs. The schedule is not easy but we have added a new dimension to a maturing offense and although JJ was a decent LT he was not deserving of the big $ he received. IMO we are a step above last year with Losman at QB and that on paper makes us look like we should be better than last year. Any better than last year would have earned us a ticket to the playoffs.
          Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

dammit I said this a few months ago and no one listened. We've got about two years people- that's it. Then age and free agency are going to destroy this team. There is no way we can stay under the cap while paying Losman, Evans, McGahee and Clements and replacing the aging players on our D>
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
              Maybe?
              • Oct 2003

Originally posted by jfreeman
              Yes, which is why losing a year last season under Drew was so costly. That lost year could be the difference before the D falls apart due to age and FA.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
                Yes, which is why losing a year last season under Drew was so costly. That lost year could be the difference before the D falls apart due to age and FA.
                I share the same concerns

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                  • May 2003

I have also said that the D is at its peak and, because of age and free agency, it will probably begin to decline in a year or two.

My hope is that the O line gels and JP overcomes his inexperience so that the offense produces this season. Moulds, Campbell and a number of our O linemen are veterans, and McGahee and Evans may be poised to have breakout years, so the O may not be as far behind the D as we think. Losman is really the key.
                  Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• losman2evans
                    • Aug 2002

Our offense does not need to be dominating.If we are going to make he playoffs, it should be ala the Baltimore Ravens style ir the Tampa Bay Bucs style. We have to have very few turnovers, and run the ball well, and have a top 3 defense.

Long term, our offense has a lot of potential, but our defense my get old very fast. I agree with the two year window on our defense. We need to draft very well on defense over the next two years to remain a top 10 defense in the long run, while plugging in a couple of top free agents. I am very interested in how Edwards does in replacing Pat Williams, because that may be an indication of how we will be going about replacing guys like London Fletcher in a couple years.

I really like the way we have focused on making this team a faster team. I don't ever remember thinking of the Bills as a team with a lot of speed, but it seems as if each year since Donahoe has taken over we have become a team with more speed. I can't wait till football season. This offseason has seemed so slow.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                      Moulds, Campbell and a number of our O linemen are veterans, and McGahee and Evans may be poised to have breakout years, so the O may not be as far behind the D as we think.
                      let's hope so!

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                        Maybe?
                        • Oct 2003

IMO, we make our final run with this team as is in '06 (it could happen this year, but I think JP will need a year to get in gear). If we don't do it in '06, I'm afraid it may take a awhile after that since we'll be rebuilding the D. Hope I'm wrong, but I see us having a 2 year window starting this year.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                          • May 2003

IMO, we make our final run with this team as is in '06 (it could happen this year, but I think JP will need a year to get in gear). If we don't do it in '06, I'm afraid it may take a awhile after that since we'll be rebuilding the D. Hope I'm wrong, but I see us having a 2 year window starting this year.
                          I totally agree.
                          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• feelthepain
                            All-Pro Zoner
                            • Mar 2005

I think the bigger question is what will your HC do in next years draft. He is an O guy with the focus on the O in this years draft. I know a poster brought this up once in this thread, but the point is what will MM do to keep your D fresh?? I think what we have learnerd from BB in the past few years is superstar players are no londer required at every position to have success!! Randal Gay was a corner for the Pats and he's nothing special, but with the right philosophy in place teams can win with just good football players and not great football players.

As for your O, I think you will see less output from the O this year. I think there will be moments of excitment and flashes of what could be. But JP will for sure have his growing pains and he would have to be a very special player to rise above the growing pains given your current Oline. I think Big Ben in Pittsburgh was more about a team effort then him being a great QB. Don't get me wrong he's special but last year was rare for a rookie QB. Your team doesn't have the Oline Pitt has and you're in the AFC east not the AFC north.I think 9-7 is as real as could be expected for your team this year and that would be a great season considering where your team stands right now. I think MM and TD should have spent more time getting the Oline improved rather then getting a TE and WR, that would have done more to help JP then anything.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                              Sab and TD are insignificant
                              • Sep 2002

I don't think our Offense will take that long - and who's to say our D couldn't stay consistent and solid during the time it takes our O to come together - our superbowl teams although clearly past their primes were still making the playoffs until Jim Kelly retired.

If our D can perform like that for a few years after our O comes together - we should still be able to make some healthy playoff runs - in that span I can see this team getting a Vince Lombardi trophy.
                              www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

Working...
                              X