PDA

View Full Version : Hindsight being 20/20

HenryRules
12-23-2002, 12:50 AM
Now that it seems to be an acceptable time to review the Bills season, what were your favourite/least favourite moves of last offseason?

My least favourites:
1 - Cutting Huntley and keeping Bryson instead of keeping Huntley and trading Bryson for a 5th rounder. I really hated this move at the time and still do. This hurt us all season long. KG had no faith in any of the other 3 RB's on our team (aside from TH) and the one time he gave one of them a few touches (CHI) it almost cost us the game. Huntley was the only back that showed anything in the preseason and instead we kept:
Bryson - who again showed us that as long as there's absolutely no pressure on him whatsoever and no one hits him hard, he can be a productive back.
Morris - why is he listed as a running back? Shouldn't there be a ST position for listing guys like him and Tasker?
Burns - at least he kept the bench nice and warm for Henry while TH was on the field.
Was there a single team in the league that relied more on one back than the Bills? If not, then why did we cut the only proven back we had in camp?

2 - Trading Foreman for Rogers and signing Robinson instead of keeping Foreman and not signing Robinson. I loved this move when we made it, but unfortunately ER just doesn't have it anymore. I hate to say this, cuz ER really seems to show a lot of effort when he's out there, but his body just isn't capable anymore. And I don't see what Rogers provided our return game that Sammy Morris isn't capable of providing.

My favourites:
1 - Aside from Bryson - all the offensive moves (incl. JJ at LT, trade for DB, signing TT, starting TH - can you believe there was discussion about this?, drafting MW, getting KG as OC, and all others). Last year RB and LC made the pro bowl and no one else was really deserving of consideration. This year, DB, EM, and RB made the pro bowl and a case could be made (to varrying degrees) for TH, PP, and MW. And LC was named as an alternate (although this was definitely a reputation thing and not based on merit IMO). And going into the offseason, only one key component (PP) is in doubt of returning and it will definitely be within the Bills means whether to have PP return or not. Definitely one of the best one-season makeovers of an offense that I have seen in recent years.

2 - The draft. Again, the front office comes up large. MW, JR, and CW all contributed greatly. Add in DB and I love the first day of the draft already and its only been one year. Thomas looks like he will be a good 6th rounder and I like the versatility of Pucillo. The trading up of Denney has so far been a bad move, but even still, leaving the draft with 3 contributors and DB, I've got to say TD won "GM of the draft" for the second year in a row.

Typ0
12-23-2002, 01:02 AM
GJ had a RDG when OM got the PT over the AL.

Sorry man I couldn't resist.

lordofgun
12-23-2002, 08:26 AM
Though he started out slow, I think the signing of London Fletcher was a good one.

I agree with you, we need to get another back in here who can take a couple of carries each game and produce. We're completely screwed if TH goes down.

Earthquake Enyart
12-23-2002, 08:34 AM
How can you say this? Bryson and Joe Burns are great! If they only got a chance.....