PDA

View Full Version : So what does it cost us for Bledsoe?

DIHARD2
12-23-2002, 02:14 AM
There is a chance that New England could be 8/ 8 and we also, should be 8/8. So where in the first-round draft will we be giving up to New England for Bledsoe. Right now, to me, it looks like we got the better of the deal. LoL

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

itsandthings
12-23-2002, 08:06 AM
You really think it is that clear-cut?

Bledsoe was outstanding for 6 games, but he has reverted to the QB he has been for the last several years, which is an average QB who doesn't play well down the stretch in big games.

Since his torrid start over the last 6 games, Bledsoe has been average at best in the last 9 games. In those 9 games he has gone 185-for-328 (56.4%), 2112 yds (6.44 yds/att), 9 TD, 10 Int, 72.4 QB Rating and 31 sacks. In that stretch, Buffalo is only averaging 17.5 points-per-game. That is despite having some of the league's best offensive talent around him, including Travis Henry playing at the pace of a top NFL back, and few injuries. What happens to this team if Henry gets hurt and they have to rely on Bledsoe? They are screwed.

You should get used to those numbers, because they are right around his career averages for comp% (56.8%), yds/att (6.63) and QB Rating (76.9). In other words, Drew has come back to earth and you have been watching what he is for the last 9 games. The first 6 games were the aberration.

Even if Buffalo wins next week (not a sure thing), the pick is likely to be right in the middle of round 1, somewhere between 13 and 17. Last year, that would have landed the Pats the likes of Donte Stallworth, Jeremy Shockey, Albert Haynesworth, William Green or Phillip Buchanon. Those are all good players, and the Pats are likely to get a good, young player who will help them for years with that pick.

What did Buffalo get? Basically, they got a stronger-armed Dave Krieg.

itsandthings
12-24-2002, 11:19 AM
After looking at it, the Buffalo pick is most likely #14. That assumes Buffalo beats Cincy and Pittsburgh beats Baltimore. If Baltimore wins, that moves it up to #13 (the current position). Strength-of-Schedule is the first tiebreaker, then it goes by the playoff tiebreakers.

If Buffalo were to somehow manage to lose, then the pick could be as high as #8, but no higher.

ArcticWildMan
12-24-2002, 11:21 AM
That's very good value for a vet QB like Drew.

I'm not worried about his less than stellar play at the end. The rest of the guys on the offense have all come out and said that they are part of the blame. When they start griping and making cryptic remarks, then I'll start worrying. Until then, I'm not going to worry.

justasportsfan
12-24-2002, 11:24 AM
I'll take a proven FA over a rookie project any day. We just need a few pieces to the puzzle to go all the way. We have the $$$ and I think we'll get the much needed help.

JayWood
12-24-2002, 11:54 AM
The patriots were expecting to get a top 7 pick from us, thinking that we would end the year with a loosing record. A win sunday puts us at 8-8, with people like TD and TM in the front office, gaining a FA QB is alot better than having to wait for a rookie to develop. Also this saves us from having to pay big bucks to a first round rookie, and with the front office minds we have I feel very comfortable that they will get the player they want come the second round. The question is, how are the patriots with the cap, can they afford to pay two first rounders, or do they trade one of the picks?

ArcticWildMan
12-24-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by JayWood
A win sunday puts us at 8-8, with people like TD and TM in the front office, gaining a FA QB is alot better than having to wait for a rookie to develop. Also this saves us from having to pay big bucks to a first round rookie, and with the front office minds we have I feel very comfortable that they will get the player they want come the second round.

I agree. First round picks are always a gamble for the money they demand. I'd rather we spend that 3 mil or so on a veteran player next year who can contribute right away and help us make the playoffs.

DIHARD2
12-24-2002, 01:43 PM
By reading a lot of these comments, it looks like the draft is really a big gamble. So with the free agency, I think it's going to get to a point to where no one going to want the top pick in the draft.

It looks like by the time you get a rookie to where he actually paying his way he's ready for the free agency market so why take a chance and waste all that time so another team can reap the benefits.

It's very seldom, you get a player like Peppers.

I think what's going to end up happening is, the top picks are going to have to sign for a longer period, like say six years guaranteed to the team. This way you're not losing that player in his prime. I know you can do a franchise contract but I believe your limited on how many players are allowed. If I'm not mistaken right now it's one. So how are you going to be able to keep the team together like we did in the past.

I think we got the better of the deal on this one. Don't forget New England got hit with his cap figure this year.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

SABURZFAN
12-24-2002, 03:21 PM
i still think it was a good trade.we could have been stuck with rob johnson.:rolleyes:

Dozerdog
12-24-2002, 03:28 PM
I loved how this played out.

We wound up keeping picks that turned out to be Mike Williams and 1st round should- have- been Josh Reed.

Let's judge this when we see what the Pats do with our pick. If they get the next Bruce smith, or if one of the available QBs athteat time winds up being the Next Joe Montana, then we might have a complaint. But we could easilly have wound up with the next David Klingler, Akili Smith, or Andre Ware instead as well.

Dozerdog
12-24-2002, 03:32 PM
And if given a choice between Giving NE our #2 last season for Bledsoe or our #1 this season, I'm glad we made the coice we did.

Josh Reed is a mid-1st rd player. This season's draft is much weaker overall. I'd rather have Reed than this year's #1 if given a choice between the 2

ArcticWildMan
12-24-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
This season's draft is much weaker overall.

Amen!!!! This year is a QB draft and that's pretty much it. There are a few quality DE's and LB's, but there just aren't any Julious Peppers or Ray Lewis' out there this year. We couldn't have asked for a better year to not have a first round pick.

Our greatest need (LB) just so happens to have the best pickings in FA, so we should be able to grab a high impact LB and address a glaring need with ease.

The_Philster
12-24-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
I loved how this played out.

We wound up keeping picks that turned out to be Mike Williams and 1st round should- have- been Josh Reed.

Let's judge this when we see what the Pats do with our pick. If they get the next Bruce smith, or if one of the available QBs athteat time winds up being the Next Joe Montana, then we might have a complaint. But we could easilly have wound up with the next David Klingler, Akili Smith, or Andre Ware instead as well.

:up: It could be years before we know who won out on this deal. It depends, not only on how Bledsoe plays for us in the future but on how the draft pick pans out for the Pats.

TedMock
12-26-2002, 07:52 AM
Half the first round ends up being a bust. I think they did the right thing. I don't think Bledsoe is an "elite" QB but he's good. The running game emerged and now they can be balanced next year. I'd rather have Bledsoe for the next 4 or 5 years than "potential". Harrington may end up great, I hope he does, but we just don't know. He wasn't great as a rookie. I think he'll do fine but he definately looked lost most of the season. I like the kid but Buffalo needed a leader who the others were confident in. The others believed in him, I don't think they'd believe in a rookie as much. They got their starter, he helped the running game come alive and now they need a big, fat DT on the other side of the ball. I'm pleased.