• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rschepise
    Zoner
    • May 2005

Gandy at LT?

How are we supposed to expect an unproven player to play one of our most important positions. I put my faith in Tom Donohoe because he has done a marvelous job thus far (Despite some unwarranted criticism). However, the thought of Mike Gandy protecting JP's blindside raises some fear. Especially, considering the fact the Bennie Anderson is unproven in pass protection. We know what to expect out of Teague, CV, MW, Moulds, Lee, WM, and the rest of our O. My point is that we need to create an environment conducive for success for our second year quaterback. In doing this we need to eliminate as many variables as possible for J.P. Bennie and Gandy create two huge varibiables in pass protection. Hopefully, a strong running game and the much touted elusivenss by J.P. Losmen will prevent defenses from exploiting us with various blitz packages. Only time will tell.
  • Schobel94
    The Sack Master
    • Jan 2003

Re: Gandy at LT?

Anderson and Gandy aren't unproven, they're not rookies. We know Anderson will provide good run blocking and decent pass protection as he did in Baltimore, and if Gandy stays healthy is an adequate run blocker and adequate pass blocker, much like Jennings, who also had injury problems. There really wasn't much out there in the way of tackles in free agency, unless you want to overpay an only okay player. That being said, it's good that JP can move, and most of the running will still be behind Williams and Villarial.
    Beware the sack master!

Comment

• juice
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by rschepise
      How are we supposed to expect an unproven player to play one of our most important positions. I put my faith in Tom Donohoe because he has done a marvelous job thus far (Despite some unwarranted criticism). However, the thought of Mike Gandy protecting JP's blindside raises some fear. Especially, considering the fact the Bennie Anderson is unproven in pass protection. We know what to expect out of Teague, CV, MW, Moulds, Lee, WM, and the rest of our O. My point is that we need to create an environment conducive for success for our second year quaterback. In doing this we need to eliminate as many variables as possible for J.P. Bennie and Gandy create two huge varibiables in pass protection. Hopefully, a strong running game and the much touted elusivenss by J.P. Losmen will prevent defenses from exploiting us with various blitz packages. Only time will tell.
      UnWarrented Critisizm? TD has been promising to address the line problems since he got rid of R. Brown.. Now he brings in LG Anderson who is a Brown type player, and Gandy who lost his position to Ruben.. and thats supposed to be the serious upgrade on the O-Line from last year? Your correct in that we are expecting an unproven QB to use his scrambling ability to avoid getting sacked by the likes of J. Taylor and J. Abraham.. This could hamper his development and result in another 0-4 start to the season thus eliminating us from playoff contention before the end of Sept.

Originally posted by Schobel94
      Anderson and Gandy aren't unproven, they're not rookies. We know Anderson will provide good run blocking and decent pass protection as he did in Baltimore, and if Gandy stays healthy is an adequate run blocker and adequate pass blocker, much like Jennings, who also had injury problems. There really wasn't much out there in the way of tackles in free agency, unless you want to overpay an only okay player. That being said, it's good that JP can move, and most of the running will still be behind Williams and Villarial.
      Gandy is unproven in that he hasn't played the Tackle position in a couple of years and Anderson is unproven because he's never played the LG position and never has he played there on a pass efficient offense.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• Jayhawk
        • Aug 2004

John Clayton on ESPN took TD to task for not signing a LT. looks like we are looking for one in the draft next year.
        http://www.queencityfc.com/Index.asp <-- Buffalo's Pro Soccer Club!

Comment

• mysticsoto
          Too sober for this...
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by juice
          UnWarrented Critisizm? TD has been promising to address the line problems since he got rid of R. Brown.. Now he brings in LG Anderson who is a Brown type player, and Gandy who lost his position to Ruben.. and thats supposed to be the serious upgrade on the O-Line from last year? Your correct in that we are expecting an unproven QB to use his scrambling ability to avoid getting sacked by the likes of J. Taylor and J. Abraham.. This could hamper his development and result in another 0-4 start to the season thus eliminating us from playoff contention before the end of Sept.

Gandy is unproven in that he hasn't played the Tackle position in a couple of years and Anderson is unproven because he's never played the LG position and never has he played there on a pass efficient offense.
          Anderson is a brown type player??? What does that mean? Anderson is a major upgrade for the running game - which we mostly employ. And passing protection is based alot on technique - something McNally excels at teaching. Even Jennings who many here treat like he's so fantastic admitted that he did learn alot from McNally.

This has been talked about ad-nasuem. As for Gandy, if he's healthy he will probably be fine.

I still wonder if they should consider moving MW to LT. If he really is in the best shape he's ever been as he said, then why not make him earn those $millions that we are paying him. Gandy would probably have a much easier time at RT...yeah, it's a chance, but you have training camp and the preseason to gel as a new rotation. I know MM will pretty much let McNally decide, so I hope he considers it...McNally is not stupid and he will do the best he can to make that line solid. I'll let him decide what is best.

Comment

• juice
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by mysticsoto
            Anderson is a brown type player??? What does that mean?
            Brown type player means he is a natural run blocker, and as Brown wound down his career, he seemed to struggle in pass blocking.. would you not agree that Anderson is a run blocker that struggles in pass protection?

Again TD has been promising that this would be a run oriented offense since last season, but we've yet to see this transition to a run first approach.

"If Gandy is healthy.." thats a pretty big if, Gandy has seemed to stay injured over the past few seasons. "will probably be fine" isn't what TD said would happen over the past 2 off-seasons, he said that the line issues would be addressed and the level of talent would be upgraded.

Why not bring in a player that you are sure would have no problem playing the position instead of someone who might upset the entire line Chemistry from last year.. MW is just becoming comfortable at RT a switch at this point would be too much of a risk in his development, A player with the abilities to play LT, like Verba, was needed to avoid taking these personnel chances..

Gandy is a Gamble at best.. and with the LG having pass protection problems, I'd say the odds on these guys being able to gain JPLs' confidence and be successful have gone way down.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• Turf
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by rschepise

All these years I wanted to use this smilie, and this is perfect.
              Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Tatonka
                • Jul 2002

Brown type player means he is a natural run blocker, and as Brown wound down his career, he seemed to struggle in pass blocking.. would you not agree that Anderson is a run blocker that struggles in pass protection?

Again TD has been promising that this would be a run oriented offense since last season, but we've yet to see this transition to a run first approach.

"If Gandy is healthy.." thats a pretty big if, Gandy has seemed to stay injured over the past few seasons. "will probably be fine" isn't what TD said would happen over the past 2 off-seasons, he said that the line issues would be addressed and the level of talent would be upgraded.

Why not bring in a player that you are sure would have no problem playing the position instead of someone who might upset the entire line Chemistry from last year.. MW is just becoming comfortable at RT a switch at this point would be too much of a risk in his development, A player with the abilities to play LT, like Verba, was needed to avoid taking these personnel chances..

Gandy is a Gamble at best.. and with the LG having pass protection problems, I'd say the odds on these guys being able to gain JPLs' confidence and be successful have gone way down.

i actually agree with juice.

"All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• gimpy
                  • Jan 2003

Gandy who lost his position to Ruben.
                  wrong. Ruben played RG for the Bears, filling the hole left by the departure of Chris V.
                  Adversity doesn't create character, it reveals it..

Comment

• gimpy
                    • Jan 2003

I disagree with your analogy. Brown was a solid run blocker but never dominating at the point of attack. Anderson is a mauler at the point of attack but has trouble getting down field. Brown always struggled against the bull rush. Anderson cannot be bull rushed.

Bottom line: if it was 3rd down and the game was on the line, I'd take Anderson over Brown.
                    Last edited by gimpy; 06-26-2005, 02:37 AM.
                    Adversity doesn't create character, it reveals it..

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                      • May 2003

First, Anderson was a starter at guard for the Ravens, so he is neither a gamble nor unproven. He is huge and a very good run blocker who needs help with his pass blocking. We know exactly what we are getting, and he will be a major upgrade over Smith/Tucker.

Second, Gandy started 20 games at LT and 10 at LG for the Bears over the last 3 years. Injuries curtailed his career. He is big, smart, athletic and a high effort guy. Again, he is not totally unproven but, because of the injury factor, he may be a gamble.

I think we should give the guy a chance, rather than condemning him before he ever plays a down.

You know what else? Who died and left John Clayton GM? I don't really care what that little weasel says.
                      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• juice
                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by gimpy
                        wrong. Ruben played RG for the Bears, filling the hole left by the departure of Chris V.
                        Check your facts again Gimp, can I call you Gimp.. Ruben has never played RG even though he was listed at Vallerial's position with the Bears, he started at LG last year until he was injured and is the projected starter at LG this season.

Originally posted by gimpy
                        I disagree with your analogy. Brown was a solid run blocker but never dominating at the point of attack. Anderson is a mauler at the point of attack but has trouble getting down field. Brown always struggled against the bull rush. Anderson cannot be bull rushed. Bottom line: if it was 3rd down and the game was on the line, I'd take Anderson over Brown.
                        Brown was never dominating at the point of attack, 8 consecutive Pro Bowls and 2 consecutive 1300 yd rushing seasons by Travis Henry, an NFL backup, says that he was a dominate Run Blocker.. Unless you think his strength was his pass blocking, Gimp?

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                        First, Anderson was a starter at guard for the Ravens, so he is neither a gamble nor unproven. He is huge and a very good run blocker who needs help with his pass blocking. We know exactly what we are getting, and he will be a major upgrade over Smith/Tucker.Second, Gandy started 20 games at LT and 10 at LG for the Bears over the last 3 years. Injuries curtailed his career. He is big, smart, athletic and a high effort guy. Again, he is not totally unproven but, because of the injury factor, he may be a gamble.I think we should give the guy a chance, rather than condemning him before he ever plays a down.You know what else? Who died and left John Clayton GM? I don't really care what that little weasel says.
                        Correct Jan.. he was a starter but has never started at the LG position, and he was possibly the worst of the Ravens lineman last year because he struggles in pass protection.

Transition from the RG position to the LG position isn't a small task which makes Anderson an unproven quantity at his New Position

Gandy has started 20 games at LT before the Bear staff moved him to the Guard position where they felt he would be more effective, and that was 2 years ago.. We have no idea how effective Gandy can be at the LT position 2-3 years later, nor do we know if he can stay healthy.

The Bears staff felt his natural position would be Guard before they just released him last Nov.. apparently they question his health as does the Redskins who failed Gandy on a physical in the off-season.

As far as giving a guy a chance we've already done that with L. Smith/Pussillo/Tucker last year and it proved to be a failed experiment resulting in a change in QB and another year absence from the playoffs.. TD has had his chance at experimentation with the line - it's time to make some solid upgrades in the talent level on that left side.

Comment

• Tatonka
                          • Jul 2002

the only reason that ruben started last season is because rex tucker got hurt.. it had nothing to do with gandy.. ruben was a back up in chicago, filling in until he got hurt himself.
                          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• rschepise
                            Zoner
                            • May 2005

EDITED FOR TOS

Please attack the post, not the poster.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                              Too sober for this...
                              • Apr 2004

Oh...okay. When I think of a Brown type player, I think of holds, false starts, penalties, etc.

TD has done his best with the line. In order to get JP, we had to do some sacrifies (which I feel will be worth it) and b'cse of it, there weren't any top linemen we could take to address LT. Gandy is certainly better than a rookie fresh out of college tackle - atleast of the calibre that was left by the time our 2nd rd pick came. Let's just face it - there just wasn't depth at good quality linemen in this draft. If we can solidify every other position but LT, we've already improved. And then next year, when we get a monster 6'9" 340 lbs left tackle (he's the top rated guy - I'm hoping we get him) then we've completed solidifying the line. But there just wasn't alot to choose from. I'm hoping that the move/restructuring of MW's contract is b'cse of Verba - then atleast we have some good competition and may the best man win. McNally will no doubt improve whoever we have, and the good thing is that most of the backups on the O-line can play several positions, so that makes our depth more solid, although young. But I trust McNally to teach well and quickly.

Comment

Working...
                              X