PDA

View Full Version : Make Your Week One Pick

That Guy
06-26-2005, 12:25 PM
Pick the straight-out winners, use scores and/or reasons if you'd like.

Week 1 (Winners in blue)

Rejects at Screaming Vikings
I'm not gonna pick this one since it is mine. However, I do figure this will be tough game as the Vikings have possibly the best O-Line in the league and very good balance.

Aztecs at Goldmines
Both teams have indecision at quarterback (fairly inexperienced Billy Volek on one side and inconsistent Joey Harrington on the other). The Goldmines also have what I'd consider a very weak receiving corps after first wide receiver Joe Horn. That being said, this one is going to be won on defense, and you have to go with a defense that includes Ray Lewis and Donnie Edwards.

Super Dueces at Retro Raiders
It's going to be a battle of the Mannings. At this point in their careers, It's almost impossible to not go with Peyton. I'm going to wait a few games before I pick a team with an inexperienced starter like Eli on it. Add that in with the fact that Reuben Droughns has gone wild this preseason, and it's a win for the Raiders.

Assassins at Radiation Kings
The Assassins are a team that is definitely building for the future with a defense that features Johnathon Vilma, Sean Taylor, Dunta Robinson, Quentin Jammer, Jason Babin and Karlos Dansby. However, very few of these players are ready to star today. That could also be said about RB Julius Jones and wide receivers Kelley Washington, Brandon Lloyd and Tyrone Calico. The Radiation Kings are a team devoid of stars, but have a solid base that will probably put them in the middle of the pack this year. Their season will rely mostly on Jamal Lewis, who will be running behind a wet paper offensive line (or at least that's what they've shown thus far). This one isn't as lopsided as the point spread indicates, but still a win for the Canadians.

Playas at Outlaws
Most are touting this as game of the week... and that probably has some truth to it. Despite a dismal 3 points in their last preseason game against the Rejects, the Playas are still considered one of the most high-powered offenses in the league. The Outlaws are considered by many as one of the most solid teams in the league. I think the Outlaws are just the overall stonger team, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Jags at Bushwackers
The Jaguars are the best defensive team in the league on paper (they spent 8 of their first 10 picks on defense). The Bushwhackers are a team that features young players who may not be ready to star yet. With a below-average offensive line and inexperienced receivers, the Bushwhacker offense is going to run into some trouble. While I believe Michael Vick is going to single-handedly win a few games with his athleticism, it isn't going to be this one.

Wookiees at Norsemen
There's just something I don't like about the Norsemen's trio of Delhomme-Davis-Mason. Maybe I'll put my finger on it at a later date. I see this one coming down to matchups. The Wookies are four deep at cornerback, while I think the Norsemen really don't have the receivers to beat them (besides Mason). I think it'll be a rough day for Delhomme, and a great one for the defensive-oriented Wookiees.

Fighting Shih Tzus at Golden Brewsers
The Brewsers are another very good defensive team. They should do well all season despite question marks at quarterback and running back with David Carr and Stephen Jackson (will this year be their breakout years?). The Shih Tzus team, which sports quite a few Buffalo Bills, has 4/5 of a very good offensive line. Unfortunately, the Brewsers don't have a star defensive end to expose the weakness at tackle. All in all, I think a couple long David Carr touchdown throws are going to decide this.

Rampage at Tarpons
Drew Bennett is going to get his first shot and number one wideout this year for the Rampage. Their receiving corps doesn't have any standouts, but it has up to five solid players who are going to help Donovan McNabb immensely. The Tarpons also have a deep receiving corps. So to me it comes down to QB vs. QB. McNabb vs. Hasselbeck? No contest.

Squirrels at Spartans
The Squirrels are going into this game as FOURTEEN POINT UNDERDOGS! I don't see it. In fact, I'm picking the Squirrels straight-up. The Spartans have a good, young defense... but they also have a very sketchy group of receivers and an average line. Yes, the running backs for KKS are terrible. How that team ended up with Chester Taylor and Emmitt Smith is beyond me. But Chad Pennington to Chad Johnson should be exciting, especially when Pennington is lounging behind two franchise tackles in Jordan Gross and Mike Williams. If I was picking with the point-spread I would definitely pick the Squirrels... and I'm going to take a chance without it.

Devin
06-26-2005, 04:26 PM
Pick the straight-out winners, use scores and/or reasons if you'd like.

Vikes have a great OL, and have been solid in pre-season play. Rejects dont have a bad team by any means, and while I think this one will be close I give the home-field advantage to the Vikes.

Aztecs at Goldmines
I am still baffeled as to why the Goldmines didnt go with Alex Smith in the draft, as Harrington wont ever get the job done. The Aztecs have looked good in pre-season thus far. While Volek isnt great, he lit up some decent defenses in pre-season. He doesnt have a great WR corps but he does have a lot of great veteran players.

As I stated long ago, Raiders have a great team. Very expensive and likely only for 1 year, but very good none-the-less. Manning to Owens automatically makes you good no matter who-else you have. And Droughns has been a monster in pre-season. Super-Dueces have the best LB corp (currently) in BZFL so if they can contain Droughns and put some points up we may see an upset here.

The Assassins will have the team to beat next season. I have said this since day 1. Just an unreal Defense put together over there in Erie, but I dont think they can do enough on Offense to win the game. Leftwich is great and Jones is great but I dont think they can carry the load themselves. While an upset here would not shock me at all because Erie's D has been stout in preseason. I think O'Canada has this one.

Playas at Outlaws
This is going to be a great game (I hope) because I predicted the Playas to win the whole thing. With the Outlaws D producing 10-11 sacks in 2 games along with 4 INT's, and as designed the offense simply creating too many mismatches they will be tough to cover. The Playas however have a VERY dangerous and explosive team at times and again this would not shock me if it ended up the other way around.

Jags at Bushwackers
Can lightning strike twice? The Bushwackers last week proved the Jags team is human and took them down. The Bushwackers O is very fast and very young, and most of all very athletic. And often will probably be underestiated. Bushwackers shut down Jones last game, and the Bushwacker secondary demolished Palmer. Either way this should be a good game.

Wookiees at Norsemen
I had a hard time with this one because I like the balance the Norsemen have. Ultimatley I think the Wookies have a slight edge with thier secondary/defense and will take this one.

The FST have a solid (aged) offense, and the Brewsers have a great Defense. I have been dissapointed with the Brewsers pre-season play as they were one of the few teams I thought would do some real damage. They may still be 1 year away but they will start off thier season right.

Rampage at Tarpons
The Rampage have one of the best QB's in football, if they had one standout at WR they would be one of the teams to beat. I think this one maybe a squeaker but the edge goes to the Rampage.

Squirrels at Spartans
Both teams were pretty inactive during the draft, I am simply giving the edge to the home-team.

Canadian'eh!
06-26-2005, 05:04 PM
Rejects at Screaming Vikings:
Tough call. This is a very good matchup. The Viqueens have the best OL in this league probably. they also have a trio of Farve-Alexander-Muhammed. Farve will have time to throw... too bad he's trying to throw against Bailey and Lito. The ******s trio of Brees-Tomlinson-Porter. The ******s are about 2 injuries away from big trouble. I think this will be a close matchup, with the viqueens OL stoning the rejects DL, giving Favre just enough time to throw and get the win.
prediction: Vikings, in a tight game

Aztecs at Goldmines:
The Goldmimes seem like a middle of the pack team that would have been a playoff team had they not taken Harrington to be their QB. They do however have a quality D, Ol and RB however. The Asstecs also have a top OL, but will Volek get the benefit of his end of the season games stats? not in love with their D either.
prediction: Goldmines, if Harrington can do ANYTHING.

Super Dueces at Retroraiders:
I can only see this game going 1 way really. and that's the faiders way. If the QB was not a very unready Eli, maybe the douches would have a chance. but if this game is even close to the real thing Moss will be screaming at Eli by halftime. I'm interested to see what happen to the faiders once TO goes down though. I don't think their D will hold up in a shootout.
Prediction: Raiders

Assinines at CRK's:
J didn't bother predictiong his own game... but since i have no modesty i will call mine. The Ass's offense is VERY talented but VERY young. they may be a year away. Their D will keep them in games though.
Prediction: CRK's in a close one.

Playas at Outlaws:
Yes... it is the game of the week. After the Playas last preseason game I want to propose a name change: The Posers. I favoured the Inlaws to win it all, and they start 1-0. they are the deepest most talented team on paper.
Prediction: Outlaws

Jags at Bushwackers:
Strength against Strength matchup. The F-ags have a great D versus the dicksmackers loaded O. The difference will be the smackers D is better than the young and inexperienced F-ags O. unless Ron Mexico is determined to give F_L a coronary.
Prediction: Bushwackers

Wookies at Norsemen:
Tough call. I thought the Sookies were going to be very average until they whipped my ass in preseason. I also think the No semen will be better than expected. Delhomme-Davis-Mason are all very underrated. I think the No semen pass rush will be too much for the sookies OL.
Prediction: Norsemen

Fighting Shih Tzus at Golden Brewsers:
The Golden Showers have a very good D and a mediocre O. Carr still isn't putting up big numbers. Stephe Jackson isn't ready to start in this game. the Shi-t Sue's are a tough teamt o call. they have some good players and they ahve some average players. I don't know how good or bad they will be really. Green is underrated.
Prediction: Brewsers on a D win

Rampage at Tarpons:
I can't think of a good smackname for the rampage.... someone feel free tohelp. But I'll go with the somewhat lame Crampage. The Tampons are much easier in this respect. Anyway, you never know in week 1, but looking at the tampons, i see injuries in their future. I like the crampage, and if i didn't make them a postseason pick, i would like to change that now.
Prediction: Rampage

Squirrels at Spartans:
I'm with Devin.... it would be nice if Draftboy or Spaz would pop in and post or something sometimes. I wonder if Eb had to set up their lineups? If he did, maybe it's time to ask if they are still with us or not. Active owners are nice. And since they aren't around i am not blessing them with my loving trash talk names, or an analysis.
Prediction: Spartans

That Guy
06-26-2005, 08:23 PM
Anyone else?

R. Rich
06-26-2005, 09:41 PM
The Assassins are a team that is definitely building for the future with a defense that features Johnathon Vilma, Sean Taylor, Dunta Robinson, Quentin Jammer, Jason Babin and Karlos Dansby. However, very few of these players are ready to star today. That could also be said about RB Julius Jones and wide receivers Kelley Washington, Brandon Lloyd and Tyrone Calico. The Radiation Kings are a team devoid of stars, but have a solid base that will probably put them in the middle of the pack this year. Their season will rely mostly on Jamal Lewis, who will be running behind a wet paper offensive line (or at least that's what they've shown thus far). This one isn't as lopsided as the point spread indicates, but still a win for the Canadians.

Agreed. My defense is okay, but will eventually break down from having to carry the team. I'll give a game effort, but come out on the losing end. Oh well.

The Assassins will have the team to beat next season. I have said this since day 1. Just an unreal Defense put together over there in Erie, but I dont think they can do enough on Offense to win the game. Leftwich is great and Jones is great but I dont think they can carry the load themselves. While an upset here would not shock me at all because Erie's D has been stout in preseason. I think O'Canada has this one.

You've got more confidence in my team than I do. I look @ the Assassins as a 2-3 year project. Next year, we'll still have a lot of the same issues on offense. Not a quick fix by any means, but my defense will only continue to get better, so there is hope.

Assinines at CRK's:
J didn't bother predictiong his own game... but since i have no modesty i will call mine. The Ass's offense is VERY talented but VERY young. they may be a year away. Their D will keep them in games though.
Prediction: CRK's in a close one.
[/i][/b]

It's the Assassins, not the Assinines (very subtle, but you spelled asinine wrong, O Canada). Talent on offense? Maybe, but not much. I consider Jones, Leftwich, and Troupe the most talented, but my WRs will really need to step up this year, and I'm not expecting a whole lot out of them in season one of the BZFL.

I haven't studied all of the teams to be able to accurately predict anything yet, but I do see my team coming out on the losing end of the first game. For the year, I don't expect much; maybe 3-4 wins and a lot of close games, many of those games lost by the mistakes of youth and inexperience.

Canadian'eh!
06-26-2005, 11:00 PM
It's the Assassins, not the Assinines (very subtle, but you spelled asinine wrong, O Canada). Talent on offense? Maybe, but not much. I consider Jones, Leftwich, and Troupe the most talented, but my WRs will really need to step up this year, and I'm not expecting a whole lot out of them in season one of the BZFL.

wasn't meant to be subtle... did you read the rest of my post? everyone got those cute names... Go ASS's!

asinine didn't lok as close so i gave it an extra s... much like That Guy on most of his spoken words.

L.A. Playa
06-27-2005, 01:06 PM
I retired from predictions

RetroRaiders81
06-27-2005, 03:08 PM
Hmm, people are still under-rating my defense. I had to go with Manning and couldn't pass up Owens, other than that, I focused my draft on defense. I proved that I can eliminate a productive running game, and my secondary lead by Barber isn't bad at all. I simmed two games against the douches in Madden, and we each won a game. This should be a real close one, and I wouldn't be too surprised if I lost...which I wont.

Canadian'eh!
06-27-2005, 03:22 PM
Hmm, people are still under-rating my defense. I had to go with Manning and couldn't pass up Owens, other than that, I focused my draft on defense. I proved that I can eliminate a productive running game, and my secondary lead by Barber isn't bad at all. I simmed two games against the douches in Madden, and we each won a game. This should be a real close one, and I wouldn't be too surprised if I lost...which I wont.
OMG.... you sound like the Patriots. We all predicted you to WIN and you still complain about how you aren't getting respect..... :(

With the Manning-TO-Stokley-Droughns connection you will do fine... at least until TO gets hurt, then i don't know what happens. Your OL is solid so not worries there....

Your D is okay. Barber, Milloy, Brookings and Williams are all very good players.... the rest are good but not great. I wonder how much pressure you will be able to get on opposing QB's with that front 4. are you playing a 3-4? because robaire smith is a 3-4 end with 2 sacks last year. same with Evans. so if it's a 4-3 i have no idea where your pressure will come from... if it's a 3-4 you should have put more into your LB's... Trotter and Brooking are good but the next 2 of Wong (ok) and Williams (meh) are going to have a tough time.... they are good LB's but not the biggest playmakers.

your secondry is also descent... barber had a down year though.... milloy will miss 4 games but is great. Gibril Wilson makes a few plays but isn't the best tackling FS. Harris had an ok year.... but i wouldn't want to count on anyone off that GB secondary last year. your starting secondary had a total of 9 picks last year combined....

just in case you were wondering why your D isn't getting much hype.

RetroRaiders81
06-27-2005, 03:29 PM
OMG.... you sound like the Patriots. We all predicted you to WIN and you still complain about how you aren't getting respect..... :(
No no, I feel my offense w/o Manning and TO isn't that great. I feel I have a more balanced defense. I wanted to have a defensive team, but 2 picks turned me into a Offensive team.

:mad: Dont EVER make that comparison again.

:blowup:

Canadian'eh!
06-27-2005, 03:40 PM
No no, I feel my offense w/o Manning and TO isn't that great. I feel I have a more balanced defense. I wanted to have a defensive team, but 2 picks turned me into a Offensive team.

I edited my above post to explain what i meant.

RetroRaiders81
06-27-2005, 03:55 PM
Thats a much better approach. I've thought about the 3-4, but like you said lack the LB's. I'll prolly stick with 4-3. I have my doubts about the D line though. My secondary should be ok. 9 picks combined doesn't sound good at all though. I got about half of that in the pre-season, so I should be fine. Thanks for the analysis. Perhaps I was getting over-confident in my D. Big Williams on the line, and Trotter and Brooking can really hurt a running game though.

Canadian'eh!
06-27-2005, 04:04 PM
Thats a much better approach. I've thought about the 3-4, but like you said lack the LB's. I'll prolly stick with 4-3. I have my doubts about the D line though. My secondary should be ok. 9 picks combined doesn't sound good at all though. I got about half of that in the pre-season, so I should be fine. Thanks for the analysis. Perhaps I was getting over-confident in my D. Big Williams on the line, and Trotter and Brooking can really hurt a running game though.
I agree.... your run D doesn't concern me... it's stopping the pass that i wonder about.... hard to find pressure in there (unless your playing my line.... forever known as "the swiss cheese" line).... and while your coverage should be descent it's not going to get you much in turnovers or big plays.

Like i say... 9 pick by your combined secondary and 4.5 sacks from your starting DE's (13.5 by your entire DL) is what has me worried.

Devin
06-27-2005, 04:24 PM
off topic.

Just predict the games.

Canadian'eh!
06-27-2005, 04:33 PM
off topic.

Just predict the games.
EXCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE ME

stupid mods... ruin my fun.

Michael82
06-28-2005, 09:17 AM

:rofl:

The Retro Patriots. :snicker:

The King
06-28-2005, 09:38 AM
Should be a tight game but I think the Rejects have an edge offensively.

Aztecs at Goldmines
A road win to the credit of the Aztecs front 4.

A Week 1 upset. The Dueces have the secondary to keep Manning in check with the right game plan.

Lack of offensive production will kill the Assassins.

Playas at Outlaws
Both Teams equppied with a ton of fire power. I see the Outlaws pulling away in a close one.

Jags at Bushwackers
The Jags are gonna give Vick a headache. And send him straight to turnover central.

Wookiees at Norsemen
Norseman will be the better prepared team.

The Brewers are not an Offensive team, but their offense is deeper than than the Shih Tzus.

Rampage at Tarpons
This will be another tough game, Tarpons win in the 4th.

Squirrels at Spartans
Squirrels win, Roethlisberger, doesnt have the weapons to be successful against this secondary.

Canadian'eh!
06-28-2005, 10:35 AM
way too many people picking me :down: I'm gonna lose for sure. the Asinines aren't that bad.

R. Rich
06-28-2005, 12:07 PM
Week 1

Winner: Vikings. Vikes have the better team and home field. A win for them.

Aztecs at Goldmines
Winner: Aztecs. Volek isn't that bad, and should do enough to win this one.

Winner: Deuces. Deuces' D will stop Reuben Droughns....and the Raiders.

Winner: CRKs. We suck and they don't. My O makes too many mistakes right now to have faith in them.

Playas at Outlaws
Winner: Playas. Close, until a late game surge by LA.

Jags at Bushwackers
Winner: Jags. Defense and passing game prevail.

Wookiees at Norsemen
Winner: Norsemen. Watch out for Peppers! O will be alright too.

Winner: Shih Tzus. Upset of the week.

Rampage at Tarpons
Winner: Rampage. McNabb carries them to a win.

Squirrels at Spartans
Winner: Spartans. Defense wins this one.

Canadian'eh!
06-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Rich's reverse jinx talk is starting to scare me.