PDA

View Full Version : Wanny or ManBoobs...who hurt their former team more?

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
06-27-2005, 02:11 PM
I think FeelThePain got me thinking in this mode...he feels the same way about Wanny as we did after ManBoobs left.

It seems that there are a lot of similarities between the two coaches....both defensive minded guys, although Wanny arguably had more to work with during his tenure, but not necessarily.

The question here is who had a more negative impact on their former team...

Part of me says Wanny, because he was a big part of the team falling apart;
but Williams never accomplished anything, really.

I was pleasantly surprised by Mularky once he got rolling, and although I don't ever think a rookie HC is a lock to be a success, I think Saban has the right attitude and a boatload of knowledge to bring to the table.
It will be interesting to see how things develop. Which coach was more hamstrung by the prior regime's mistakes?

Pride
06-27-2005, 02:35 PM
You need a 3rd option... Kevin Gilbride... he single handedly ruined 2 years of GW's work.
But by association, I would have to say Williams... since he actually hired and kept gilbride.

Difference is, williams brought a great D to buffalo.. and it was still here when he left... he also hired gray...

Wanny left nothing when he left... except turmoil.

Kolbiss
06-27-2005, 02:52 PM
You need a 3rd option... Kevin Gilbride... he single handedly ruined 2 years of GW's work.
But by association, I would have to say Williams... since he actually hired and kept gilbride.

Difference is, williams brought a great D to buffalo.. and it was still here when he left... he also hired gray...

Wanny left nothing when he left... except turmoil.

GW and Gilbride.... :cynic: :shakeno: :teary: :teary: :cry: :puke:

HHURRICANE
06-27-2005, 03:00 PM
Wannstadt missed the playoffs with a 10-6 record and a weak QB situation. Greg Williams was no better than 8-8. Greg Williams should have fired Gilbride and didn't. So hands down he did more damage!! Miami's season was lost when Ricky failed his drug test and their best receiver got hurt.

Samphin1
06-27-2005, 04:33 PM
Again, Bias but I say Wannstedt. You are talking about a guy, who as time passes, is looking more and more like the lockerroom cancer for Miami. I believe that Ricky ( despite be crazy ) quit due to Dave's unwillingness to spread the offense around as opposed to give it to Ricky 400 times. Ricky knew he wouldn't survive that pounding much more and quit ( in part ) because of it. funny how now that Dave and his staff is gone, Ricky wants back.

Plus, Wannstedt never could make an adjustment mid-game. If the team's gameplan was to run on everydown but the defense put nine men in the box, Wanny's solution was to run it right into the center of them! I think he thought that if by some miracle, they could get through the pile, they could run to the endzone. again, once he left and Bates allowed for some passes down the field, Miami was much more succseful in all facets of the game.

Wannstedt never held anyone accountable. He would just say "player x knows they need to step it up." WTF? What does that mean? Call someone out in public and say they suck for christ's sake. Wannstedt, while he was the GM, also handed out some seriously bogus contracts and deals. His drafts were questionable at their best and downright confounding at their worst.

And last but not least, Jay Fiedler. Everyone knew it was time for a change two years ago but Dave owuldn't let it go. He constantly insisted on playing Jay when Jay could not make the throws ( the few times they did throw ). Personally, I think he sabatoged Feeley last year. Basically because Wanny didn't pick him. He was married to Fiedler and that was ulitmately his downfall.

BillsFever21
06-27-2005, 07:31 PM
We wern't ever gonna contend with the team we had when Williams was here so it's hard to say how bad he really was.

He helped out this team in the long run. He built our defense and hired Gray. His defensive influence brought in a lot of great defensive players which is the foundation of our defense today.

feelthepain
06-27-2005, 11:19 PM
Again, Bias but I say Wannstedt. You are talking about a guy, who as time passes, is looking more and more like the lockerroom cancer for Miami. I believe that Ricky ( despite be crazy ) quit due to Dave's unwillingness to spread the offense around as opposed to give it to Ricky 400 times. Ricky knew he wouldn't survive that pounding much more and quit ( in part ) because of it. funny how now that Dave and his staff is gone, Ricky wants back.

Plus, Wannstedt never could make an adjustment mid-game. If the team's gameplan was to run on everydown but the defense put nine men in the box, Wanny's solution was to run it right into the center of them! I think he thought that if by some miracle, they could get through the pile, they could run to the endzone. again, once he left and Bates allowed for some passes down the field, Miami was much more succseful in all facets of the game.

Wannstedt never held anyone accountable. He would just say "player x knows they need to step it up." WTF? What does that mean? Call someone out in public and say they suck for christ's sake. Wannstedt, while he was the GM, also handed out some seriously bogus contracts and deals. His drafts were questionable at their best and downright confounding at their worst.

And last but not least, Jay Fiedler. Everyone knew it was time for a change two years ago but Dave owuldn't let it go. He constantly insisted on playing Jay when Jay could not make the throws ( the few times they did throw ). Personally, I think he sabatoged Feeley last year. Basically because Wanny didn't pick him. He was married to Fiedler and that was ulitmately his downfall.And the best part of the post above is, it's fact not opinion. The Fins had enough talent to have double digit wins 3-5 years under Wanny even though he was chocking the life out of the O in the process. We could have been so much better had Wanny stayed the D coordinator and never steped foot into the HC position. But that water under the bridge now. We have a bright future ahead of us to say the least.

Bulldog
06-28-2005, 07:51 AM
funny how now that Dave and his staff is gone, Ricky wants back.

Also funny how Ricky found out he might owe $8+ million to Miami for quiting the team, he wants back. Dave W. and his staff really sucked big balls, but Ricky sure didn't help the situation by walking out on the team.

Voltron
06-28-2005, 08:53 AM
I think that GW was a brilliant tactician (look at Washington’s D last year!) but his down fall was his inability to make the quick decision and his management style. The same could be said for Wanny too! The guy is a great DC but his management style was not strong enough to instill confidence in his players or coaches. In the long run I agree with the Fin fans. Wanny left them with nothing and GW left us with a great D.

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-28-2005, 10:10 AM
How is Wanstead put into the same category as Williams. At least the Dolphins were always competitive with him.

My vote - easy Williams

Voltron
06-28-2005, 10:26 AM
Wanstead inherited a playoff team and it was destroyed by the time he left. They had the talent on D he just never instilled confidence in the O unit.

Williams inherited a gutted team and when he left we had the #2 D in the NFL.

Looks to me like we got the better end of deal.

Mr. Cynical
06-28-2005, 11:25 AM
That's like choosing between which eye you want poked out with a rusty spoon.

feelthepain
06-28-2005, 12:24 PM
How is Wanstead put into the same category as Williams. At least the Dolphins were always competitive with him.

My vote - easy Williams
Thats because we have talent!!

Kolbiss
06-28-2005, 01:15 PM

Always trying to stir the pot! :sigh:

I cant wait till the BIlls kick the crap out of you pansy ass team!!! Quit living in the 70's man, those days are LONG OVER.

TedMock
06-28-2005, 01:30 PM
Wanny slowly ruined a good team. Coach Moobs came into a bad situation. At least he left a positive mark on the defense.

Voltron
06-28-2005, 02:43 PM
Wasted Talent is just that.... a waste. :idunno:

I don't see why this has to be about the Fins talent vs. the Bills talent. No matter what talent they had, no matter how many yards Ricky ran, no matter how many complete passes Jay made ... they still never went anywhere with that talent. Now you have nothing but a question mark at QB, a rookie running back who still has to prove he can carry for an entire game, old men in your LB corps and the best part of your secondary is on another team!

You should watch where you throw them stones when living in your glass house.

Samphin1
06-28-2005, 03:16 PM
So its agreed. Both coaches sucked and sucked hard. Both teams are better off wit their current coaches and both sets of fans hate each other...hmmm the more things change....

Voltron
06-28-2005, 03:21 PM
I don't hate all fin fans .... just the ones that don't know what they are talking about. Just to make it fair I hate Bills fans that do the same thing :D

Historian
06-29-2005, 07:27 AM
Williams was a POS.

I would have takes Wannestadt over him in a heartbeat.