• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rschepise
    Zoner
    • May 2005

D-Line

If J.P. Losman and the offensive line can deliver, which I believe they will, then we have a chance. I think our biggest area of concern should be our D-Line. It's basically Sam Adams against the world. Aaron Schobel would be a great complement to solid pass rushing DE. However, Kelsey has a ways to go in terms of dominating at the point of attack and pass rushing. I'm also having nightmares of teams running on us at will in the 4th quarter. Jennings can be replaced but I believe that the loss of Pat Williams will be devastating. I think it would have been wise to go after a pass rushing DT like Chris Hovan. I just don't see how are D-Line will be able to get any pressure on opposing QBs. This will cause us to manufacter pressure with our linebackers which will leave the passing game wide open for other teams (Especially quaterbacks that are adept at handling the blitz). With the quality linbackers and secondary we have, a good defensive line would give us the best defense in the league.
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Re: D-Line

I've heard this Pat Williams thing so often that I may just start to believe it. That is, the departure of a declining, soon-to-be-33 year old DT will absolutely be the death knell for our defense.

Ron Edwards - a big, mobile, athletic guy who has played very well - and Tim Anderson - a high effort guy and a 3rd round pick from a big time program - will never be able to replace Fat Pat

Oh - actually Edwards is a much better pass rusher than the immortal and immobile Williams, but I'm sure as a younger guy, he will never pan out.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• EDS
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
      I've heard this Pat Williams thing so often that I may just start to believe it. That is, the departure of a declining, soon-to-be-33 year old DT will absolutely be the death knell for our defense.

Ron Edwards - a big, mobile, athletic guy who has played very well - and Tim Anderson - a high effort guy and a 3rd round pick from a big time program - will never be able to replace Fat Pat

Oh - actually Edwards is a much better pass rusher than the immortal and immobile Williams, but I'm sure as a younger guy, he will never pan out.
      Bills fans seemingly have zero faith in the ability of young players who are not first round draft picks to step up and fill voids, despite a long history of successful second day draft picks and undrafted players emerging as key peformers.

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
        Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
        • Mar 2003

I don't know about that, but I think most people are worried if Edwards will be enough of a threat, and will improve in his run coverage skills, to take pressure off of Sam Adams.
        "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
        -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          • May 2003

Originally posted by EDS
          Bills fans seemingly have zero faith in the ability of young players who are not first round draft picks to step up and fill voids, despite a long history of successful second day draft picks and undrafted players emerging as key peformers.
          Well said. Some would would probanly want Freddy Smerlas back, instead of a younger guy.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• mysticsoto
            Too sober for this...
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by EDS
            Yes, I've been noticing this too!!! And I find it kind of annoying. With that sort of attitude, nobody new would ever get the chance to do anything. The worst part is, it's not like Edwards is a rookie, or inexperienced in playing in a game. PW was actually out alot last year during the plays. While I liked him as a person and thought his play was pretty good, I don't have the mentality that nobody can do what he did. I look forward to seeing him knock some QBs down!!!

Comment

• DaBillzAhDaShiznit
              • May 2004

While I have no problem at all with our current starting DT's, and think they will do pretty well, I am a little concerned about our DT depth. If/when Sam or Ron go down, they still have to have a rotation guy, cause the big dudes just can't play every down.
              When I see quality players like that DT Jasper from Atlanta get very reasonable contracts, it is hard for me to understand why we can't bring in another DT. We could easly absorb the vet min. contract for a guy like him. We always seem to miss out on the bargains here. Is that a testament to the organization, or the guy chasing the talent?
              "Show me a good loser and I will show you an idiot"
              --Leo Durocher

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                • May 2003

Originally posted by DaBillzAhDaShiznit
                While I have no problem at all with our current starting DT's, and think they will do pretty well, I am a little concerned about our DT depth. If/when Sam or Ron go down, they still have to have a rotation guy, cause the big dudes just can't play every down.
                When I see quality players like that DT Jasper from Atlanta get very reasonable contracts, it is hard for me to understand why we can't bring in another DT. We could easly absorb the vet min. contract for a guy like him. We always seem to miss out on the bargains here. Is that a testament to the organization, or the guy chasing the talent?
                I think Anderson will be in the rotation, along with Bannan, now that the experiment with him at guard is over. I also saw somewhere that the coaches have been impressed with Sape. I think we're deep enough at DT.

Comment

• rschepise
                  Zoner
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                  I think Anderson will be in the rotation, along with Bannan, now that the experiment with him at guard is over. I also saw somewhere that the coaches have been impressed with Sape. I think we're deep enough at DT.
                  This is all great people but it still does not solve our DE problem. DT does not worry me half as much as the fact that we don't have a #1 DE on our roster. Don't get me wrong I love Aaron Schobel. He has a great moter and he is a gritty player. The fact of the matter is he's a very good number 2 Defensive end. He would be a good complement to a Jason Taylor or Kevin Carter type player.

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
                    Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by rschepise
                    The fact of the matter is he's a very good number 2 Defensive end.
                    Agreed, he would be an excellent #2 DE, and is a very good #1 DE. Kelsay better step it up this year though..
                    "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
                    -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• CAbills
                      • Jul 2004

There was some good reports about that Gause(sp?) guy impressing in camp. But I guess I wouldn't expect much from an UDFA rookie at the DE position.
                      Lets Go Buffalo!
                      Boiler Up!

Comment

• ryjam282
                        Offical Billszone Starting QB
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by CAbills
                        There was some good reports about that Gause(sp?) guy impressing in camp. But I guess I wouldn't expect much from an UDFA rookie at the DE position.

I am not expecting much either. If he makes the team and contributes this season then so be it. He won't play much if he does make it though unless there is an injury. I would love it if we could get someone off the streets to contribute though and show these higher priced players a thing or two. I think Kelsay will be a lot better this year too. He was really coming on as the year ended last season.

Ryan Withey
                        Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• EDS
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by rschepise
                          This is all great people but it still does not solve our DE problem. DT does not worry me half as much as the fact that we don't have a #1 DE on our roster. Don't get me wrong I love Aaron Schobel. He has a great moter and he is a gritty player. The fact of the matter is he's a very good number 2 Defensive end. He would be a good complement to a Jason Taylor or Kevin Carter type player.
                          I would take Schobel over Kevin Carter any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Would it be nice to have a Julius Peppers, you bet, but the Bills are solid at DE. Schobel is a warrior and Kelsay is an emerging talent. LAst I checked the Bills defense was plenty good.

Comment

• ryjam282
                            Offical Billszone Starting QB
                            • Mar 2003

I agree with the last post 100%

Ryan Withey
                            Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• ExWNYer
                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by EDS
                              I would take Schobel over Kevin Carter any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Would it be nice to have a Julius Peppers, you bet, but the Bills are solid at DE. Schobel is a warrior and Kelsay is an emerging talent. LAst I checked the Bills defense was plenty good.
                              Exactly. Great DEs are like elite QBs - everybody wants one but few actually have one. The cap hit for these players is huge, as well. Face the facts, Bruce Smith was a once in a lifetime-type of DE. The Bills had to draft #1 overall just to get him. Schobel is an up and coming player and more than solid...he is a #1 DE, just not in the mold of Bruce Smith or Reggie White, but few are.
                              "I'm growing older but not up, my metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck" - Jimmy Buffett

Proud alumnus of the 2011 'Final Four' VCU Rams!

Comment

Working...
                              X