PDA

View Full Version : Sterling Sharpe thinks Jerry Gray could be a head coach?

PA Season Ticket Holder
12-23-2002, 07:21 PM
On ESPN MNC the crew was talking about the minority coaches issue. He said he thinks it's about the most qualified coach at the time. He also said that if guys like Mooch or Holmgren gets fired then it could close the door for head coaching opportunities for Marvin Lewis and JERRY GRAY.

Umm, our defense has played great lately but he thinks he should be a head coach? I think it's way too soon to think something like that.

PA Season Ticket Holder
12-23-2002, 07:24 PM
Some people thinks he should be fired and here Sterling thinks he could be a head coach

ArcticWildMan
12-23-2002, 07:27 PM
That is totally laughable. Gray has done nothing to earn a head coaching job. If we had a top ranked defense, maybe, but we are a long way from that.

Sterling is just looking at the minority issue and not looking at merit.

HenryRules
12-23-2002, 07:33 PM
This is not the first time that I've heard mention of Jerry Gray as head coach ... although its the first time I've heard his name mentioned as a short-term candidate. I've read/heard plenty of stories about how he has the potential to eventually be a great head coach.

TigerJ
12-23-2002, 09:45 PM
Way back when GW hired Jerry Gray he predicted Gray would be a head coach some day. I think it's too early to judge. Gray had no players to work with last year. He had a little more this year but was still saddled with the expectation he work toward the 46 defence, and the 46 defence still requires more talent than the Bills have on defence to be successful. We can't see the inner workings of the coaching staff, so it's hard to say who should get the credit for the adjustments in the defence that have led to the recent improvement. He deserves another year in my opinion. If I were GW I would be looking for a good special teams coach though.

WCoastFin
12-24-2002, 12:04 AM
Believe it or not guys, Although I think Gilbride can be a good coach after a couple of years of experiance, I think Gilbride can outcoach GW right now...sometimes I think thats were GW gets most of his Ideas..from Gilbride.

PA Season Ticket Holder
12-24-2002, 12:08 AM
What the hell does Gilbride and GW have to do with what Sterling said?

PA Season Ticket Holder
12-24-2002, 12:09 AM
And anyway, Gilbride is having a hard enough time getting an offense filled with talent to produce in the last 7 weeks. Last thing I'd want is him to be the HC

timfromjersey
12-24-2002, 08:43 AM
Nobody is going to give J Gray a head coaching position any time soon, Sterling Sharps opinion not withstanding.

Marvin Lewis is a different story. He probably should get a shot at a HC pos.

JefftheBillsfan
12-24-2002, 09:06 AM
Does anyone else think that Marvin Lewis is only good if Ray Lewis is his MLB. He has a lot of talent on the Washington defense, and IMO they have underachieved. JG, at this point at least, well that is laughable. I think Ted Cotrell deserves it more than either of those 2, he has much less talent in NY, and he coordinates a scheme that is not his expertise.

Novacane
12-24-2002, 10:37 AM
:confused: Jerry Gray as a HC canadate this year. We can only :pray: some team takes him off our hands!

Sterling sharpe needs to start watching some Bills games if he thinks JG is HC material!

Novacane
12-24-2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by JefftheBillsfan
Does anyone else think that Marvin Lewis is only good if Ray Lewis is his MLB. He has a lot of talent on the Washington defense, and IMO they have underachieved. JG, at this point at least, well that is laughable. I think Ted Cotrell deserves it more than either of those 2, he has much less talent in NY, and he coordinates a scheme that is not his expertise.

I think you are right Jeff. TC should be the first minority hired. Lewis just gets all the press so everyone thinks he is awesome. Outside Buffalo and NY City I bet most NFL fans don't even know who Ted Cotrell is. It's a shame because he deserves a shot.

justasportsfan
12-24-2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by WCoastFin
Believe it or not guys, Although I think Gilbride can be a good coach after a couple of years of experiance, I think Gilbride can outcoach GW right now...sometimes I think thats were GW gets most of his Ideas..from Gilbride.

Once again, great football wisdom. hehe.

Gray can barely run one side of the ball yet alone an entire team? Sure he may not have the talent he needs but I haven't seen much of gametime adjustments. The best coaches have the ability to make use with the talent they have. He hasn't done it up until lately.

The D has made great strides but I have yet to be totally convinced. Let's wait and see how the team does against the Bengals. If we were able to stop a Greenbay O, then I guess the Bengals shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't accept any less than total DOMINATION against the Bengals.

ArcticWildMan
12-24-2002, 11:02 AM
I'm LMAO at Marven Lewis!!! He may have screwed himself out of a coaching spot for a while. He probably could have had the job here, but he decided Buffalo wasn't "good enough" for him.

Now he's with the Redskins and it's becoming clear that his coaching prowess at Baltimore was a fluke (a fluke called Ray Lewis). He's got the best LB corp, arguably a top 5 D-line and one of the top group of DB's in the NFL and he can't get that team to perform.

He insulted TD and Buffalo, and I hope his ship keeps sinking!