PDA

View Full Version : What would you think of this trade?

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
06-30-2005, 01:19 PM
I know, I know. It's not reality. But in my ESPN 2k5 PS2 game, I am playing a franchise with the Browns, more from a front office perspective--I let the games simulate and just control the roster, salary cap, draft, trades etc.

Well the point is that the computer is controlling Buffalo, and they traded Spikes for Peppers.

Now, I know it isn't realistic, but I also know Buffalo fans have been starving for a DE for a long time too.

Just wondering what you guys would think if this was a reality. It would certainly be a big shock, but if it happened, what would you think?

Personally, I was torn a bit. In the final analysis I think Spikes, in combination with the players we have, is more of a benefit to the Bills than Peppers would be.

Hey....these are slow times, so we might as well speculate.

SabreEleven
06-30-2005, 01:31 PM
1 question. why the hell aren't you playing the Bills? You call yourself a Bills fan?

mysticsoto
06-30-2005, 01:42 PM
I know, I know. It's not reality. But in my ESPN 2k5 PS2 game, I am playing a franchise with the Browns, more from a front office perspective--I let the games simulate and just control the roster, salary cap, draft, trades etc.

Well the point is that the computer is controlling Buffalo, and they traded Spikes for Peppers.

Now, I know it isn't realistic, but I also know Buffalo fans have been starving for a DE for a long time too.

Just wondering what you guys would think if this was a reality. It would certainly be a big shock, but if it happened, what would you think?

Personally, I was torn a bit. In the final analysis I think Spikes, in combination with the players we have, is more of a benefit to the Bills than Peppers would be.

As much as I love Spikes, it might be more important for the Bills to have a DE that can pass rush better consistently opposite of Schobel. Our backup LBs are decent enough that they would probably be okay without Spikes. But getting a real pass rush from the sides - along with solid, stout cloggers up front would virtually mean no running game for anyone and lost of interceptions for the secondary when opposing QBs attempt to pass.

Drive 4 Five
06-30-2005, 01:48 PM
As much as I love Spikes, it might be more important for the Bills to have a DE that can pass rush better consistently opposite of Schobel. Our backup LBs are decent enough that they would probably be okay without Spikes. But getting a real pass rush from the sides - along with solid, stout cloggers up front would virtually mean no running game for anyone and lost of interceptions for the secondary when opposing QBs attempt to pass.

However, we all saw how the Patriots neutralized Peppers in the Super Bowl. Other teams have demonstrated that they could as well. What team out there can say that they have taken Spikes out of the game? Spikes is a beast! He cannot be stopped.

OpIv37
06-30-2005, 02:16 PM
Peppers is a great player but I'd rather have Spikes.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
06-30-2005, 02:22 PM
1 question. why the hell aren't you playing the Bills? You call yourself a Bills fan?

Well, I have played about 5 4 year franchises with the Bills, always with the same result. Win by big margins, Superbowl ring, yada yada yada. Believe it or not it gets old after awhile. And this is on the All Pro setting.

I thought I should try to win with a team that has problems, and roster challenges. I find that I am more objective about players when I don't have as much of an emotional stake in them or the team.

I mirrored the offseason moves, then picked up from there. Funny how easy it was to pawn those Dline guys off on Denver.....

I love the Bills, but I like the Browns too. I lived in Akron for severals years and watched them every week from 1999 to 2001, they have kind of a special place in my heart because I watched the team rebuild, etc.

mysticsoto
06-30-2005, 03:22 PM
However, we all saw how the Patriots neutrilized Peppers in the Super Bowl. Other teams have demonstrated that they could as well. What team out there can say that they have taken Spikes out of the game? Spikes is a beast! He cannot be stopped.
Agreed, he is a beast. Unfortunately, he is usually not involved with the point of attack on another team. He defends the middle and occasionally may blitz, but isn't constant rushing a QB to make mistakes. If we could do this on our defense, we would undoubtedly be #1. Just imagine if we had Bruce Smith (in his prime) opposite Schobel. Can you imagine a defense like that? Wow!

Drive 4 Five
06-30-2005, 03:40 PM
Agreed, he is a beast. Unfortunately, he is usually not involved with the point of attack on another team. He defends the middle and occasionally may blitz, but isn't constant rushing a QB to make mistakes. If we could do this on our defense, we would undoubtedly be #1. Just imagine if we had Bruce Smith (in his prime) opposite Schobel. Can you imagine a defense like that? Wow!

I hear ya. The very thought makes me :drool2:

Jan Reimers
06-30-2005, 03:50 PM
I hear ya. The very thought makes me :drool2:
Spikes is a great team leader and the heart and soul of our defense. I wouldn't trade him at the peak of his career, unless we got more than Peppers.

MDFINFAN
06-30-2005, 05:02 PM

He wants a chance at a ring..that's why homer,,,, :blamelog:

X-Era
07-01-2005, 12:26 PM

The only reason I say no is because I dont want to give up Spikes. If we could sign a stud DE outright I say great. TD could have signed Kearse and didnt. I think we would rather draft guys, again none have been at our spot that would be studs day one. Freeney was there at 4 a few years back but we had other needs and Mike Williams graded out higher, hindsight is 20/20. I feel Kelsay is faster and more athletic than Schobel, but Schobel knows the proper technique and is in the right places more often. Kelsay may turn out to be a steal in the next few years.

So, would I love an Abraham, Taylor, Freeney, or Kearse but I dont want to give up Spikes to get it.