PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable record for 2005 Bills: 8-8

The_Philster
07-03-2005, 05:54 AM
What is a reasonable projection for the 2005 Buffalo Bills?

Any team with an inexperienced quarterback is a risky projection for a winning record or a playoff berth.

I won't be shocked if the Bills finish slightly above .500 in J.P. Losman's first season as starting QB, but 8-8 is a more reasonable projection. The worst projection I've seen for the Bills is 4-12 by Dan Pompei in the Sporting News Pro Football Preview. That could happen, but Buffalo was 9-3 after a 0-4 start last season and it is overly pessimistic to expect the team to be five games worse with a quarterback switch from Drew Bledsoe to Losman.
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050703/SPORTS0101/507030339/1007/SPORTS

BlackMetalNinja
07-03-2005, 06:21 AM
Around .500 is the inclination I get. I expect similar results as last year really. I don't think we'll start off 0-4 again, but I imagine we're in for a rocky start and then they'll begin to pick it up in the second half of the season. I'm not as quick to put all my confidence in Losman just yet as many people around here seem to be. By all means, I hope those that predict good things are right, I'm just not so sure it's going to happen so quickly. My thoughts all along have said 7-9 or 8-8. Anything better would be a definite bonus in my book.

TheBrownBear
07-05-2005, 12:19 PM
I generally agree with the writer. I expect Losman to struggle mightily during the first half of the season. I think were looking at a 2-6 or maybe 3-5 start. If Losman continues to improve and the o-line holds up, then I could see us finishing at 8-8. I'd be surprised if we finished any worse than 5-11. Our defense should get us 5 wins by themselves.

OpIv37
07-05-2005, 01:23 PM
I don't expect much more than that either. However, I grew up reading Bob Matthews' articles and he is consistently pessimistic about the Bills (and this was during the SB years). I think saying that they won't finish 4-12 is probably the most optimistic Bills prediction he's ever given.

Mudflap1
07-05-2005, 02:00 PM
If Losman can put up 2 touchdowns a game, plus a field goal or two, 9+ wins, probably 10. If he can't, LOTS of losses.

Jon

HHURRICANE
07-05-2005, 02:30 PM
Most young QB's don't have the luxury of starting on this good of a team. Matter of fact when you get a 1st rounder QB it's usually because your team outright stinks. This is not the situation in Buffalo. A team that finished 9-7, possessing a star calibre RUNNING BACK, and a defense that stays in tact from last year should do better than 8-8. This team is better than last year when you look at having a healthy Vincent, a mature Evans and McGahee, and the addition of Roscoe to throw to. Plus a coaching staff that has a year under it's belt. This is a playoff team and if Losman looks like Eli after 2 weeks you will see Holcomb sooner than later. Donohoe can't afford to not make the playoffs this year!! I EXPECT A SAN DIEGO KIND OF YEAR!!

That Guy
07-05-2005, 03:03 PM
I was ready to give a detailed explanation...

but it's Matthews. It doesn't deserve to even be talked about.

DraftBoy
07-05-2005, 03:19 PM
6-10 to 9-7 is best we can hope for imo. I dont think we'll be terrible but I think Losman is gonna struggle till about week 10 or so and then turn it on for the end, if we make the playoffs its the wildcard and prolly a 1st round exit.

HHURRICANE
07-05-2005, 04:18 PM
I generally agree with the writer. I expect Losman to struggle mightily during the first half of the season. I think were looking at a 2-6 or maybe 3-5 start. If Losman continues to improve and the o-line holds up, then I could see us finishing at 8-8. I'd be surprised if we finished any worse than 5-11. Our defense should get us 5 wins by themselves.
Our first 5 games are against teams that had a combined record of 36 and 44. 3 out of our first 5 games are at home. Bucs, Saints, and Dolphins are winnable games. The 2 toughest teams we play are the Texans and the Falcons and these are both at home. The Texans scare me more than the Falcons. I live in Atlanta and the Falcons are beatable, especially on the road. I wish we had the Falcons as the season opener and not the Texans. Anyway I think we can go 4 and 1 or at least 3 and 2.

casdhf
07-05-2005, 04:46 PM
Most young QB's don't have the luxury of starting on this good of a team. Matter of fact when you get a 1st rounder QB it's usually because your team outright stinks. This is not the situation in Buffalo. A team that finished 9-7, possessing a star calibre RUNNING BACK, and a defense that stays in tact from last year should do better than 8-8. This team is better than last year when you look at having a healthy Vincent, a mature Evans and McGahee, and the addition of Roscoe to throw to. Plus a coaching staff that has a year under it's belt. This is a playoff team and if Losman looks like Eli after 2 weeks you will see Holcomb sooner than later. Donohoe can't afford to not make the playoffs this year!! I EXPECT A SAN DIEGO KIND OF YEAR!!

It seems the most successful young QBs got to sit a year before they had to do any playing. McNabb, Culpepper... I hope that's all he needed

DraftBoy
07-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Our first 5 games are against teams that had a combined record of 36 and 44. 3 out of our first 5 games are at home. Bucs, Saints, and Dolphins are winnable games. The 2 toughest teams we play are the Texans and the Falcons and these are both at home. The Texans scare me more than the Falcons. I live in Atlanta and the Falcons are beatable, especially on the road. I wish we had the Falcons as the season opener and not the Texans. Anyway I think we can go 4 and 1 or at least 3 and 2.

Your high if you think the Falcons are more beatable than the Texans. I also live in Atlanta and the Falcons are much harder to beat than the Texans. Who do the Texans have on offense? David Carr and Andre Johnson, there RB's are subpar and the OL has holes. Atlanta has the best running game in the NFL with their triple threat of Vick, Dunn, and Duckett. They got one of the top D's in the game (not that we dont). I think we lose one to the Falcons, Houston will be a win.

HHURRICANE
07-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Your high if you think the Falcons are more beatable than the Texans. I also live in Atlanta and the Falcons are much harder to beat than the Texans. Who do the Texans have on offense? David Carr and Andre Johnson, there RB's are subpar and the OL has holes. Atlanta has the best running game in the NFL with their triple threat of Vick, Dunn, and Duckett. They got one of the top D's in the game (not that we dont). I think we lose one to the Falcons, Houston will be a win.
The Texans swept the Jaguars and Beat KC. The same KC team that pounded the Falcons. Domanick Davis ran for 1100 yards last year. Yes, the Falcons are the better team but I think our D stacks up better against the Falcons. The Texans beat alot of teams that they are not supposed to beat. Either way I think we can get to a (4-1) start.