PDA

View Full Version : Looking to the offseason

PA Season Ticket Holder
12-24-2002, 02:06 AM
I think the first thing we should do is try and sign some our key players coming up for FA in 2003

We should try and get Winfield a contract extension this year. And either Jennings and Sullivan too, or even both. We could probably get good deals on them 2 if we go for it this year. After that we can go from there with what we have left.

The price is gonna be too high to bring Peerless back. Unless we can get a highway robbery contract on a decent WR in FA, I think we should use our 2nd or 3rd round pick on a WR if there is one there that's worth it. If we can find a viable WR there we could have a good tandem wrapped up for the next 4 years. Hopefully we can get a decent cheap WR in FA though so we don't have to use a draft pick on one.

Get rid of Reimersma and Watson. Have Robinson go to the vet min. or dump him. He sucks but he is still worth having around on the bench over some late round rookie scrub.

I don't know if we should try and sign Newman or not. He hasn't shown much. It basically depends on what price he's looking for. It will probably take close to 2 million to sign him. I think we could do better with using a 2nd RD pick on one at a cheaper rate. Go for a competent LB in FA and grab another one early in the draft.

We need our defensive help thorugh FA. We need somebody who can step in immediately and produce. Who knows how Marcus Jones will pan out. We need to go for a LB and DE in FA. I don't think there will be any major DT's out there this year so the best we can hope for is a decent 2nd Tier DT. If it's not a major improvement over Edwards then don't pursue it though.

We need to fill holes but we can't spend money foolishly. We can't go on a shopping spree in FA just because we have a need in that position. You'll find youself wasting more moeny on a FA when you could've gotten about the same productivity in the draft.

If we pick up our LB and DE in FA then I think that this is how we should approach the draft....

Rd 2- WR or LB(Unless we find a decent cheap WR in FA) Draft whichever has the better player at that position.

Rd 3- See round 2 and draft the other one

Rd 4- TE and RB. We'll probably get a 4th RD. conditional for Cowart. It'd be nice if we got a 3rd though. If Thomas can pan out

Rd 5- CB. Hopefully Thomas will pan out and it won't be a major need. If not then hopefully there will be a cheap veteran in FA that won't get burned every play like Watson. If TD isn't planning on paying for Winfield next year we should draft a CB in the 2nd round

Rds 6 and 7. These last 2 rounds should be for some possible ST warriors that could be used as depth on our roster as well.

If we pick up that WR in FA the draft would have minor changes

Rd 2- LB all the way

Rd 3- RB

Rd 4- TE

The rest the same as before.

We won't be brining Bryson back. We need a competent RB in case Travis goes down and also to run a few plays to spare relief for Travis.