X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

A study of depth before training camp

As we enter early July, most of the attention will turn to signing rookie draft picks and the anticipation about the futures of players with franchise tags and no long-term contracts. I prefer to take a long, hard look at something more important to a team's success in 2005.
    Somehow, some way all of the draft picks will eventually sign, and their immediate impact around the NFL is less than significant when you consider about 20 rookies will start on opening day and there are 704 opening-day starters in the NFL. That's less than five percent of the starters. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8619987
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

answering the points

1. Kelly Holcomb-I feel good about him coming in to play if something were to happen to JP...he's performed well in the past
    2. Shaud Williams is our top backup at RB after Travis is gone and he's more of a scatback/3rd down type of player than an every-down player
    3. Roscoe Parrish/Josh Reed/Sam Aiken...all question marks at this point, IMO...Parrish a rookie, Reed's production has hardly merited where he was selected, Aiken hasn't had the opportunities on the field to show much so far.
    4. Euhus isn't that much of a dropoff from Campbell and could be a step up as far as receiving skills given time. Neufeld has shown flashes in his limited times on offense
    5. McFarland, Peters, L. Smith...I don't think any DEs in the league will lose sleep if they have to face any of them. If none of them step up in camp, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone brought in if possible.
    6. Ryan Tucker has performed well at G and C in the past...not a major issue, IMO
    7. With the rotation we've been using at LE with Kelsay and Denney, we should be ok...but neither will be replacing Schobel's production if something were to happen at RE
    8. No one backing up Edwards and Adams has received any real NFL playing time...a definite concern
    9. Both Kevin Thomas and Jabari Greer have stepped up in times of need...I see no reason they can't continue to
    10.Milloy and Vincent are strong veteran presences in the secondary...and they would be hard to replace by Wire and Baker...Baker showed flashes in his time as a starter and Wire is here for his hitting abilities on special teams...not for the coverage required at SS.
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• tampabay25690
      • Feb 2004

Re: A study of depth before training camp

Great way of looking at things...Nice post!!!
      GO Gators!!!!!!
      GO GATORS!!

Comment

Working...
      X