PDA

View Full Version : Could cracks appear in NFL's labor agreement?

The_Philster
07-05-2005, 10:20 AM
On May 6, 1993, owners and players of the National Football League entered into a new collective bargaining agreement. Labor peace has been a constant in the NFL since, making the NFL a model for other North American professional sports league either to be followed or envied. If the league and the NFL players association don't extend the CBA by February 2007, that model will begin to crack. The current agreement runs through the 2007 season, but if no extension is signed before that February the 2007 season becomes an uncapped year for salaries. http://www.nbcactionnews.com/kshb/sports/article/0,1925,KSHB_9430_3902897,00.html

The league has over a year and a half to get this signed. Personally, I think it's too early to get really worried about it..talks were ongoing during the last round of meetings and I think something will get done before this time next year

DraftBoy
07-05-2005, 11:16 AM
Id look for another long term CBA agreement within the next calendar year

OpIv37
07-05-2005, 11:18 AM
How does it work? Does every owner have to approve of the arrangement? Dan Snyder really scares me. First, the Redskins are the top money-earning franchise in the NFL so he will strongly oppose any revenue sharing because he will be the biggest loser. Second, the Redskins cap situation is a train wreck- he'll lobby hard for an uncapped year because his team has enough money to pay off all those obligations during that year and basically get out of all the fiscal mismanagement that has happened there over the last 3 years.

don137
07-05-2005, 11:34 AM
I think the most profitable teams scare me with the upcoming CBA (Patriots, Dallas, Philly, Washington, etc.). Agree or disagree with those teams they are looking out for the best interest of their pocket books over the well being of the league.
Like OpIv37 it almost seem like Snyder is banking on 2007 to be an uncapped year.

helmetguy
07-05-2005, 11:44 AM
I believe 3/4 of the owners must approve the CBA.

DraftBoy
07-05-2005, 02:38 PM
Most of the owners are smart enough to not let one or two renegade owner's ruin the league. Snyder scares me as does Jones but Kraft and the Philly owner are smart enough to know that they can succeed in the current state of the NFL and dont need an uncapped year to let other teams catch up to them. I doubt passing a new CBA will be any issue. Speaking of issues, what are gonna be the big ones this time around? Instant Replay? ......