PDA

View Full Version : NFL.com AFC/NFC Breakdown

justasportsfan
07-07-2005, 12:16 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8625255

Buffalo Bills
New starting quarterback J.P. Losman has a chance to be this year's Ben Roethlisberger. Losman was rated above Eli Manning going into the 2003 college season but he didn't have a good senior year at Tulane. He'll be helped by Bills quarterbacks coach Sam Wyche, who is one of best at developing young passers. Running back Willis McGahee and receivers Eric Moulds and Lee Evans are big-time offensive playmakers, but there are questions about who will play left tackle. Defensive coordinator Jerry Gray coached the league's second-ranked defense in 2004 and will be a head coach one day. Bobby April does a great job with the best special teams in the league.

Predictions
AFC playoff teams: Buffalo, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, New England, Pittsburgh and San Diego

Leading passer: Peyton Manning, Indianapolis

Leading rusher: LaDainian Tomlinson, San Diego

Receptions leader: Randy Moss, Oakland

Rookies of the Year: Ronnie Brown, Miami; Mark Clayton, Baltimore

AFC MVP: Tom Brady, New England

Hope he's right about the playoffs.

Drive 4 Five
07-07-2005, 12:38 PM
I feel pretty good about it. There are obviously many doubters and rightfully so, but those people simply fail to understand how much of a liability Bledose really was. We have a solid team and there is no reason to think that we will not be better than we were last year even with a first year QB. Playoffs? I truly believe we wil be a better team than last year. Is that enough to get us into the postseason? Who knows, but I know one thing for certain. This team will be better and we are definitely on the way up. That said, I am very very excited about the prospect and already have purchased my "Sunday Ticket" subscription.

:gobills:

MDFINFAN
07-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Well you have the D to get you to the playoffs, ? at stopping the run without Pat. JP is a ? just like anyother rookie starting for the first time. LT is huge in this equation..could make it hard for the kid or keep the kid settled..but the team overall has the talent to make a run for it.

Ed
07-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Well you have the D to get you to the playoffs, ? at stopping the run without Pat. JP is a ? just like anyother rookie starting for the first time. LT is huge in this equation..could make it hard for the kid or keep the kid settled..but the team overall has the talent to make a run for it.
Stopping the run is never a big concern when you have Sam Adams at NT. And a 320 lb Ron Edwards isn't exactly going to get pushed around.

There are really no questions or weaknesses on defense.

Drive 4 Five
07-07-2005, 01:49 PM
Stopping the run is never a big concern when you have Sam Adams at NT. And a 320 lb Ron Edwards isn't exactly going to get pushed around.

I would say that the only weakness is the Pass Rush. The "exotic" schemes we use to rush the passer (linebackers & defensive backs) end up killing us against the better teams with the smarter coordinators. Our inability to apply consistent pressure with just our front four will hurt us when it really counts. A good example would be the Patriots who seem to make our defensive schemes appear laughable at best, Steelers too. If we can correct this, we will be one fearsome ass unti and that is saying alot because we are already pretty damn good on this side of the ball.

Drive 4 Five
07-07-2005, 01:52 PM

I know this is stated over and over but McNally is one hell of a coach. The line does not worry me as much as it does everyone else.

In fact Phish fans are the only ones who should be concerned because we are going to pound you guys this year.

:peace:

mysticsoto
07-07-2005, 01:54 PM
I would say that the only weakness is the Pass Rush. The "exotic" schemes we use to rush the passer (linebackers & defensive backs) end up killing us against the better teams with the smarter coordinators. Our inability to apply consistent pressure with just our front four will hurt us when it really counts. A good example would be the Patriots who seem to make our defensive schemes appear laughable at best, Steelers too. If we can correct this, we will be one fearsome ass unti and that is saying alot because we are already pretty damn good on this side of the ball.
I must agree with this. If we had a slightly better/consistent pass rush, we would be rated #1. Instead, there are times when we put alot of pressure on the secondary to stop the passes and they do a decent job, but occasionally, you get things like the ending of the Jacksonville game last year as a result of the inconsistent pass rush.

Drive 4 Five
07-07-2005, 02:08 PM
I must agree with this. If we had a slightly better/consistent pass rush, we would be rated #1. Instead, there are times when we put alot of pressure on the secondary to stop the passes and they do a decent job, but occasionally, you get things like the ending of the Jacksonville game last year as a result of the inconsistent pass rush.

Right? Then you're sitting there after the game thinking WTF?! We have the League's #2 ranked Defense...WTF?! Well that's why...

MDFINFAN
07-07-2005, 02:33 PM

I disagree, Pat Williams was a monster, Adams has never impressed me, and you know how I feel about him from last year's posting..He's only older now and less mobile..Ron Edwards is more of an unknown at this point to me. Maybe he's better than I think. So until it's proven on the field, without Pat, your run D is suspect...I like just about everyone else.

MDFINFAN
07-07-2005, 02:34 PM
I know this is stated over and over but McNally is one hell of a coach. The line does not worry me as much as it does everyone else.

In fact Phish fans are the only ones who should be concerned because we are going to pound you guys this year.

:peace:

On the field, that's where it's proven.... McNally can only do so much, the personnel have to do the rest..it's like Houck, he's a good coach, but the people on the field have to execute...period.

madness
07-07-2005, 02:59 PM
I disagree, Pat Williams was a monster, Adams has never impressed me, and you know how I feel about him from last year's posting..He's only older now and less mobile..Ron Edwards is more of an unknown at this point to me. Maybe he's better than I think. So until it's proven on the field, without Pat, your run D is suspect...I like just about everyone else.

The Bills brass seems confident in Edwards. They wouldn't have let Pat walk(and not bring in a replacement) if Edwards was that big of a question mark.

I also don't think a team would risk a playoff birth on plugging a hole with an unknown talent.

mysticsoto
07-07-2005, 03:26 PM
PW was great, but I think you are shortchanging Adams.

Why is Ron Edwards an unknown to you? He played a significant portion of plays last year!!! He's not a rookie, and he's not inexperienced. He's bigger and faster than Pat, he's younger and has more stamina....Pat was being taken out on alot of plays last year. That shows that he just doesn't have the stamina to play a full game anymore and Edwards was playing a significant amt for him. There's no way you want to increase pay to a DT that is on his way down. I love PW, but had he truly followed what he said about giving Buffalo a discount, he would still be here.

Drive 4 Five
07-07-2005, 03:48 PM
Gaining Williams will help the Vikings more than losing him will hurt the Bills. I trust the Bills brass to get it right and in this case they were right in not breaking the bank for an aging DT who was asking for way too much money. If you're the Vikings and and you are close to making a serious run for a championship (I think they're close), it is an outstanding addition to their team and they have the cap room to do it. Besides, you draft to start your young players sooner than anticipated for situations just like this.

HHURRICANE
07-07-2005, 04:16 PM
I agree, the better teams pick up our schemes and exploit our secondary. As good as our defense is we could use a "Bruce Smith" type pass rusher.

MDFINFAN
07-07-2005, 05:16 PM
The Bills brass seems confident in Edwards. They wouldn't have let Pat walk(and not bring in a replacement) if Edwards was that big of a question mark.

I also don't think a team would risk a playoff birth on plugging a hole with an unknown talent.

yes they would..economics is economics, just like the phins letting Surtain go, it wasn't because they wanted to...reality check, your brass is hoping edwards can handle the job, they have no assurances. He did spot work last year, that's a little different that doing it full time.

juice
07-07-2005, 07:06 PM
I disagree, Pat Williams was a monster, Adams has never impressed me, and you know how I feel about him from last year's posting..He's only older now and less mobile..Ron Edwards is more of an unknown at this point to me. Maybe he's better than I think. So until it's proven on the field, without Pat, your run D is suspect...I like just about everyone else.I wouldn't call Pat Williams a Monster, he was a solid Tackle and complemented Adams well but I cant say he's a top 10 Tackle in the NFL.. Sam Adams on the other hand Takes up huge amounts of space in the middle benefiting the LBers, and he's got Cat like quickness and the ability to make himself a disruptive force consistantly getting into the backfield.. and he's a top 10 League DT.

I agree, the better teams pick up our schemes and exploit our secondary. As good as our defense is we could use a "Bruce Smith" type pass rusher.This secondary will incude a healthy Milloy and Vincent as well as a battle tested McGee the best unit in the AFC-E and possibly the entire League.. But you are correct that this Defense lacks pressure from the Ends - Schobel needs to earn that big contract that he signed last year and Gray needs to find a way to get Posey involved in this aspect which was the strength of his game in Houston.

FlyingDutchman
07-07-2005, 10:11 PM

I guess Pro Bowls dont impress you :shocked:

Ed
07-07-2005, 11:35 PM
No, Sam Adams is a monster, and if you don't agree then it's because you didn't watch enough Bills games last year. I don't care what your feelings were about him last year because you were obviously wrong. You say he's older now and less mobile, well guess what, Pat Williams is even older. If you really want to know what an old slow DT is like, look no farther then Keith Traylor.

Sam Adams went to the probowl last year and was flat out dominant in certain games. Say what you want about your predictions for this year, but if you can't recognize how good Sam Adams was last year, then your football opinions aren't worth much.

colin
07-08-2005, 08:02 AM
i am going to miss big pat, but edwards is prolly ready to step up, the same way pat did when we got rid of washington (our d sucked that year, but pat shined).

what REALLY killed last year was not our pass rush (which could be better), but the fact that vincent and milloy were out for so much. with wire and whoever we rotated in at FS just opening up the middle, it made our 3rd down D look worse that it was. we wouldn't send so many pass rushing that we left holes, but we had had holes because of a lack of talent in the middle.

with one great and one decent (and improving) CB, two hard hitting savy and very good safteys really have a chance to shine. throw in london, posey and spikes (none are terrible in pass rush or coverage, and TKO is the best in the NFL) and 20+ sacks from our DEs, i think our d will be even better this year against the pass

Tatonka
07-08-2005, 09:25 AM
I wouldn't call Pat Williams a Monster, he was a solid Tackle and complemented Adams well but I cant say he's a top 10 Tackle in the NFL.. Sam Adams on the other hand Takes up huge amounts of space in the middle benefiting the LBers, and he's got Cat like quickness and the ability to make himself a disruptive force consistantly getting into the backfield.. and he's a top 10 League DT.

This secondary will incude a healthy Milloy and Vincent as well as a battle tested McGee the best unit in the AFC-E and possibly the entire League.. But you are correct that this Defense lacks pressure from the Ends - Schobel needs to earn that big contract that he signed last year and Gray needs to find a way to get Posey involved in this aspect which was the strength of his game in Houston.

christ.. what is the world coming to... i agree with juice... again. :blowup:

your way off base on Sam and on Pat, MDfin.

MDFINFAN
07-08-2005, 12:36 PM
christ.. what is the world coming to... i agree with juice... again. :blowup:

your way off base on Sam and on Pat, MDfin.

I watched Adams get knocked down by smaller centers last year, plus I went to the Raven's ps game and watched him get knocked around.. Pat was much better to me..I still think he was the plug in your DL..adams took up space but wasn't a Pat to me..and that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.