X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

NFL.com AFC/NFC Breakdown

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Buffalo Bills
    New starting quarterback J.P. Losman has a chance to be this year's Ben Roethlisberger. Losman was rated above Eli Manning going into the 2003 college season but he didn't have a good senior year at Tulane. He'll be helped by Bills quarterbacks coach Sam Wyche, who is one of best at developing young passers. Running back Willis McGahee and receivers Eric Moulds and Lee Evans are big-time offensive playmakers, but there are questions about who will play left tackle. Defensive coordinator Jerry Gray coached the league's second-ranked defense in 2004 and will be a head coach one day. Bobby April does a great job with the best special teams in the league.

Predictions
    AFC playoff teams: Buffalo, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, New England, Pittsburgh and San Diego

Leading passer: Peyton Manning, Indianapolis

Leading rusher: LaDainian Tomlinson, San Diego

Receptions leader: Randy Moss, Oakland

Rookies of the Year: Ronnie Brown, Miami; Mark Clayton, Baltimore

AFC MVP: Tom Brady, New England

Hope he's right about the playoffs.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/
  • bills_fan_atic
    • May 2003

Re: NFL.com AFC/NFC Breakdown

I feel pretty good about it. There are obviously many doubters and rightfully so, but those people simply fail to understand how much of a liability Bledose really was. We have a solid team and there is no reason to think that we will not be better than we were last year even with a first year QB. Playoffs? I truly believe we wil be a better team than last year. Is that enough to get us into the postseason? Who knows, but I know one thing for certain. This team will be better and we are definitely on the way up. That said, I am very very excited about the prospect and already have purchased my "Sunday Ticket" subscription.

Comment

• MDFINFAN
      • Jun 2003

Well you have the D to get you to the playoffs, ? at stopping the run without Pat. JP is a ? just like anyother rookie starting for the first time. LT is huge in this equation..could make it hard for the kid or keep the kid settled..but the team overall has the talent to make a run for it.

Reach for the stars

Comment

• Ed
        Dude
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
        Well you have the D to get you to the playoffs, ? at stopping the run without Pat. JP is a ? just like anyother rookie starting for the first time. LT is huge in this equation..could make it hard for the kid or keep the kid settled..but the team overall has the talent to make a run for it.
        Stopping the run is never a big concern when you have Sam Adams at NT. And a 320 lb Ron Edwards isn't exactly going to get pushed around.

There are really no questions or weaknesses on defense.

Comment

• bills_fan_atic
          • May 2003

Originally posted by Ed
          Stopping the run is never a big concern when you have Sam Adams at NT. And a 320 lb Ron Edwards isn't exactly going to get pushed around.

I would say that the only weakness is the Pass Rush. The "exotic" schemes we use to rush the passer (linebackers & defensive backs) end up killing us against the better teams with the smarter coordinators. Our inability to apply consistent pressure with just our front four will hurt us when it really counts. A good example would be the Patriots who seem to make our defensive schemes appear laughable at best, Steelers too. If we can correct this, we will be one fearsome ass unti and that is saying alot because we are already pretty damn good on this side of the ball.

Comment

• bills_fan_atic
            • May 2003

I know this is stated over and over but McNally is one hell of a coach. The line does not worry me as much as it does everyone else.

In fact Phish fans are the only ones who should be concerned because we are going to pound you guys this year.

Comment

• mysticsoto
              Too sober for this...
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by bills_fan_atic
              I would say that the only weakness is the Pass Rush. The "exotic" schemes we use to rush the passer (linebackers & defensive backs) end up killing us against the better teams with the smarter coordinators. Our inability to apply consistent pressure with just our front four will hurt us when it really counts. A good example would be the Patriots who seem to make our defensive schemes appear laughable at best, Steelers too. If we can correct this, we will be one fearsome ass unti and that is saying alot because we are already pretty damn good on this side of the ball.
              I must agree with this. If we had a slightly better/consistent pass rush, we would be rated #1. Instead, there are times when we put alot of pressure on the secondary to stop the passes and they do a decent job, but occasionally, you get things like the ending of the Jacksonville game last year as a result of the inconsistent pass rush.

Comment

• bills_fan_atic
                • May 2003

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                I must agree with this. If we had a slightly better/consistent pass rush, we would be rated #1. Instead, there are times when we put alot of pressure on the secondary to stop the passes and they do a decent job, but occasionally, you get things like the ending of the Jacksonville game last year as a result of the inconsistent pass rush.
                Right? Then you're sitting there after the game thinking WTF?! We have the League's #2 ranked Defense...WTF?! Well that's why...

Comment

• MDFINFAN
                  • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Ed

I disagree, Pat Williams was a monster, Adams has never impressed me, and you know how I feel about him from last year's posting..He's only older now and less mobile..Ron Edwards is more of an unknown at this point to me. Maybe he's better than I think. So until it's proven on the field, without Pat, your run D is suspect...I like just about everyone else.

Reach for the stars

Comment

• MDFINFAN
                    • Jun 2003

I know this is stated over and over but McNally is one hell of a coach. The line does not worry me as much as it does everyone else.

In fact Phish fans are the only ones who should be concerned because we are going to pound you guys this year.

On the field, that's where it's proven.... McNally can only do so much, the personnel have to do the rest..it's like Houck, he's a good coach, but the people on the field have to execute...period.

Reach for the stars

Comment

• madness
                      • Apr 2003

I disagree, Pat Williams was a monster, Adams has never impressed me, and you know how I feel about him from last year's posting..He's only older now and less mobile..Ron Edwards is more of an unknown at this point to me. Maybe he's better than I think. So until it's proven on the field, without Pat, your run D is suspect...I like just about everyone else.

The Bills brass seems confident in Edwards. They wouldn't have let Pat walk(and not bring in a replacement) if Edwards was that big of a question mark.

I also don't think a team would risk a playoff birth on plugging a hole with an unknown talent.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                        Too sober for this...
                        • Apr 2004

PW was great, but I think you are shortchanging Adams.

Why is Ron Edwards an unknown to you? He played a significant portion of plays last year!!! He's not a rookie, and he's not inexperienced. He's bigger and faster than Pat, he's younger and has more stamina....Pat was being taken out on alot of plays last year. That shows that he just doesn't have the stamina to play a full game anymore and Edwards was playing a significant amt for him. There's no way you want to increase pay to a DT that is on his way down. I love PW, but had he truly followed what he said about giving Buffalo a discount, he would still be here.

Comment

• bills_fan_atic
                          • May 2003

Gaining Williams will help the Vikings more than losing him will hurt the Bills. I trust the Bills brass to get it right and in this case they were right in not breaking the bank for an aging DT who was asking for way too much money. If you're the Vikings and and you are close to making a serious run for a championship (I think they're close), it is an outstanding addition to their team and they have the cap room to do it. Besides, you draft to start your young players sooner than anticipated for situations just like this.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                            • Mar 2005

I agree, the better teams pick up our schemes and exploit our secondary. As good as our defense is we could use a "Bruce Smith" type pass rusher.

Comment

• MDFINFAN
                              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by madness
                              The Bills brass seems confident in Edwards. They wouldn't have let Pat walk(and not bring in a replacement) if Edwards was that big of a question mark.

I also don't think a team would risk a playoff birth on plugging a hole with an unknown talent.
                              yes they would..economics is economics, just like the phins letting Surtain go, it wasn't because they wanted to...reality check, your brass is hoping edwards can handle the job, they have no assurances. He did spot work last year, that's a little different that doing it full time.

Reach for the stars

Comment

Working...
                              X