PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas Everyone

Ingtar33
12-24-2002, 12:34 PM
Sorry about being AWOL the last few weeks, but I've been busy helping prep our staff for the NFL draft, and I think my eyes will fall out if I watch some vids of another game.

Just a few points about the last few games, the Bills D, Bills O, and the upcoming off-season.

The Bills defensive improvement has come about for several reasons. One, Schobel and Big Pat have come to play, in fact I think Schobel has finally turned the corner to become a consistent and good NFL DE. He has improved against the run, and he is keeping body contact to a minimum with the OL, allowing him to make plays all over the field. Two, Fletcher's play has improved by leaps and bounds. Three, the backup DL (when rotated in) are beginning to make plays, and earn their paycheck... this D will be something to see if Marcus Jones fully recovers and the Bills acquire a good DT to saddle up next to Big Pat. Three, our CB's are making plays on the ball, and Thomas finally gave us good NB play, forcing QBs to throw at Clements and Winfield for the first time this year. Four, the Bills have adjusted their D scheme slightly, as they have installed a 43 variant into their defensive packages, which features a little "cover-2" occasionally. As a result they are keeping 3 LBers on the field more often when teams go to 3WR sets, and as a result for the first time all season Jerry Grey has been able to force opposing O's to adjust to what he is doing. Finally, the Bills DBs have been aided by very high winds the last few weeks. Last Sunday the wind was howling through Wisconsin at a 30+ mph clip, rendering Brett Favre absolutely impotent.

The Offense, on the other hand has come apart at the seams, as a combination of factors has undone our once mighty unit. First and foremost the O has been absolutely hamstrung by the weather the last few weeks, as our downfield passing attack couldn't cope with the wind and cold. Because of this, the Packers last week, played 8men in the box nearly the whole game, knowing Bledsoe would have trouble with the deep ball. The result was men were getting open deep and Drew couldn't connect (trust me when I say that the wind was so bad you could see the ball change course on simple 10yard passes, let alone 30 or 40 yard bombs). Furthermore, Drew has started to slide backwards into some of his bad habits, as he isn't stepping into his throws, and he is starting to short-arm (semi institutional name [I've heard this called other things] for a flick of the wrist with no real arm or body motion) his passes (Drew always sort of short arms his passes, however he has this tendency to chuck 'n duck when a play breaks down which exacerbates the situation). In addition to Drew's problems we have a minor problem with drops, as our WRs have been dropping a lot of catchable balls the last few weeks. This tends to be a problem which crops up with QBs like Drew and Favre, as late in the season the weather is usually colder, making the ball hard to catch because these men throw so hard... just look at Drew's first INT, it hit Price between his numbers, he failed to catch it... INT. If the weather is better, that isn't a pick, as the ball would stick to Price better (the DB didn't get a hand on that ball, but might have impeded Price from getting two hands on it).

Gilbride, Williams, and Grey will all be back next year (so will Drew... my god people how many good QBs do you think are out there... how many could throw for 4000 yards, jeesh some of this criticism is insane, I recall Jimbo tossing up bigger stinkers in consecutive games, than Drew’s last two... furthermore, Drew played better than Favre in Favre's home stadium so calm down), and what I've seen this season the Bills would be insane not to make FS, OLB, and DT their priorities. Additionally, I doubt JR, Robinson or Centers will be back.

Merry Xmas! Too bad both the Fins and the Pats can't loose, however I'll be rooting for the Pats, so the Jets win the AFCE (with a win in GB) and the Pats and Fins will stay home... hehe that would be a great Xmas present.

ArcticWildMan
12-24-2002, 12:41 PM
:hail: Superb analysis as always!

Meery Christmas Ingtar!!

colin
12-24-2002, 12:54 PM
I freaking love Ingtar, he is the reason this is my favorite sports board. He has made me a better fan by showing me exactly where to look to assess some of our players and coaches.

I feel that GW will (he must) step in and force Gilbride to balance his attack (perhaps giving him a manditory number of runs in certain situations, just forcing Gilby to not repeat the same Madden 03 plays over and over), but not a huge change.

I feel Grey with some new talent, and him mixing in some different looks, but keeping the 46, will have a great D next year.

I also think we will keep centers, and use him a bit more. He is a big asset to the team and our best pass blocking non-olineman.

Merry Christmas.

JayWood
12-24-2002, 01:25 PM
Ingtar what can I say but GREAT JOB!! That was a great break down of the season, or at least of what we have seen over the last few weeks. I agree that coaching staff will all be back, even JG...i think the defesive play over the last few weeks has saved his job. Once again i agree with Colin, this board is the best on the web because of people like Ingtar...Merry Christmas everyone, I will be snowed in here in Rhode Island!!

TypicalBill
12-24-2002, 01:32 PM
great job Ingtar :up:

John Doe
12-24-2002, 01:49 PM
Ingtar = best poster of the year.

The_Philster
12-24-2002, 01:51 PM
:up:

shelby
12-24-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by John Doe

i agree with you there.....superb analysis every time he posts.

Thanks Ingtar....:urock:.....have a very Merry Christmas!

DIHARD2
12-24-2002, 09:41 PM
Ingtar33, thanks for another informative post and thread. You put a lot of thoughts in perspective, and we aren't sinking we are just learning how to sail the ship.

I hope you and yours has a fantastic holiday.

Merry Christmas to everyone and happy holidays to all.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

Cntrygal
12-24-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
Merry Xmas! Too bad both the Fins and the Pats can't loose, however I'll be rooting for the Pats, so the Jets win the AFCE (with a win in GB) and the Pats and Fins will stay home... hehe that would be a great Xmas present.

hehe.. that would be a fantastic present!!!

Great Job as always Ingtar! Welcome back! :cheers:

clumping platelets
12-24-2002, 10:24 PM
:sadwalk:

Too bad he doesn't for the Bills!!!!

Merry X-Mas ingtar (need an intern??) :chuckle:

Andrea1234
12-25-2002, 12:11 AM
great post you hit the nail on everything :) merry xmas to everyone and happy new year

mchurchfie
12-25-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by John Doe

I second that!!:up: Happy Holidays Ing!!;)

TigerJ
12-25-2002, 06:11 PM
It's unanymous (there aren't too many words I can't spell - that's one of them) Ingtar always has incredibly informative posts. When media types talk to pro football insiders they usually get general answers, and uniformative platitudes. Ingtar gives us the hard core info we want without sugar coating it. Props, Ingtar.